Fork Stanchion recall?

Well I had the checks done on my 2016 GS TE a couple of months ago at John Clark in Aberdeen, to be told that I would need the collars fitted but they were on back order.
In the meantime because the rubber covers at the top of the stanchions had been cut off the chromed portion of the legs started to rust at the top where it had been crimped.
A second visit was arranged and the Technician said that new fork legs were needed under warranty because of the rust, this was on a Monday while I was away on holiday.
Had a phone call on the Tuesday afternoon to say the bike was ready to pick up, what a result :D

Just waiting to have the bike All Year Bikered with ACF50 or maybe XCP and then put her away for the winter.

I had courtesy call from my dealer 2 weeks ago to see how i was getting on with the bike etc etc. Told them i had not ridden it since July due to the recall, just to see what the reaction was.

After putting me on hold for a couple of minutes they said my new parts had arrived that very same day! How lucky am i?

I said great, when you coming to pick the bike up? as i don't fancy a 140 mile round trip in this weather, especially with iffy forks.

They replied with a quote of £150 to pick it up! I said no thanks. I will rent a van for £40 and bring it up myself.

They then said can i wait till they have a delivery in my area and pick it up for £20.

Still waiting on that date.

I had courtesy call from my dealer 2 weeks ago to see how i was getting on with the bike etc etc. Told them i had not ridden it since July due to the recall, just to see what the reaction was.

After putting me on hold for a couple of minutes they said my new parts had arrived that very same day! How lucky am i?

I said great, when you coming to pick the bike up? as i don't fancy a 140 mile round trip in this weather, especially with iffy forks.

They replied with a quote of £150 to pick it up! I said no thanks. I will rent a van for £40 and bring it up myself.

They then said can i wait till they have a delivery in my area and pick it up for £20.

Still waiting on that date.

Did yours fail the inspection to see if the gap was outside specification? If it hasn’t been inspected then it is a trivial job to do it yourself - just push down the rubbers and take a look, if there is no discernible gap (use your finger nail) then just ride the bike to your dealer so they can check it out too - if they say there is no problem then just carry on riding it until they have the collars available.

Its not been inspected by myself or BMW.

I've had a recall letter and that's enough for me. As I don't ride in winter often, especially 140 miles for something that's not of my making, then I fail to see why I should have to waste half my weekend to get something sorted that surely the dealer should do?

And if you read my post properly then you would see that they DO have the parts.

Its not been inspected by myself or BMW.

I've had a recall letter and that's enough for me. As I don't ride in winter often, especially 140 miles for something that's not of my making, then I fail to see why I should have to waste half my weekend to get something sorted that surely the dealer should do?

And if you read my post properly then you would see that they DO have the parts.

Well fair enough if you don’t ride much, but if you want to ride this fork issue thing shouldn’t stop you.

I read that early LCs do not need the recall, presumably because they were built using left over stock of stanchions from the pre-LC bikes. These are apparently sufficiently different to not be susceptible to this fault.

Do you mean it is not part of the recall due to VIN ?
Think so. They just emailed me and said because it is a 2013 it is out of scope of the Warranty recall they say it started in 2014 and if I want my fork bushes fitting then I would have to pay for them

Sent from my London Taxi

Think so. They just emailed me and said because it is a 2013 it is out of scope of the Warranty recall they say it started in 2014 and if I want my fork bushes fitting then I would have to pay for them

Sent from my London Taxi

You will fine the crimp pattern is different on yours , the newer bike had an inferior crimp method , that's why you doint need it.

Took my bike into Balderston today on an unrelated issue - (wanted them to check out a cold start issue) - and they said we’ll do the fork stanchions while you wait as we now have the parts - was a pleasant surprise :)

Job done - there were no gaps but collars fitted, looks like a very neat fix for a problem I never had :)

Got my forks done on Thursday due to the recall. They said they didn’t fit my forks on the bike so put new top parts on as well .........bonus :D

Finally looks like my GSA being done this week at Cotswold. Must be stock now.

Is it one of those futuristic GS's

Sent from my London Taxi

The dealer the early LC's don't have the same forks as the later models. I sold the 2103 and purchased a new 2017 GSA which had to have the forks done. The person I sold my 2013 LC to was a friend and quite anal about the fork issue as we were all doing a 9,00 k ride to the top of Australia. He took my 2013 to the dealers and they said no issueon that year.

Back
Top Bottom