Fork Stanchion recall?

You did
If the R wasn't coming you would cancel due to delays at factory when they were held back at the factory - you wrote on here about it
So you took the S instead, in the end
Have you forgotten ?

I didn't cancel the order, I switched it to the S. I had no intention of cancelling my order completely, and certainly wouldn't have just because of a resolvable issue.

The main reason that I switched to the S was because I'd ordered the Rallye.

They don't come out in testing, because only a tiny percentage of bikes are affected.

Which is why I'm baffled as to why people that have gone through the test ride process, worked out the figures, made the decision that this is the bike they want, then cancel because they've seen a picture of one bike with a fault.

Quite odd really.
Agree. Being blow way outta proportion. Probably 1 in 1000 if not more. I have a riding buddy with a 2014 GS with 54,000km and has seen tough riding roads. Zero stanchion issues.

Obviously using this logic BMW don't seem to understand 'all of the engineering involved' , the early bikes left the factory with no punchings or crimps and were an interference fit (this did not work), modified by technicians putting dimple punch marks into the stanchions to stop them fretting and failing (this did not work either ) , subsequent production models were modified with the punched dimples being replaced by the factory crimping the stanchions to the top fixing (the ones that are now failing).

This problem has been rumbling on now since 2013/2014 , yes it is causing more problems in areas of the world where the bikes are being used as they are intended (off road) and not in the UK/Europe where most GS/GSa's are glorified 2 wheel Chelsea Tractors .

What makes it worse is BMW have covered the crimped joint with a rubber boot so on doing a casual pre ride check on your bike unless you remove it you will not see the initial tell tale marks of failure.

BMW have had 2 attempts at fixing an obvious engineering fault ( one failure like this is too many) that should have been picked up in pre production testing , this is now the 3rd attempt to fix the problem rather than re engineering the fixing of the parts ( ie a screw thread )

The rubber sleeves have always been there as far as I can remember.

As an aside I was looking at the forks this morning before I came to work, there is Marzzochi written on the seals - have the LC forks always been made by them?

http://www.marzocchimoto.com/en/products/telelever-41/

Agree. Being blow way outta proportion. Probably 1 in 1000 if not more. I have a riding buddy with a 2014 GS with 54,000km and has seen tough riding roads. Zero stanchion issues.

I doubt anywhere near as many as that, with the volume of LC's they've sold since 2013.

Just chill, don't worry and go with the flow - check your forks regularly and if your bike is recalled then get it seen to :)

Apparently they aren't sending letters out here and just doing them when brought in for service. My bike doesn't show up on the Aussie BMW website for any service actions or recalls.

well if it comes apart and kills someone in the uk, you may have a different view.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Shit happens but no need to get totally paranoid, the fact that a few people have had issues when the bike is used heavily off-road then a regular inspection would be wise, otherwise don't panic Mr. Mainwaring :)

The recall will hit, if it's going to, within the next 2 weeks. Just been told by my local dealer.

If it happens we will get a letter from BMW or the dealer apparently.

Spoke to mine this morning while the corrosion was being photographed for BMW to decide what to do.

He had no idea about the whole issue...coincidentally had had a phone call from some-one asking this morning, but this was the first he'd heard of it.

All very odd.

Actually ..

If you do you homework and look , youll find its way more than one bike, there now a facebook page dedicated to it.Its quite a few actually.If you want to ride your 17k russian revolver, be my guest.It may only be a tiny percentage that have failed , but people win the lottery all the time with odds way less than this .
Personally mine and my wifes health is way more important than a bike with a design flaw. Theyve got this bit wrong in my opinion, they will indeed in time fix it,our local bee em dealer is great.
Ive got the sales guy on the look out for a nice 1200 gsa pre WC.Im quite happy to spend my money with them, just not on this WC bike ,until its all fully sorted. Having sent my missus down the road head first at 30 mph, due to my shed sized stupidity, of way too many Irish beers the night before, i dont want this to happen again, and damage limitation is the name of my game, bikes are indeed dangerous ,however reducing the risk is where im at.
The other reason for cancelling the order is the speedometer/headlamp theft issue ,alongside the really poor engagement of first gear. When you think how much you are spending on it, it should be of first class quality, it wasnt. I was gonna try and lower the tickover to try and help with the crunchy first gear, and install some security fasteners to stop the clock theft issue,but the fork saga appeared, and the love affair was over with an instant divorce.The money these things cost would buy two decent brand new yamahas.Im sorry if i sound like a prick,but that thats me,and thats why i cancelled it.Maybe BMW will thrash them even harder on testing and do something about the problems quicker than they historically have done.It took them years to sort out the 1200 gsa rear hubs cracking where the were widely reported.money money money...it should be punter punter punter.
Still, 4 days to the hogroast ,and ive still got my 1150, so all is well.:thumb

If you do you homework and look , youll find its way more than one bike, there now a facebook page dedicated to it.Its quite a few actually.If you want to ride your 17k russian revolver, be my guest.It may only be a tiny percentage that have failed , but people win the lottery all the time with odds way less than this .
Personally mine and my wifes health is way more important than a bike with a design flaw. Theyve got this bit wrong in my opinion, they will indeed in time fix it,our local bee em dealer is great.
Ive got the sales guy on the look out for a nice 1200 gsa pre WC.Im quite happy to spend my money with them, just not on this WC bike ,until its all fully sorted. Having sent my missus down the road head first at 30 mph, due to my shed sized stupidity, of way too many Irish beers the night before, i dont want this to happen again, and damage limitation is the name of my game, bikes are indeed dangerous ,however reducing the risk is where im at.
The other reason for cancelling the order is the speedometer/headlamp theft issue ,alongside the really poor engagement of first gear. When you think how much you are spending on it, it should be of first class quality, it wasnt. I was gonna try and lower the tickover to try and help with the crunchy first gear, and install some security fasteners to stop the clock theft issue,but the fork saga appeared, and the love affair was over with an instant divorce.The money these things cost would buy two decent brand new yamahas.Im sorry if i sound like a prick,but that thats me,and thats why i cancelled it.Maybe BMW will thrash them even harder on testing and do something about the problems quicker than they historically have done.It took them years to sort out the 1200 gsa rear hubs cracking where the were widely reported.money money money...it should be punter punter punter.
Still, 4 days to the hogroast ,and ive still got my 1150, so all is well.:thumb

I reckon you have hit the nail on the head,I can't disagree with anything you have said

Back
Top Bottom