Fork Stanchion recall?

As mentioned, some dealers are inspecting and doing nothing,
My local dealer explained the action went live today and they have no tooling , its a visual inspection and do nothing or replace if there is more than a 0.2mm gap,
I have a concern as many that there may be more catastrophic failures before a uk solution matches other markets,
i will keep checking my 64 reg gs now we are aware there is a concern, not too worried short term,
Roamer

My dealer didn't seem to bothered when I asked if it's worth checking before I take the bike to Italy in 3 weeks. I'll print their email off, to be read at my funeral once they fly my dead body home!:D

My dealer didn't seem to bothered when I asked if it's worth checking before I take the bike to Italy in 3 weeks. I'll print their email off, to be read at my funeral once they fly my dead body home!:D

"Dear Nutjob,

Look - just fuck off on holiday and leave our mechanics alone! They have plenty to do, without dealing with you - Wimbledon is startiing, don't you realise??

We'll have a look at it if you manage home in one piece. Bum Voyage.

Yours,

Bert"

"Dear Nutjob,

Look - just fuck off on holiday and leave our mechanics alone! They have plenty to do, without dealing with you - Wimbledon is startiing, don't you realise??

We'll have a look at it if you manage home in one piece. Bum Voyage.

Yours,

Bert"

And stop being negative about BMW bikes.... :p

(stop shitting) :blast

From the BMW Motorrad Facebook page

Attachments

• IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 490
I haven't read all comments in this thread, but my opinion is this.

If you ride or drive any motorcycle or car in a 'high performance' environment they will break. Simples.

In motorsport with highly tuned cars, most are serviced after every single race, if not rebuilt.

Components get uprated at huge costs, so they can cope with the high stresses of performance use.

Showroom vehicles rarely are built to cope with the extreme demands of off-road high performance environments.

Yes you can go anywhere, but if you have absolutely no mechanical sympathy and effectively abuse your hardware, you will fail, your machine will fail.

So take a good look at how you treat your stuff before you complain.

In my opinion.

If you intend to use any vehicle in a high performance off road environment, seek professional 3rd party support in engineering components, that upgrade your machine to a higher specification.

Like most people would.

Not buying a showroom bike because one or two bikes failed (effectively after they were crashed) is nuts.

You lose by making that decision.

When in a high performance off road environment weight is your enemy.

The GS is heavy enough as it is, before you start loading it up with luggage.

So slamming all that weight around against rocks, holes and ridges, it would be reasonable to expect failures at some point.

Not expecting failures is naive

Which bike is not the biggest concern you should have, I'd be more concerned about which sat nav you should take :comfort

I updated it with all the maps when we got back last time, and won't be updating it before this trip!:D

So slamming all that weight around against rocks, holes and ridges, it would be reasonable to expect failures at some point.

I said something similar but got slagged off for it - a 100kg tosser + 250kg bike taking off on a ramp and slamming nose first into a pot hole will probably break something - obvious really but some people always want to blame others for their errors.

That is why, as a road rider, I am not concerned.

That is why, as a road rider, I am not concerned.

With the way the ABS slams the front down when you get air, there could be more of an issue than first thought.

I haven't read all comments in this thread, but my opinion is this.

If you ride or drive any motorcycle or car in a 'high performance' environment they will break. Simples.

In motorsport with highly tuned cars, most are serviced after every single race, if not rebuilt.

Components get uprated at huge costs, so they can cope with the high stresses of performance use.

Showroom vehicles rarely are built to cope with the extreme demands of off-road high performance environments.

Yes you can go anywhere, but if you have absolutely no mechanical sympathy and effectively abuse your hardware, you will fail, your machine will fail.

So take a good look at how you treat your stuff before you complain.

In my opinion.

So using this logic this logic the much vaunted world beating GS/GSA range which is hailed as THE offroad adventure motorcycle in the world should not be used in adverse conditions (check some of the videos of failures and they are not all jumping etc and are on gravel tracks ). Do we need to stick to A class well surfaced roads .

I would have no problem using a WP equipped KTM or similar in those conditions without the fear of the front end literally falling to bits.

As for the comment of only one or two bikes failing read up on the matter (especially on the Australian/South African and US/Canadian markets) as it is a lot more than that for BMW to be taking on water for fear of litigation

Anti-wheelie, not ABS dear.
Traction control using the ABS sensors to detect wheel spin Dear

Rear wheel going faster than the front due to front been in the air power cuts to stop detected wheel spin front slams down

Anti wheelie system would stop the wheelie before it had happened or control the amount of lift.

Back
Top Bottom