Fork Stanchion recall?

Attachments

• fork 19420816_814046658754664_8681249067937452875_n.jpg
    fork 19420816_814046658754664_8681249067937452875_n.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 5,012
I guess that if you give the front wheel a big enough clout then this can happen.

I check mine every time I wash the bike - pull down the little rubber cover to clean any developing rust on the chrome (water can get trapped in the dimples - the dimples appear to crack the chrome surface) and take a peek to see if all is well - simples.

It's happened to many people and it's sheer luck no one has died. The bike isn't fit for purpose if it cant be taken off road without the risk of major mechanical failure. There's still nothing that will keep me with BMW when the GSA comes up for replacement.

https://www.facebook.com/GS1200ForkIssue/

If its any consolation, my local dealer hasnt seen a duff one yet.he was gob smacked to find out about it.i reckon its the heat, the metal expands a knatts cock and starts to allow a to and froing motion in the top of the tube making it egg shaped, then the bush drops out. A guy in the states has started making bomb proof clamps to keep the bush in place, $140.
Ive not seen one in a cold climate yet, so im deffo going down the heat route.Ive checked my 1150 and its as solid as the day it was made.

Is it worth just booking the bike into the dealers and have them check even if there hasn't been a recall.?

Just move the piece of rubber at the top, you can see for yourself. Not sure about the heat, there's a guy in the UK who likes to take the bike off road and does big mileage and he's had it happen twice now, but not to total failure he noticed an oil leak and checked to find it coming loose.

Looks like it should be pretty easy to check it for peace of mind - just a case of getting the front wheel off the ground, pulling the cover down and checking for a gap. Might have to have a nose round mind on the weekend just to be safe.

Looks like it should be pretty easy to check it for peace of mind - just a case of getting the front wheel off the ground, pulling the cover down and checking for a gap. Might have to have a nose round mind on the weekend just to be safe.

Done it this am...!

No need to lift front wheel, just peel rubber UP to expose the join....which looked fine.

Spoke to the dealers they said the bike wasn't shown as subject to a recall....but we've seen before than BMW customers in US and elsewhere get different treatment to UK.

Got to take my Jun '15 bike in to have corrosion on engine casings, heads, and FD looked at. None of it affects its use but not what I expect from a less than 2 year old premium bike.

I guess that if you give the front wheel a big enough clout then this can happen.

I check mine every time I wash the bike - pull down the little rubber cover to clean any developing rust on the chrome (water can get trapped in the dimples - the dimples appear to crack the chrome surface) and take a peek to see if all is well - simples.
If you look at the first facebook link above you can see that there is no signs of corrosion visible on one of them. It would seem that the crimps are not a strong enough method to hold the tube in place. I don't know if the end of the suspension stroke is contained by the shock or the stantions.

yeah I have heard its big issue on Facebook ......not that i believe much crap on there , but this seems to be escalating....some people quote you dont have to take the bike off road for this to happen...if you hit a large pothole for instance....mines in for service in the next day so I will ask them to check it and confirm its ok.

Scary bit is that reports of this fault have been circulating for at least 2 years possibly more and it is only now that a safety recall check procedure has been initiated after BMW consistently denying that there was a problem

it's more lateral forces on the Telelever stanchions isn't it? as the bottom yoke has a rose joint on the telelever arm so forces wise, your'e getting a pivot point at the arm? Compression wise thats all in the front mono shock isn't it?. I couldn't believe the forks are only held to the top yoke with bushes! (which if there were compression forces would push through.)

Done it this am...!

No need to lift front wheel, just peel rubber UP to expose the join....which looked fine.

Spoke to the dealers they said the bike wasn't shown as subject to a recall....but we've seen before than BMW customers in US and elsewhere get different treatment to UK.

Got to take my Jun '15 bike in to have corrosion on engine casings, heads, and FD looked at. None of it affects its use but not what I expect from a less than 2 year old premium bike.

If you look at the instructions in the Oz recall note it does say to lift the front wheel before checking. Whether a slight gap will close up if the front wheel is loaded I don’t know, but I’d rather stick with exactly what BMW are saying to be safe.

Edit: Though the irony of putting faith in BMW here isn’t lost on me...

All it takes is for the solid top cap to be threaded and screw into the top of the stanchion the same as almost all conventional forks for the past 70 years.

Obviously cheaper to fix it using a couple of crimps !

Back
Top Bottom