Fork Stanchion recall?

Collar fitted today!
b0ae4444e06fb5cf8780443267905c32.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Looks just like mine, and now we can't tell should the forks start to separate despite the collar!

Had my recall letter a few weeks ago but heard nothing from the dealer so I emailed them.

Reply was waiting on parts from the mother ship.

I replied that they would need send a van for the bike as a 200 mile round trip in Autumn/Winter was not on the cards. No reply to that one as yet.

Looks just like mine, and now we can't tell should the forks start to separate despite the collar!

I don't have an water cooled GS but following thread with interest. Looks a neat job. Perhaps a discreetly placed blob of paint at the base joint (to show whether stanchion has shifted) would suffice if you're worried?

When I was in the other week the dealer techie reckons that BMW are going to introduce a new design of fork to overcome the problem on new bikes ....................apparently rumour has it that the top fitting will be threaded into the stanchion as per the 1100.1150.and 1200 aircooled bikes were .

That's progress for you !!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was in the other week the dealer techie reckons that BMW are going to introduce a new design of fork to overcome the problem on new bikes ....................apparently rumour has it that the top fitting will be threaded into the stanchion as per the 1100.1150.and 1200 aircooled bikes were .

That's progress for you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like my Sept 2013 !

I don't have an water cooled GS but following thread with interest. Looks a neat job. Perhaps a discreetly placed blob of paint at the base joint (to show whether stanchion has shifted) would suffice if you're worried?

That's a great idea. I put a tie wrap around the stanchion, but I'm not convinced it was tight enough to not move down the stanchion just through G forces, which would be misleading.

I have the rallye version bought in June this year, went away to Europe in August and had dropped into Munich dealership for an oil change and they never even bothered checking the forks.. I'd kinda of expected them to fit the collars there and then, but nah..:nenau

Got back to UK to find the BMW letter to get it checked. Again like a lot of customers my bike was fine, dealership has tools but no collars and massive queue for bikes to get fixed.

I don't expect to get this added this year tbh..:nenau

Having been told when booking they didn't have the parts to do mine when it was serviced mine on Monday, they had found some and fitted when I picked the bike up later. In between, I spent the day having my internal organs scrambled and arse assaulted during 140 miles on a loan R9T Scrambler. The GS is a veritable magic carpet compared to the Scrambler.

Having been told when booking they didn't have the parts to do mine when it was serviced mine on Monday, they had found some and fitted when I picked the bike up later. In between, I spent the day having my internal organs scrambled and arse assaulted during 140 miles on a loan R9T Scrambler. The GS is a veritable magic carpet compared to the Scrambler.

Always fancied something a bit cooler bought a guzzi cali a few years ago , like riding a pogo stick on top of a space hopper when pushing in the twisties , got a shot of my mates gs , exactly the quote I came out with " magic carpet" , now had one for 3 years my best bike ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly the same as I was given on my last service, thought exactly the same AND it was pissing of rain, you forget how much protection a decent screen gives you. Definitely not for me.

My GS Rallye goes in for the upgrade tomorrow. Our dealer has a rusty F800 and a 600 scooter (which isn't bad) for loan bikes. So I walk home :)

Phoned dealers, who naturally asked for the bikes reg No.

"That reg isn't in our system!" Gave reg No again "Nope can't find it!" Ok gave name and address ........... Nope no record!

Ok listen can I book the bike in anyway, "ok that'll be 3 weeks time, it will take around 1.5 hours are you happy to wait". "Yes".

Get to dealers go to service desk, gave reg No and name. Riffles through paperwork on the desk, "no can't find anything". They check the tubes (not really required as I had already looked and they are good).

"When can I book it in for the recall to be done." head scratch ....."Well we don't know when we will get the parts! Best thin to do is give us a call every now & then"!

What kind of service was that? Maybe time to go to another dealer for sure!!

Phoned dealers, who naturally asked for the bikes reg No.

"That reg isn't in our system!" Gave reg No again "Nope can't find it!" Ok gave name and address ........... Nope no record!

Ok listen can I book the bike in anyway, "ok that'll be 3 weeks time, it will take around 1.5 hours are you happy to wait". "Yes".

Get to dealers go to service desk, gave reg No and name. Riffles through paperwork on the desk, "no can't find anything". They check the tubes (not really required as I had already looked and they are good).

"When can I book it in for the recall to be done." head scratch ....."Well we don't know when we will get the parts! Best thin to do is give us a call every now & then"!

What kind of service was that? Maybe time to go to another dealer for sure!!

They're all like that in the West Midlands as well. No idea when they will have stock. I'm on a list but it's whenever they get around to it.

Had mine checked about 6 weeks ago. Emailed my dealer a few weeks ago to see when parts would be in........ sorry no idea. I emailed back stating that as it had been 6 weeks since the forks had been checked and that this fault could manifest itself at any time. I suggested that he set up a periodic inspection routine so that mine and other bikes are inspected in the interim. Guess what 2 days later parts arrived and forks done the following week.

I'm sure it was just a coincidence but worth a try.

Just had my "End of Warranty" inspection at Pidcocks. "Do you ride off road?" "Yes". "Ok, we'll fit the collars".

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The seller had my new GSA serviced at BMW Carlisle a few weeks ago before I collected it and they fitted the new collars.

Perhaps some dealers are holding onto the parts for fitting to bikes they already have on the showroom floor or know will be arriving on part-ex in the near future.

The seller had my new GSA serviced at BMW Carlisle a few weeks ago before I collected it and they fitted the new collars.

Perhaps some dealers are holding onto the parts for fitting to bikes they already have on the showroom floor or know will be arriving on part-ex in the near future.

I think that they are rationing the parts to those that actually have a problem and those that do significant off-road riding.

Brand new blue and white one in the showroom with new TFT display (nice) with no collars fitted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick my new bike up tomorrow , lets see if it has collars fitted or will it be subject to a safety recall

Back
Top Bottom