Fork Stanchion recall?

Hi Nutty yes it,s my first GS after 8 or 9 GSA's so I was a little concerned but the suspension is fcukin amazing i had the GSA seats and that also makes it comfier for me. I also like the hill hold i know corny but i had a mountain top camber hold it was really good. Just been to Barcelona etc etc and covered 5k in 2 moths loving it.Ok you have to stop a little more often for gas, but when I'm group riding we stop anyway for XR and Trumpets etc. Its 3.5stone lighter and thats great for me. Tried other makes and some chain driven bikes to see, but for me the shaft and bells and whistles come into it. I see the 2018 GSA is a lump heavier than my last 2016 GSA so all in all i think i made the right choice :)

You did.:thumb

I took mine out at the weekend, first time since doing a 2500 mile trip on the KTM, and I'll admit it felt slow and lazy at first. I even started to question if I should get rid of it. But by the end of the day of riding nadgery back roads, and it all made sense. Great bikes.:beerjug:

Just rang Manchster BMW after recieving the recall letter even though my VIN is not in the listed recall range. Im in the queue but they are still awaiting parts and some may not be done till new year ,priority seems to be those doing high off-road millage.

How do they know who is and who isn't riding off road ? did I miss a survey or application form or something asking this ?

How do they know who is and who isn't riding off road ? did I miss a survey or application form or something asking this ?

Everyone rides off road. Waitrose & Starbucks are technically off road.:D

Took mine to Vines today, had it checked and all within tolerances. There is a huge backlog of parts and they will call when they have them, I believe it may be September by the time BMW have got them distributed, glad it is safe to ride though.

No issues from my point of view and Vines as always go the extra mile. :D

MIND THE GAP

My 2015 gs was outside the tolerance level, which I knew from checking it myself after reading about it on this forum several weeks ago, I got in touch with my dealer straight away, they couldn't do anything until yesterday . they duly came to pick up the bike as the risk was to great for me to ride the bike , phoned today to be told the fork stanchions needed to be replaced but they had no idea when they would be receiving any new stock, not pleased as its nearly a month now without the bike. I took it upon myself to phone BMW UK to complain, was fobbed of with a load of bollocks about BMW MOTORRAD coming over to access the situation !!!!! got back to the dealer again , and they phoned on my behalf to say how displeased I was, the long and the short of it, fork stanchions being delivered tomorrow........ C W Motorcycles of Dorchester have been outstandingly good.
I came back from a 2000 mile trip of France and Spain at the beginning of July, twisties, a few fire tracks , lots of high speed sweeping roads, blisfully unaware!!!!!!
cheers Simon

My 2015 gs was outside the tolerance level, which I knew from checking it myself after reading about it on this forum several weeks ago, I got in touch with my dealer straight away, they couldn't do anything until yesterday . they duly came to pick up the bike as the risk was to great for me to ride the bike , phoned today to be told the fork stanchions needed to be replaced but they had no idea when they would be receiving any new stock, not pleased as its nearly a month now without the bike. I took it upon myself to phone BMW UK to complain, was fobbed of with a load of bollocks about BMW MOTORRAD coming over to access the situation !!!!! got back to the dealer again , and they phoned on my behalf to say how displeased I was, the long and the short of it, fork stanchions being delivered tomorrow........ C W Motorcycles of Dorchester have been outstandingly good.
I came back from a 2000 mile trip of France and Spain at the beginning of July, twisties, a few fire tracks , lots of high speed sweeping roads, blisfully unaware!!!!!!
cheers Simon

I had the recall notice which states "IMPORTANT VEHICLE SAFETY RECALL" in big red letters suggesting that I need to get the modification done as quickly as possible. Called my dealer who cannot provide any details of when parts will be available! Offered to check my bike but wouldn't commit to providing a courtesy bike if mine is not safe to ride! Not very good service!

I have nothing to offer this thread, other than a desire to see it reach the half-ton...

...been self-checking for gaps since the issue started getting big attention (start of the summer), happily completed 2000 mile tour up to highlands fully laden with the mother of my children on the perch at end of June... received recall notice on Tuesday, called dealer (Cannon Braintree) yesterday... as anticipated they do not currently have the parts available, but would be happy to complete the check if I booked in, and recommended I called back in 1 week to get an updated status.

Perfectly content with the bike, BMW's response, and the service offered/received from Cannon.

Not much of post really; move along, nothing to see here...

Gutted - within tolerance, which means I've not had an 'extreme enough adventure' However, I have blown my 2nd water pump. Great service at Rybrook - as ever.

Gutted - within tolerance, which means I've not had an 'extreme enough adventure'

That's the spirit. Try harder. Those without gaps ride like poofters.

The future is whatever colour you want.

That's the spirit. Try harder. Those without gaps ride like poofters.

Or we own the superior Sept 2013 models, with screwed in fork tops, lighter cranks, heel guards made of metal not plastic. Just an all round superior bike.

Heated grips are shit though.:hide

You got knobbly tyres on yours splashed with real mud and dirt? Don't think so. You fit the description :D

You may have a higher resale value now :green gri I said to a friend a, long time ago, that the 2013 model if you want a GS with some poke is the one to go for.

Had my 26,000 mile 2015 GS checked today, no problem (as I already knew) - no date for the mod, maybe a few weeks before they have enough parts - off to the Picos next week with peace of mind :)

Popped in to my dealer today, no issues with mine. It'll get the new collars early September.

Popped in to my dealer today, no issues with mine. It'll get the new collars early September.

If you're lucky, a suit from BMW was at my local dealership this week he said October is more likely, so we'll all be lucky if they are done by Christmas, mine have been checked and need the collars fitting, for peace of mind it would have been good to get this mod done before I leave for a Euro jaunt in a couple of weeks.
BMW have handled this really badly.....piss poor customer service.

If you're lucky, a suit from BMW was at my local dealership this week he said October is more likely, so we'll all be lucky if they are done by Christmas, mine have been checked and need the collars fitting, for peace of mind it would have been good to get this mod done before I leave for a Euro jaunt in a couple of weeks.
BMW have handled this really badly.....piss poor customer service.

I said to the dealer that if my bike is safe, I'm happy for them to do others before mine, but they insisted that they have the parts for my bike, and will be doing it on the 2nd September.

I've had mine checked at the 12k service, no need for anything yet, but will have a modification at the next service. I'm completely happy that's the plan, it's never been off road, nor is it likely to in my ownership.

Back
Top Bottom