September: moist or monsoon?

muppix

Reaction score
Planning my first voyage to the Emerald Isle in September, and thought it might be prudent to ask if this is a good time of year to go. I'm no fair weather rider but then again spending all day every day in waterproofs isn't my idea of fun either. If you were me, would you forget about September and choose another month?

There really is no rhyme or reason to our weather patterns.

The only thing you can be assured of is that it won't be freezing.......... after that, any kind of weather is fair game.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Wot he says.
July tends to be our rainy season and we generally get reasonable weather early and late summer.
Don't think you'll go too far wrong in September. At least you won't have to watch out for as many numbty tourists in their hire cars at that time of the year.
If it has 2017 number plate, don't get too close, it's probably a hire car.

My thoughts exactly, thanks for confirming!
I'm generally a fan of September when it comes to bike trips, but was beginning to doubt my choice after reading USA Today. (yeah, I know. Blame Google)

September can be fantastic in Ireland :Motomartin

P1010434-XL.jpg

P1010414-XL.jpg

It is traditional in Ireland to have a nice warm spell, early in September. :)

... because that's when the school exams are on. :blast

So far I'm hearing nothing but encouragement. =)

Plan is to arrive in Dublin, bimble down to Cork, maybe see if I can find a pub somewhere. Ring of Kerry on day 2, tick that South Pole Inn box in Annascaul, spend day 3 sloshing around Connemara. Up to Glenveagh then back via Giant's Causeway 'n Belfast on day 4.

Not really doing Ireland justice with this 4 day snatch & grab, but hope to get a taste for some specific regions to target next time round.

You'll find progress is slow (on the right roads ;) ) in Ireland, so may not cover as many miles as you plan for in a day.
If "local knowledge" is any use - or just info / assistance ~ let us know. i'm in Dublin - Ireland's small enough that you'll never be far from another Tosser. :aidan

Magic, thanks. Local knowledge is the best kind, so maybe just one question: if you had a 3 day pass, where would you go?

I would say your coverage estimate is optimistic. Think west coast of Scotland type roads, lots of time and mileage to get anywhere. I'd pick one side or the other, north or south, and just do that. But hard to go wrong really. :thumb2

I would say your coverage estimate is optimistic. Think west coast of Scotland type roads, lots of time and mileage to get anywhere. I'd pick one side or the other, north or south, and just do that. But hard to go wrong really.
Agreed: The Germans come to Ireland and only ever get half way up. As others have said, if you get the right roads, you do not get far in a day. If in doubt, join the Wild Atlantic Way, and follow it. You cannot go wrong there.
September is usually the driest month in the year here, July the wettest. None are, however, as wet as the Isle of Man anytime.
Myke

Trip suggestions...

Magic, thanks. Local knowledge is the best kind, so maybe just one question: if you had a 3 day pass, where would you go?

Fastest way to get to the Atlantic coast is to head straight over towards Connemara (our western province). I've stayed (and brought some UK friends to) a lovely B&B in a village called Foxford, which is approx. 3hrs ride from Dublin. From there you have access to the roads/scenery north of Galway, Achill island which is due west of Foxford (well worth a visit) and you also have Sligo within easy reach (again, some great roads and sights in the area).

If want more info on routes to take/things to see just let me know and I'll send on more detail. The B&B in Foxford is called the Foxford Lodge - http://www.thefoxfordlodge.ie/ Rooms are perfect, breakfast is yummy and the hosts are dead on. I've no vested interest except for being a happy customer several times over.

If the weather apps say there's 1% or more chance of rain, it will rain. If it says 0%, it might not rain.

Ireland was designed for well-vented laminated jackets & pants (Rukka, Klim, Dane, Stadler, etc).

If you don't have that kind of gear, and don't like either a) regularly donning and doffing your rain pants and jacket or b) taking a chance that it's "just a shower" (it's not - you'll get soaked), then Ireland could prove a frustrating and disappointing experience.

But if you're lucky and the rain stays away, it's certainly one of the most scenic countries there is.

Top tip: don't tell the universe where you're going. The universe likes putting rain where it knows you're going. Well it does with me anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it.

PhaedrusMC - I wear the BMW Rally 2 suit because it keeps me dry and I don't care what I look like. When camping I'll occasionally throw an all-in-one Rukka over the top as well, since that can spend the night outside and I get to start the day dry. Will probably bring it along on this trip too, even though I'm planning to B&B all the way. In terms of scenery I'm expecting the same as here on IoM, just an awful lot more of it. ;)

Hatcho - thanks for the tip! I normally use AirBnB quite a bit, but recommendations from a fellow tosser are always gold, repeat recommendations more so. Ta.

Myke Rocks & Tengiz99 - I take your point about ze Germans, but they've crossed half a continent at great expense, and will probably stop at every photo point and gift shop. I'm nipping across because I fancy a ride, and the ferry to Dublin is less than half price compared to Liverpool. Still, now that you've induced me to do some maths I realise that an average speed of 25 or 30 (I'm thinking West Coast Scotland) still makes 200 miles into a long day, so maybe I'll revise that loop.

Cheers all! :thumb2

If it were me, I'd do a motorway blast to Galway and get on the Wild Atlantic Way going north. Enjoy! Look forward to some pics on the blog. :thumb2

ill be iom in sept - was gonna do ireland the same week but changed me mind

been ireland the last 4 years in september and it hasnt rained (ive already been 7 times since january) and only caught rain twice (weekend just gone and march)

if you keep off the laughably named motorways and stick to r and l roads

youll enjoy but wont get as far as you think

Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it.

PhaedrusMC - I wear the BMW Rally 2 suit because it keeps me dry and I don't care what I look like. When camping I'll occasionally throw an all-in-one Rukka over the top as well, since that can spend the night outside and I get to start the day dry. Will probably bring it along on this trip too, even though I'm planning to B&B all the way. In terms of scenery I'm expecting the same as here on IoM, just an awful lot more of it. ;)

Hatcho - thanks for the tip! I normally use AirBnB quite a bit, but recommendations from a fellow tosser are always gold, repeat recommendations more so. Ta.

Myke Rocks & Tengiz99 - I take your point about ze Germans, but they've crossed half a continent at great expense, and will probably stop at every photo point and gift shop. I'm nipping across because I fancy a ride, and the ferry to Dublin is less than half price compared to Liverpool. Still, now that you've induced me to do some maths I realise that an average speed of 25 or 30 (I'm thinking West Coast Scotland) still makes 200 miles into a long day, so maybe I'll revise that loop.

Cheers all! :thumb2

Motorway from Dublin to Cork is also a gem, almost empty compared to a Uk motorway so you can whizz down to Cork in no time and set off from there.

Back
Top Bottom