R1200GS corrosion

Tfemark

Reaction score
Ok I am fairly new to GS ownership and I have to say for a supposedly premium product the build quality is far from premium, I have two bikes from the same year a Tiger 955 and a 1200GS both spent their lives out in the street and pretty much unloved cosmetically, the Tiger has cleaned up very well with virtually no corrosion( just a very small amount on the rims) the BMW on the other hand is corroded everywhere, there is virtually no paint left on the engine and the rear subframe is awful. The bike is currently going through a rebuild and as it's a 2004 model it's being rebuilt with a later engine and electrics which also means abs2, hopefully as all components will be re coated or painted I can banish the corrosion problems. But my point is that for a supposed premium product it is very fragile and very poorly built. Triumph explorer for me in the future I think.
Very disappointed

I always found triumph had better quality of finish, let down by the actual engineering/build quality. My Tiger 855i looked fantastic after 10 years and weathered far better than my GS has, but was plagued with reliability issues, culminating in a blown head gasket. My early '96 S3 was similar

I've got a 2004 955 Tiger and a 2004 gs and to answer an earlier post the gs has slightly more mileage but both have two previous owners, there is no getting away from it the gs finish is garbage compared to the triumph and I have had no problems with the Tiger at all, totally reliable. The GS is supposed to be a quality product and it just isn't

I've got a 2004 955 Tiger and a 2004 gs and to answer an earlier post the gs has slightly more mileage but both have two previous owners, there is no getting away from it the gs finish is garbage compared to the triumph and I have had no problems with the Tiger at all, totally reliable. The GS is supposed to be a quality product and it just isn't

Get rid of it, and stop moaning then.:nenau

Ah sorry, when you wrote:

I have two bikes from the same year a Tiger 955 and a 1200GS both spent their lives out in the street and pretty much unloved cosmetically

I though we had a potentially good comparison of two bikes that had been owned & ridden by the same person form new then you went and added that both bikes had two previous owners :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom