start no start

bmwr1100s

Reaction score
hi guys
new to the gs but had a 1100s before,my problem is it doesnt start,then after couple of attempts it does,if i set off it will run fine,until i stop,then it may or may not start again and battery gets really low.
So far i have checked fuel squirting from QD pipes,from injectors,removed checked starter and greased pos neg terminals,checked fuses,fuel in tank fresh,spark plugs have sparks and stick coils checked,one is new,new battery fitted(12 21ah agm sealed type) and a car battery attached with jump leads to rule out bike battery getting low.
Confused,can see fuel in pulses from injectors and see sparks on plugs but no go ??????:confused:
Whats going on
Cheers in advance
Steve

if you have fuel and spark you may want to take off the plastic front cover and look at the hall sensor, sometimes a worn alternator belt can shred bits off and clog the sensor. even if there's nothing clogging it the hall sensor could still be suspect. sure it could be other things as well but worth checking out.

Now back at injectors which are not squirting fuel,so thinking they are to blame,injector cleaner goes thru them when connected to 12v batt,and fuel gushes out of pipe that feeds injectors,so where do i go from here,black box brain thingy,hall sensor ??

thanks will have a look at that,did have the cover off to look at belt and didnt notice a sensor when problem first started,thinking battery was low and not enough power to run lights, starter,and ignition

Hall sensor check.
Plugs out
Injectors removed and refitted to pipework,
Ignition on.
Side stand up
In gear.
Turn back wheel in forward motion.
The fuel pump should be priming.
Injectors will squirt (should) at tdc on each side - keep hands away from the mist.

Hall sensor sometimes fail when warm so this method is not ruling out hall sensor failure

Btw... I've got some spare working injectors off my 1150gs if you need them, but as has been said they don't just fail together, so it's a common fault affecting fuel supply.
Recheck your quickfits and make sure you have fuel.... that's been done before

Thanks flatdog,i tried your method and the pump primed and each injector fired so put it back together and got it to fire up and run 6 times in a row,but dont know whats been cured,what was the problem ???.Confused but pleased

Sounds more electrical which can be frustrating to find.

What I always listen for is the in tank pump running when switching ignition on.
If it's not running the bike won't start and I dont attempt to start it.

If this happens to you then fault find and get the pump running:
Ignition key turned on.

Jiggle the ignition key
Turn handle bars side to side
Wiggle side stand
Check the tank wiring harness at the rhs connector block the female receivers splay and bad connection

What happened to me years ago with starting issues on my 1150
The little black relays in fuse box are interchangeable and can fail intermittently.
I checked the horn relay worked then swapped it with pump relay.
Fired up straight away.

Went and bought a set new from bmw, no problems with them since.

Just rambling thoughts which may help

thanks flatdog, steptoe, and tadhgocuilleain
I had been thinking battery as it sometimes turns over slowly and strained,hence the new battery,i shall strip it down this week (starter)and have a look.
Keen to find an answer as off to france in sept and dont fancy the worry of will it ,wont it ,breakdown on me.
will get some same relays too
Cheers

I thought my battery had gone, turned out to be the starter, magnets had come loose, it was turning over very slowly......then not at all..easy job to remove and strip.

Back
Top Bottom