Alicante and back

restandplay

Reaction score
Hi

Anyone fancy a low cost ride to Alicante and back?

Discounted ferry fare (30% off Ferry Price) . Ferry Cabin and hotel on route paid for. Time required 1 day on the ferry plus two across Spain and two Back. Therefore a week will more than cover it.

I now have a Triumph Tiger 800 XCx. Not a boy racer but an experienced rider especially in Spain. Know the country well and also speak some Spanish.

Route across Spain will take in the Picos and avoid motorways were possible.

Questions welcomed. Can go almost any date. Ideal if you fancy touring Spain but don't want to do it by yourself.

Derek

Hi Derek,
Interested in this and have a couple of weeks off-- 10 days off from 8th of September and also ten days off from 27th October if that's any good.
Steve

Hi Derek,
Interested in this and have a couple of weeks off-- 10 days off from 8th of September and also ten days off from 27th October if that's any good.
Steve

Hi Steve

Either date would be fine but I suspect the October date would be better. I will check out Brittany ferries and put together a planned route to give you an idea of what we can achieve. I expect catching the ferry out on the 27th and the return on the 3rd Nov (arriving back in the UK on 4th) would possible be the best dates. The fares for October are available now on the Brittany site (looks like £80 for bike and rider) with looks good. November prices not yet available. Fuel in Spain is about £1.00 a litre on average. The weather at the end of October should be still OK.

As I have said I will put together a plan so that you can see if it suits.

Derek

Hi Derek,
If I can convince SWMBO this is a good idea I may tag along too, if thats ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Meant to ask how many miles a day you're planning on doing?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi

Yes by all means. I normally plan for 6 to 6.5 hours of ridding per day which could mean 200 one day if in a mountainous area or 300 another on faster roads. Never much beyond that. When you take a few breaks for fuel, coffee etc that normally comes into a 9 to 10 hour day. Say start 9.30am on average and most days get to the hotel etc by 6 to 7 pm. Shower, Change and a drink before dinner.

Spain has some really good roads with little traffic and off the motorways good scenery. I tend to avoid too much motorway riding. I normally book hotels in advance through booking.com and share hotel rooms and cabin on the ferry (single beds, secure bike parking and food on site always being the requirement). You can off course have a single room but that I think just adds to the cost. Quite a few hotels cater for three sharing and I can easily book a 4 berth cabin instead of a two berth.

I will work out the exact route in due course and firm up on the cost involved. It is really cost effective planning it yourself and sharing the cabin etc. Essential that we ride at a speed you (we) are all comfortable with. I have been riding a long time and have done loads of trips to mainland europe and beyond but feel it is important to respect how others wish to ride and enjoy their trip. You might well be more experienced than myself but if not don't worry as there will be no pressure.

Derek

Hi Derek can you put me down as a maybe please.
I'll be able to say for definite once you've comfirmed the dates and I've looked at my work load cheers Paul

Hi Derek can you put me down as a maybe please.
I'll be able to say for definite once you've confirmed the dates and I've looked at my work load cheers Paul

Hi

Once Brittany ferries release their November dates (for the return journey) I will put together the complete itinerary. I am flexible on dates but the 27th October seems a favorite date for sailing from the UK to Spain.

Derek

Hi

Once Brittany ferries release their November dates (for the return journey) I will put together the complete itinerary. I am flexible on dates but the 27th October seems a favorite date for sailing from the UK to Spain.

Derek

Hi Brittany Ferries have released their schedule so I now have the price being Ferry each way including shared cabin and £8.10 per person towards breakfast (will more than cover the cost) will be £112.30 each way. That is leaving Portsmouth on Friday 27th October at 17.00 and returning back into Portsmouth at 19.45 on the 5th November. Really good price.

From Santander I propose to stay the first night in the Picos being the largest national park in mainland Europe. If you not been there before it is stunning. Then ride the twisties into Portugal and stay in Chaves. Work our way through the Portuguese mountains to the Costa del sol and then ride along the coast to Alicante. From there back to Santander. Daily mileage being about 250 and 6 to 7 hours ridding breaks will add to the time on the road.

The budget I think that will cover the trip Ferry return £224.60. Hotels £100 Food £140.00, Fuel £230 max. If you are still interested I will email you the route. I have toured Spain and Portugal many times and know the area well. Speak a bit of Spanish. The route will mainly be mountainous and very scenic suiting all skill levels. If I book the ferry I will have to lay out just £40.00 deposit with the balance (ferry only) payable 8 weeks before the sailing date.

Let me know if you are still keen.

Derek

Hi Derek,
Looking good.
Can you enable PM's in your account settings so email addresses etc can be sent to you.
Thanks

Hi Derek
Still interested, can you PM me an email address. cheers

The weather for inland Spain will most likely be low cloud ( most of Spain is approx 800 mtrs) so visibility may be poor. Also you may get some snow & frost nearer the ski resorts. Sorry!
When you get to Alicante let me know & we can have a rideout in the sunshine :thumb2

The weather for inland Spain will most likely be low cloud ( most of Spain is approx 800 mtrs) so visibility may be poor. Also you may get some snow & frost nearer the ski resorts. Sorry!
When you get to Alicante let me know & we can have a rideout in the sunshine :thumb2

Hi, good to see you still posting. Down in Spain in a couple of weeks time, maybe catch up? Dont think I can PM you though

Back
Top Bottom