It really is the Last Bulldog Bash at Marston

Hillfields

Reaction score
I think there was a thread last year saying 2016 was the last Bulldog Bash at Long Marston Airfield near Stratford on Avon. Well it's back again in August this year but it is definitely the last time at this venue. I just read in local paper that all businesses and clubs (there's a model flying club based there) have been served notice of eviction for November this year. The site already has outline planning permission for 400 houses and in Stratford councils 'strategic plan' (an oxymoron for self serving council politicians in my opinion) it is earmarked for 3500 homes. The developer has committed to build a western bypass for Stratford in order to get approval.
Still - key point is it could be the last time to go and see drag racing at Marston.
I haven't been for years, but still feels like passing of an era. Might try to make it along this year.

No drag strip thank fuck.

Two years ago we made the school boy error of camping near the feeder road to the drag strip.
Was there on the Thursday and all was peaceful with two dozen tents in our 'relaxed' acre, half a mile from the main tent and stages.
Come Friday, all hell broke loose with bikes thrashing up this narrow piece of tarmac on their way to the start line.
The decibels emitting from said machines were all consuming and to some degree melodious for the first half dozen before
our ears started to bleed (10.30am wtf).
There was only one thing for it. Went to the main tent area earlier than usual.:beer:
Been going on and off for years so it was put down to 'think lapse' re our usual pitch (we thought we'd have a change).:blast
Anyway, it was good craic, music and drink as usual.:beerjug:
Then everyone clears up after themselves and leaves a neat pile of filled bin bags for the bods clearing up.
A far cry from those smelly folk who attend political/music festivals.:)

Going again this year.
Been a few times before, I always camp as far down the drag strip as I can - but not too near the row of portaloos.

Back
Top Bottom