Earth battery cable

No idea what it looks like (so I could be talking bollox :D) but it can't be that special, I'd have thought any auto electrician would have cable and eyelets etc. If you were closer I'd have said call round and I'd sort one for you :comfort

No idea what it looks like (so I could be talking bollox :D) but it can't be that special, I'd have thought any auto electrician would have cable and eyelets etc. If you were closer I'd have said call round and I'd sort one for you :comfort

It's nowt special just well err well a battery neg earth cable ..:D
Just thought a cheap and available part but seemingly not. My lads basic cut out tonigh, got it going again but the cable is about half way frayed through at the crankcase end.

If they are no longer available I will get one made up . Bit of a faff though

Have a look at early 3 or 5 series BMW car ones you may be lucky how long does it need to be ?

EME have heavy duty sets at sensible prices, and a few service parts at good prices too which you can add to the package to keep the postage down.

Thanks all. I thought I may just whip it off, trim and refit the do dar.

I've used Halfords ready made earth and power cables on a ducati as a temporary measure..... and they are still on 4 years later. The cable ends may not line up exactly as you'd like, but they work and are a lot better than the original cables in relation to the starter motor turning over faster/sooner. Not as sexy as the fancy brands or DIY cables but pretty good.

Got around to taking the daft long earth cable off tonight .. Odd I thought .

It was earthed to the through bolt behind the little rubber clutch cable boot near the brake peddle , why would any one do that ?

Thought maybe the proper bolt was missing, or cross threaded or something , but no its perfect .

Lack of original replacement part ?

It's thicker than it should be hence there only being 50% gripped on the connectors, off a car maybe. But why do that ?

I'll get a proper one made up, unless its a tricky improvement on the original ?

Maybe my thoughts about the earth cable isn't the real issue.

If its thicker than the original?

Likely its someones effort at improving the earth pathway ?

Increased thickness or cross section i.e. "mm2" = the higher the area the better it can handle current

Moving it to that bolt, is again improving the cross sectional area for conduction

The increased thickness may also be compensating for increasing the length of the cable

Back
Top Bottom