K1600`s and Odyssesy Batteries?

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys(gals too, just to be safe eh :D),

Being very new to all things `K` what`s the word on the street regarding Odyssesy batteries :confused:

I`ve used them on my GS`s with excellent reliable performance for many years and they are known amongst us GS riders as a very good alternative to the OEM battery fitted to the GS, I suspect a few of us have them fitted.

What about the K range? Do they fit? Has any of you guys :bow fitted them and have some advice for a newbie like me?

Any guidance or thoughts always appreciated!

Ride safe,

Mark Hooton.

No, not at all - in fact IMHO it seems fine! It's just that with the Odyssey being a stronger better battery (in my experience on my GS's it seemed much better than the OEM ones) I was wondering if any of the K lads had any experiences? Seemingly not, which says something but early days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early days? The bike was first released in 2011 with few if any reports of battery problems.

And, unlike the GS (once again in my humble opinion a higher capacity bty does seem to start the boxer engine better in some circumstances) I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't need that extra cranking power

Wapps, I meant early days on the replies

Far from early days on assorted 1600 forums, with very few comments (let alone complaints) about the bike's battery. My two bikes have both retained the original battery, the first bike for four years and umpteen miles, all without a problem. I'd buy an OEM battery, quite happily. One of the attractions of the 1600 over the GS, is that there is no obvious need to add anything to it, by way of 'improvement'.

Ah, I see!

Far from early days on assorted 1600 forums, with very few comments (let alone complaints) about the bike's battery. My two bikes have both retained the original battery, the first bike for four years and umpteen miles, all without a problem. I'd buy an OEM battery, quite happily. One of the attractions of the 1600 over the GS, is that there is no obvious need to add anything to it, by way of 'improvement'.

Ah, I see and yes I can subscribe to that philosophy - in comparison the K (and most other bikes) are much less `farkled up` and/or improved or have a need for it either.

Thanks for your observations and respected opinion :thumb2

With six small(ish) cylinders, there's always going to be one ready to fire up. Never had any problems even after sitting for a couple of weeks in the winter. Bit of a cough and it started.
See you're starting to suffer from the problem with the K1600, there's nothing to do with it!
You'll be following one of those endless forum threads about which screen is the best for it.

My screen seems fine and so does my battery and so does my gearbox - and even if it wasn't 'half bad' I'd just get on with it but I guess I'm not one to kick off about stuff and respect the people who demand and accept nothing but perfection, it's their money after all.

I do get the impression that generally the bike is pretty damn good, which is good!

My new (replaced an Odyssey) battery is quite interesting behaviour. The first turn seems slow then it gets its skirts up and away it goes. Switch off, try again and it flings the engine over. I should whack it in the fridge over night and see how it behaves.

Not on a K but just fitted a JMT lithium, silly light weight but started the bike brilliantly.
Previous battery was a BMW AGM dated 01/2011, so it's not done bad really.
830 grams vs 4810grams.

Back
Top Bottom