IAM training/"making progress"

Better brakes make no difference on the road, modern brakes are more than adequate for every situation. Track maybe but road no chance its speed and overtakes every time

Had first observed ride yesterday .. and bloody hell its not easy riding to there rules ... will stick with it but I’ve got to change a lot of stuff... this overtaking milarky by there book is a whole new thing.

Had first observed ride yesterday .. and bloody hell its not easy riding to there rules ... will stick with it but I’ve got to change a lot of stuff... this overtaking milarky by there book is a whole new thing.

Rules are there for ... I'm sure you know that one?

The purpose of such rules / routines (personal opinion here) is to bring the rider up to advanced riding standard. To get him / her to consider things that they probably never considered, before doing the course. Once that standard is achieved, there's room for flexibility and "gray areas" and the application of individual thinking. But you have to create that thinking process in the first place iyswim?

Rules are there for ... I'm sure you know that one?

The purpose of such rules / routines (personal opinion here) is to bring the rider up to advanced riding standard. To get him / her to consider things that they probably never considered, before doing the course. Once that standard is achieved, there's room for flexibility and "gray areas" and the application of individual thinking. But you have to create that thinking process in the first place iyswim?
It enables you to have a systematic approach to dealing with hazards, no matter what they are. The truth is people are already riding about doing most of it, but in a haphazard and unplanned way with no realisation or understanding of what they were doing.

The biggest differences, in my opinion, between advanced and non advanced riding is about having an open mind and thinking. This is true, whether it is road, track or off road tuition your undertaking.

Thinking time is longer than responding time; that's why the armed forces drill, drill and drill again until it becomes an automatic response.

Grey areas within Roadsmart, how novel !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

There is only one rule in advanced riding, that is, there are NO rules. The whole object of the course is the make thinking riders out of you. That might seem to be easy enough, but isn’t as easy as you might think. Thats why there is “the system” to make you think. You can ride the same stretch of road everyday and everyday the conditions are never the same twice. Riders become complacent and stop thinking about what is around them and thats when the “unexpected” happens. Had they lifted their observations and used the system it might not have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It enables you to have a systematic approach to dealing with hazards, no matter what they are. The truth is people are already riding about doing most of it, but in a haphazard and unplanned way with no realisation or understanding of what they were doing.

The biggest differences, in my opinion, between advanced and non advanced riding is about having an open mind and thinking. This is true, whether it is road, track or off road tuition your undertaking.

Thinking time is longer than responding time; that's why the armed forces drill, drill and drill again until it becomes an automatic response.

Grey areas within Roadsmart, how novel !

Yes, the system is fundamental. It creates the framework for thinking about hazards in an organised and disciplined way. There’s also sub routines such as 3 stage overtakes. Applying the system is what distinguishes the pass from the fail. But we’re not automatons and there’s room for some flexibility once that pass level has been achieved. “Thinking rider” and all that. Micky’s tips on his website are the kind of thing I have in mind. Also some of Giles’ comments in this website. All within the bounds of the system and the law of course.

Yes, the system is fundamental. It creates the framework for thinking about hazards in an organised and disciplined way. There’s also sub routines such as 3 stage overtakes. Applying the system is what distinguishes the pass from the fail. But we’re not automatons and there’s room for some flexibility once that pass level has been achieved. “Thinking rider” and all that. Micky’s tips on his website are the kind of thing I have in mind. Also some of Giles’ comments in this website. All within the bounds of the system and the law of course.

I agree, the problem is those who see "a pass" as an in and of itself, where as it is just the beginning of a new chapter.

Any training, of which there are a myriad of forms, is better than no training at all.

The sad truth is that the overall standard of driving/riding in the UK isn't good, and the aim, whilst laudable, to have Zero road deaths is neither realistic nor achievable.

Why does Highways England run their recent adverts in the motorcycle press, most of us know falling of your bike hurts, it should be aimed at the general and motoring press, to raise their awareness.

Bloody hell, there was me thinking motorcycling was supposed to be fun.

Bloody hell, there was me thinking motorcycling was supposed to be fun.

:D

It is! 'Advanced' (and for the record, I really hate that phrase .. it just sounds so pretentious and up your arse, but hey-ho ...) riding shouldn't be about broom up arse, life savers, 5 checks coming onto the roundabout and all that Day Glow Derek crap !!

It should be about (in my book at least), putting together a cracking ride that has character, flair, beautiful touch, cleverly worked out overtakes, always right place, right speed, right gear at the right time ..... and so on.

My message to The Buyer is this .... (!),

The best civvie riders that I've seen, have done the 'club' thing, done their training and passed their test, (maybe do RoSPA as well) but then (here's the important bit !) they've sort of moved on from there and progressed their own way, often with a small group of like minded souls. And it's that next stage of development, that finding your own way outside of club world, that seems (from what I see) to generate the better riders.

Stick with it ... !! :thumb2

:D

It is! 'Advanced' (and for the record, I really hate that phrase .. it just sounds so pretentious and up your arse, but hey-ho ...) riding shouldn't be about broom up arse, life savers, 5 checks coming onto the roundabout and all that Day Glow Derek crap !!

It should be about (in my book at least), putting together a cracking ride that has character, flair, beautiful touch, cleverly worked out overtakes, always right place, right speed, right gear at the right time ..... and so on.

My message to The Buyer is this .... (!),

The best civvie riders that I've seen, have done the 'club' thing, done their training and passed their test, (maybe do RoSPA as well) but then (here's the important bit !) they've sort of moved on from there and progressed their own way, often with a small group of like minded souls. And it's that next stage of development, that finding your own way outside of club world, that seems (from what I see) to generate the better riders.

Stick with it ... !! :thumb2
Agreed, advanced compared to whom.

Casey Stoner has more talent in his little finger than I have in my whole body.

There are various disciplines which will help you progress as a rider, we all learn at different speeds.

My view has always has been, if you're not learning and enjoying yourself too, there's something wrong.

Giles .. thanks for your post

Just a bit of background to what’s led me to IAM ... I’m looking to help/ support my local blood bikes ( I’m waiting for the abuse ) ... and it’s not because I’m a wannabe police man ... far from it ... it’s because I know what good work the majority of them do.

Now they don’t say I need to do the advanced stuff ... but they strongly advise it... so as I’ve now got the time on my hands ( recently retired :D) I thought why not.

Just a bit of background to what’s led me to IAM ... I’m looking to help/ support my local blood bikes ( I’m waiting for the abuse ) ... and it’s not because I’m a wannabe police man ... far from it ... it’s because I know what good work the majority of them do.

Now they don’t say I need to do the advanced stuff ... but they strongly advise it... so as I’ve now got the time on my hands ( recently retired :D) I thought why not.
If, that is how you wish to support them, good for you.

As I understand it, bloodbikes require an "advanced qualification" which requires to be regularly updated, certainly around my neck of the woods. This was the commercial reason why IAM Roadsmart introduced the Fellowship category.

I am more than happy that anyone does some additional rider training.

Selfishly, it means I'm less likely to be hit by them

Good for you! You've got to do something in your retirement, so Yeah .... get stuck into some bike training!!

:beerjug:

Stick with it. Overtaking is one of the most dangerous things you do on a bike.

Hmmm.
I think overtaking is the same as falling: its not a problem unless you make contact with something solid.

It’s the not exceeding the speed limit when overtaking that’s messing my head about ... ie the car I’m overtaking is doing 45 in a 60, I start the overtake not speeding ... the car speeds up to 60 ... I’m then stuck ... so I have to drop back.

It’s the not exceeding the speed limit when overtaking that’s messing my head about ... ie the car I’m overtaking is doing 45 in a 60, I start the overtake not speeding ... the car speeds up to 60 ... I’m then stuck ... so I have to drop back.

how often has that happened ? once ?, take your time you will get past,restraint will pay dividends on your test

Back
Top Bottom