IAM training/"making progress"

I'm involved in IAM Roadsmart bike training and also do the Rospa 3 year retest. One point to note is that Rospa appear to have done nothing whatsoever that's visible to members in terms of updating their standards and having consistent markings, whereas IAM Roadsmart have put huge effort into this over the last 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pity the poor sod who has to observe me when I get back in the saddle, they'll probably die of boredom, or fail me within 10 minutes so they can dump me and go roaring off at tyre and fuel burning speed in their haste to 'make progress'. I too make progress, at my pace, n my understressed, low revving plodder.....pop, pop, pop....:aidan

Id say it would depend on the width of the road whislt it may be single lane that can be anything from 6 feet to 10 feet wide.If nearer the later there should be adequate room to stay in lane yet be able to make good progress in overtaking vehicles.

I used to be a lot more cautious with overtakes - because you never know whether the driver whom you're about to pass in what IAM tells you is an acceptable gap, will suddenly get annoyed at you

So I think that by "making progress", as the IAM people call it, I'm actually compromising safety.

And for what? For getting there two or three minutes earlier?

Discuss......

Thanks.

Progress is the PRODUCT of advanced riding, NOT the objective. It is what occurs when a rider has good motorcycle control skills and marries them to good observation and consistently sound decision making. How MUCH progress depends on how skilled they are at this marriage.

The 'sparkle' referred to is simply a faultless ride in terms of safety, awareness, and application of the principles of roadcraft and which the examiner deems to show some flair.

I have been on plenty of tests where an otherwise silver or gold rider has gone for an overtake near the end of an excellent demonstration because they felt the need to show they could make progress by overtaking. The pressure to do so spoiled the ride and subsequent grade.

Don't try and squeeze one in to impress as any examiner worth their salt knows the difference.

Progress is the PRODUCT of advanced riding, NOT the objective. It is what occurs when a rider has good motorcycle control skills and marries them to good observation and consistently sound decision making. How MUCH progress depends on how skilled they are at this marriage.

The 'sparkle' referred to is simply a faultless ride in terms of safety, awareness, and application of the principles of roadcraft and which the examiner deems to show some flair.

I have been on plenty of tests where an otherwise silver or gold rider has gone for an overtake near the end of an excellent demonstration because they felt the need to show they could make progress by overtaking. The pressure to do so spoiled the ride and subsequent grade.

Don't try and squeeze one in to impress as any examiner worth their salt knows the difference.

I think you just won the thread.

I think I was doing a good ride, looked at my clock and mileage realised I hadn't demonstrated a good overtake, did my checks and set off.. toward what turned out to be a blind dip ( couldn't see it when I was checking Into the distance). I wouldn't normally have done it except for knowing I needed to demo one at some point soon..

Passed but it wasn't elegant and certainly not sparkling !

I think I was doing a good ride, looked at my clock and mileage realised I hadn't demonstrated a good overtake, did my checks and set off.. toward what turned out to be a blind dip ( couldn't see it when I was checking Into the distance). I wouldn't normally have done it except for knowing I needed to demo one at some point soon..

Passed but it wasn't elegant and certainly not sparkling !
I apply a simple rule when weighing up overtakes. I look at it and ask myself am I completely sure I can execute it smoothly, safely and without inconveniencing anyone. If I know - I go. If I have any doubt - I hold back. It is still possible to be surprised !

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I apply a simple rule when weighing up overtakes. I look at it and ask myself am I completely sure I can execute it smoothly, safely and without inconveniencing anyone. If I know - I go. If I have any doubt - I hold back. It is still possible to be surprised !

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Precisely, but I thought I could see the bottom of the dip and set off ..

Always remembering that the candidate's ability to assess a hazard is the major thing we're testing.

We've all been behind candidates that have had repeated blindingly obvious opportunities to overtake and not taken them - in the debrief they are unable to articulate why they didn't go. This just means they need more work before they are ready for test. I've passed plenty of people who didn't overtake anything - but they must have always been looking for the overtakes and been frustrated by view, oncoming traffic or some other reason...

IAM training/"making progress"

Why is riding a bike all about overtaking??

Why should be 'looking' for overtakes all the time ???

Have you not been listening.

1. overtaking is one of the ingredients of being an excellent all round rider.
2. That skill has to be learnt and tested.
3. You dont have to do it when not training or being tested.
4. You cant be a highly trained motorcyclist and not be capable of overtaking
5. end of

My qualification- retired triple class one police

Why is overtaking and 'making progress' paramount to being a safe and highly trained rider??

Why is overtaking and 'making progress' paramount to being a safe and highly trained rider??

If you think that it's appropriate to be a "highly trained rider", who cannot overtake, nor make use some speed when safe and legal, then clearly that is your call.

You can do the IAM, and I'm sure you will learn a lot.

Without some evidence that you can make reasonable progress (when safe and legal), you probably shouldn't do the test.

I don't recall anyone with IAM experience saying that 'making progress' is paramount, but it is a part, and like any qualifications you can't chose to opt out of those parts that don't suit you.

Personally I got back involved in the IAM after attending a ride organised right here on this forum. Only one rider crashed, and I view that statistic as unduly positive given the idiotic and dangerous riding I saw. So personally I'll stick to the IAM.

2. That skill has to be learnt and tested.
3. You dont have to do it when not training or being tested.
5. end of

Why is overtaking and 'making progress' paramount/important/necessary/useful* to being a safe and highly trained rider??
*Delete as appropriate

Answer my earlier question, please

Thank you
Yet again he is reading too much into this. Paramount - no. Necessary requirement - yes

Ok, why is it a necessary requirement?

Just because i'm riding a bike, why do I have to overtake?

Why not sit there at 50 ish mph, on a NSL A road, at a safe distance behind the car in front (within my braking distance) and just enjoy the views, whilst taking note of any hazards ....................that may come along, from the side/front/rear

What is the necessary requirement/reason to overtake the car?

All the advanced riding I have undertaken is fixated with 'making progress' and overtaking everything in front of your bike, albeit safely

Why?

FSS - you don't have to overtake. As I tell every associate I go out with - "ride your own ride". you make the decissions

Do whatever the F* you want. You won't pass an IAM advance test, but this shouldn't be an issue as you don't agree with the standards that IAM, RoSPA and the police use.

FSS - you don't have to overtake. As I tell every associate I go out with - "ride your own ride". you make the decissions

Do whatever the F* you want. You won't pass an IAM advance test, but this shouldn't be an issue as you don't agree with the standards that IAM, RoSPA and the police use.

I do agree, in fact

LETS HAVE ANOTHER GO.

Answer my earlier question, please

SEE 1 ABOVE

HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY DRIVE ANY VEHICLE WITHOUT EVER EVER PASSING ANOTHER

Why not sit there at 50 ish mph, on a NSL A road, at a safe distance behind the car in front (within my braking distance) and just enjoy the views, whilst taking note of any hazards ....................that may come along, from the side/front/rear

What is the necessary requirement/reason to overtake the car?

ABSOLUTELY NONE

All the advanced riding I have undertaken is fixated with 'making progress' and overtaking everything in front of your bike, albeit safely

Why?

Now we can talk about Advanced driving/riding and being fixated on things....thats another debate with which I have some sympathy.

I hope that helps.
:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom