IAM training/"making progress"

All I am (IAM, geddit:D) doing is questioning is the fact to be a 'skilled and highly trained motorcyclist' (in the eyes of many trainers) you have to be deemed to 'make progress' on a motorcycle (when safe) because it is slimmer.quicker and has brakes

So because you can on a motorcycle, should you.....

Filter
Move to the front of a queue of cars, patiently waiting at the lights
Overtake everything else on the road, when safe to do so
Cross to the other side of the road where there is a broken white line, approaching a left hand bend, to get a 'better view'

I only ask why?

LETS HAVE ANOTHER GO.

Now we can talk about Advanced driving/riding and being fixated on things....thats another debate with which I have some sympathy.

I hope that helps.
:beerjug:

Oldrat, have you not been reading, listening or comprehending what I have written

Please don't be so condescending..............I can ride 10 miles to town safely & skillfully on my bike, without overtaking any of the vehicles in front me on way............despite an absence of any oncoming vehicles, on NSL A roads with broken white lines and plenty of straight roads

I might possess all the necessary skills to be a highly competent & safe motorcyclist, without overtaking a thing

Do you not agree?

Why not sit there at 50 ish mph, on a NSL A road, at a safe distance behind the car in front (within my braking distance) and just enjoy the views, whilst taking note of any hazards ....................that may come along, from the side/front/rear

All the advanced riding I have undertaken is fixated with 'making progress' and overtaking everything in front of your bike, albeit safely

Why?
Aren't you the guy that just received a notice of intended prosecution for a speeding offence?

I might possess all the necessary skills to be a highly competent & safe motorcyclist, without overtaking a thing

Why do you ride a bike Johnny, I'm guessing like me it's the journey rather than how quickly you can get to your destination?? Some days I like to plod and others I like to make progress, both of which I can do safely - :thumb

Aren't you the guy that just received a notice of intended prosecution for a speeding offence?

Yes :D and I wasn't overtaking:blast

All worthy of debate, but is it relevant?

With 12-16 camera vans in North Yorkshire it's getting hard to avoid them, sadly

If, you off side; in Scotland you will fail iam test as Police Scotland don't do it, therefore examiner's won't accept it as safe.

You go out when you have the vision, not for the vision.

Yes, I filter otherwise I would have to get up two hour's early to get around the A720 carpark and over frb, and if I used the car I'd end up murdering people.

Why, would you want to sit behind a queue of mobile chicanes who can cause you problems, if you can safely get to head of queue at traffic lights. Does not compute !

Why sit behind everyone, just walk instead or if you want to be really annoying facist, get a bicycle.

If, you off side; in Scotland you will fail iam test as Police Scotland don't do it, therefore examiner's won't accept it as safe.

You go out when you have the vision, not for the vision.

Yes, I filter otherwise I would have to get up two hour's early to get around the A720 carpark and over frb, and if I used the car I'd end up murdering people.

Why, would you want to sit behind a queue of mobile chicanes who can cause you problems, if you can safely get to head of queue at traffic lights. Does not compute !

Why sit behind everyone, just walk instead or if you want to be really annoying facist, get a bicycle.

My police observers view (and that of his colleague in a separate chat) was that filtering right to the front often gives car drivers the hump, so ideally we'd filter to within 3 or 4 cars of the front and remember to give thanks to the car drivers. Help preserve a positive image of bikers in general. He also mentioned roundabouts, where its rarely safe to split lane and pull up at the front.

Also true, bit difficult when my record is 23 miles of filtering.

If, and it is always IF I can safely get to the head of a queue I will, I always thank, otherwise they may not be so helpful to the next bike coming along.

It is about courtesy and respect for each other, cars don't normally fall over or get wet inside. We have acceleration and manoeuvrability, accept there are pro's and cons on both sides.

Also not all lycra clad cyclist are facist's. Allegedly !

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

All I am (IAM, geddit:D) doing is questioning is the fact to be a 'skilled and highly trained motorcyclist' (in the eyes of many trainers) you have to be deemed to 'make progress' on a motorcycle (when safe) because it is slimmer.quicker and has brakes

Filter
Cross to the other side of the road where there is a broken white line, approaching a left hand bend, to get a 'better view'

I only ask why?

You are being tested on your ability to assess hazards and demonstrate that, by skilfully dealing with them, you are able to go from A to B safely and in the shortest time. The time factor is a test requirement, because if you didn't introduce this element, you could get someone whose skills are poor saying "I didn't feel like overtaking" when in fact they are not of a standard to be able to judge the overtake. It's that simple. You need to demonstrate your judgment and skill to prove you have judgment and skill.

When on Police training, you don't have the comfort of a speed limit (outside BUAs) to cling to. If it's safe to be doing 100mph, then you should be doing it - or you will be marked down.

These are the terms that IAM train and test to (as do RoSPA) - all candidates know it and either accept it or choose not to participate.

You can make a hundred excuses for not taking advanced training - but if you are only taking it to get a tick on the board and then go back to riding exactly as you were before, save your money - you clearly aren't interested in improving...

I really don't know where you are going with this JB, I am a bit mystified. What is the point of being on a motorbike if you do not use the advantages that you have of speed, acceleration and maneuverability? You may as well be in a car if you are happy to sit behind queues of traffic and trundle along. Like most on here I go for the overtakes so that I have clear road ahead of me to aid my vision and planning, it is also safer to have the muppets behind you than in front of you.

Filter

I only ask why?

The test is a comprehensive examination of a riders ability and their decision making process. If it is obvious to the examiner an overtake is 'on' and the rider declines it, the examiner has to question whether you have the ability to correctly assess and execute this aspect of a complete ride. How can they realistically advocate that in their qualified opinion you meet the requirements of a silver or gold pass?

I'm not anti overtaking. I'm anti going for overtakes that haven't been thought through and executed appropriately. ��

..... it is also safer to have the muppets behind you than in front of you.

I beg to differ there ��. You can see them better and control your distance from them better if you have them in front of you. ��

I really don't know where you are going with this JB, I am a bit mystified. What is the point of being on a motorbike if you do not use the advantages that you have of speed, acceleration and maneuverability? You may as well be in a car if you are happy to sit behind queues of traffic and trundle along. Like most on here I go for the overtakes so that I have clear road ahead of me to aid my vision and planning, it is also safer to have the muppets behind you than in front of you.

I am playing devil's advocate and questioning the theory/practical application of 'making progress' whilst riding a (my) motorcycle

I have taken some advanced riding training in the past (MAC), Police RideSafe, had a few observed 'taster' IAM rides etc

One of the respondents to this thread has ridden behind me for a day in the Borders and if I wanted (when I want) to improve my skills, further.... I would book some time to be assessed/trained by him

Filter

I only ask why?

One doesn't do all that stuff at all.
I ride a motorcycle all year round because I love doing it, it's fun, it can also be a very effective form of transport. I have read the Police Blue book thing and did a BikeSafe course years ago. Almost all of the 'advanced riders' that I have spoken to over the years be they Rospa or IAM have had far more 'offs' than I have - so yes, I listen to what they have to say, take some of it on board BUT I shall continue doing it my way and won't bother with their exams and blathering on about 'making progress' and other such nonsense :D

Oldrat, have you not been reading, listening or comprehending what I have written

Please don't be so condescending..............I can ride 10 miles to town safely & skillfully on my bike, without overtaking any of the vehicles in front me on way............despite an absence of any oncoming vehicles, on NSL A roads with broken white lines and plenty of straight roads

Do you not agree?

Apologies if it came over condescending, not my intention. I'm just a tad bemused, (I learnt nowt from Myers Briggs)!.
The interweb is a clunky ol form of conversation. :beerjug:

An overtake is just passing another vehicle, be that a milk float or a porsche, on slow roads or fast, at high speed or slower ones.
In driving life you cannot avoid overtaking and sonetimes you don't have that choice.

The point that I think that you are really trying to make, but didn't emerge until a later post, is about IAM bods being fixated with 'making progress' at every safe opportunity. Now thats something police rider training drums into you, probably because making progress is in the JD, but not necessary for civilian/ off duty riding

If on a test you choose not to 'make progress' at all, then how are you to be assessed on that particular ability? Personally I would not expect a test candidate to fail for not making progress at every opportunity as long as the skill was adequately demonstrated elesewhere in the ride.

Best wishes
OR

Just passed my iam advanced test , best thing I've done tbh
See more , deal with things better , progress sooner, be safer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point that I think that you are really trying to make, but didn't emerge until a later post, is about IAM bods being fixated with 'making progress' at every safe opportunity.

Now thats something police rider training drums into you, probably because making progress is in the JD, but not necessary for civilian/ off duty riding

Best wishes
OR

You're right

In ROSPA/IAM this isn't totally necessary yet they think it is:blast

Back
Top Bottom