IAM training/"making progress"

That's not down to me to decide, if I'm ready I move on if not I'll have to wait awhile, it's another year or so training, I'm happy to wait if told I'm not quiet ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son; aged 22 got a F1rst for his car iam and was advised to consider training as an observer.

I have seen great riders/drivers but they can't instruct or help others to save themselves, and vis versa.

There is good and bad in all organisations, I tell evrry associate I have ever had, we may not gel or get along, just say and I will arrange a different observer for you. It is called being human !

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

So what?

How many have you had in your driving career?

Yup i will admit to the odd mistake but it was always with the bloody lorry ! Thats why i don't bother driving them anymore......easy target for the revenue collectors. Never been done for anything on bike or car.

The point that I think that you are really trying to make, but didn't emerge until a later post, is about IAM bods being fixated with 'making progress' at every safe opportunity. Now thats something police rider training drums into you, probably because making progress is in the JD, but not necessary for civilian/ off duty riding

Best wishes
OR

That's the point I was, badly, trying to make.

Are you ready, so soon after passing a test?

Are you competent enough to teach anyone?

There is an induction / training programme. Observers are not instructors or "teachers". That is drummed in right from the start. Saying rthat, some will be very effective right off the bat. Others will gain skills and confidence as they gain experience. If they ( in the opinion of their Observer and other group members they encounter) do not have the potential to be effective in observing and communicating with Associates, they will not be invited to become an Observer.

Yup i will admit to the odd mistake but it was always with the bloody lorry ! Thats why i don't bother driving them anymore......easy target for the revenue collectors. Never been done for anything on bike or car.

There you go, nobody is error free and it was just 3mph over for me - on a moorland road with no other traffic or inhabited area & caught by a Van

Had it been a copper with VASCAR, I doubt he would have stopped me and if he had, then I'm sure he would have given me a bollocking, with me eating humble pie and both of us would have ok about it

Point taken now and I will be paying attention in future

There you go, nobody is error free and it was just 3mph over for me - on a moorland road with no other traffic or inhabited area & caught by a Van

Had it been a copper with VASCAR, I doubt he would have stopped me and if he had, then I'm sure he would have given me a bollocking, with me eating humble pie and both of us would have ok about it

The cops never bothered the truckers on the A9 it was always the fuckin scamera van revenue collectors. At least you will get on a course, that option doesn't exist up here.

Blimey! ACPO guidelines were 10% +2 so 36 in a 30 and extrapolate for higher limits. Has this changed ?

Word has it its now 1mph over and your done. But i think it does not apply in Scotland AFAIK but i could be wrong

The Regional Fiscal decides upon speed settings and not the Police. That's why we are civilised compared to others !

Hopefully the rest of the A roads go to 50mph like the A9 soon.

JB ....

Whilst I still enjoy bike riding (of course!), I don't really get that much of a buzz from 'going fast' any more.

For me, the buzz, the arm pump in the air, the enjoyment and satisfaction I get in my riding comes from being smart and working things out. To me, a really good ride is one that's peppered with little .... ummm .... challenges? Is that the right word? tests? Little conundrums to work out and solve?

When you've got that beautiful flow going, and it's man and machine working beautifully together, you come up behind something thats just a tad slower than you, and you seamlessly, effortlessly, but cleverly ... work out how to pass him like a swan on the water, that's a good feeling, and it's a good skill.

In my Rapid days, we often spend a lot of time working on that following, overtaking position, the transition between the two, the idea of lining up the planets and 'arriving' behind the vehicle in front in the right place, at the right speed, at the right time.. just as that bend opens up. When you get it right .... ahhhhhhh .... effortless .... passing vehicles by applying brain power and playing a smart game of chess with the traffic.

I know where you're coming from. I know exactly, your point. Boy, have I followed some plonkers in my time that just hoon from the start, have no touch, no beautiful acceleration sense, ham fisted overtakes and everything is speed speed speed .....

It doesn't have to be like that, it shouldn't be like that, but a good rider, that swan on the water ride, that's smooth, pacey, easy, wonderful flow .... He (she ... Fran ??!) will be able to demonstrate that he can pass a vehicle in front with no dramas and carry on with his journey.

:thumb2

JB ....

Whilst I still enjoy bike riding (of course!), I don't really get that much of a buzz from 'going fast' any more.

For me, the buzz, the arm pump in the air, the enjoyment and satisfaction I get in my riding comes from being smart and working things out. To me, a really good ride is one that's peppered with little .... ummm .... challenges? Is that the right word? tests? Little conundrums to work out and solve?

When you've got that beautiful flow going, and it's man and machine working beautifully together, you come up behind something thats just a tad slower than you, and you seamlessly, effortlessly, but cleverly ... work out how to pass him like a swan on the water, that's a good feeling, and it's a good skill.

In my Rapid days, we often spend a lot of time working on that following, overtaking position, the transition between the two, the idea of lining up the planets and 'arriving' behind the vehicle in front in the right place, at the right speed, at the right time.. just as that bend opens up. When you get it right .... ahhhhhhh .... effortless .... passing vehicles by applying brain power and playing a smart game of chess with the traffic.

I know where you're coming from. I know exactly, your point. Boy, have I followed some plonkers in my time that just hoon from the start, have no touch, no beautiful acceleration sense, ham fisted overtakes and everything is speed speed speed .....

It doesn't have to be like that, it shouldn't be like that, but a good rider, that swan on the water ride, that's smooth, pacey, easy, wonderful flow .... He (she ... Fran ??!) will be able to demonstrate that he can pass a vehicle in front with no dramas and carry on with his journey.

:thumb2

Cheers Giles, well reasoned

60 + 6 + 2 = 68mph on a NSL B road

I was caught at 71mph:blast
Johnny, when you said in post 108 you were 3 MPH over on a moorland road, did you mean 3 MPH over the trigger point for a NIP or the speed limit which was how I understood it? I am confused as you now say you were caught at 71 MPH.

Johnny, when you said in post 108 you were 3 MPH over on a moorland road, did you mean 3 MPH over the trigger point for a NIP or the speed limit which was how I understood it? I am confused as you now say you were caught at 71 MPH.

3mph over the trigger point for a NIP

But I doubt I was even doing that as we'd just pulled out of a side road 1/2 mile before we saw the front of the van on the B road & to get to 80 on the speedo (71 mph true) on a 1150 GSA from zero in 1/2 mile takes a bit of doing - especially when you're not on a charge

We had been bimbling all day and never really gone over 60-70 (on the speedo, not gps) as it was that hot weekend in the 30c's and the views were stunning

How they did me approaching from front when the tripod camera was out the back doors I will never know ?

However unless you go to Court you can't see the evidence one way or the other - which is unfair IMHO

So I'll take the course and suck it up - booked it already

Did the recent changes in fines trigger off a new lower trigger ? I seem to remember reading something about that.

Back
Top Bottom