Wheel cleaning.

MATKAT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok all you experts...:D
What is the best recommendation for cleaning the hubs and rims on my R100r.
Spokes not bad but need to really have a go at making the wheels shiny.
Oh, I'm also lazy.
Seriously advice needed :thumb

I have just been "reading up" on vapour blasting

seems to be around £50 a wheel including hubs

I have just been "reading up" on vapour blasting

seems to be around £50 a wheel including hubs
Traditional vapour blasting,is an abrasive slurry under pressure,
Normally glass bead,but other media can be used.
It will dull the finish on stainless spokes and leave cast alloys looking like this.
Ok on hubs,but will ruin a polished rim

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 195
That said,you can use an aquablast cabinet with a solution of water saturated with soda,aparantly this will not damage the surface finish,but would mean that the machine would need to be cleaned of any abrasive prior to use,
Unlikely to find a commercial operator to do this unless you have a sizeable batch

My local cleaner can do extreme high water jetting which left my hubs with a nice patina - they just looked like clean and well maintained original hubs and that was the look I wanted. No damage to the spokes.

Rims will depend on what they are like now, deep pitting will require wetordry abrasive paper , start with 900 , 1000, 1200, 1500 then 2000 grade.
If in reasonable condition a SS scouring pad will clean then up before the fine grade paper

Then a polish of your choice, I find Lustre Lace strips work well on the spokes, nipples and the centre or the rims, Solvol Autosol on Nevrdull wadding gives the rest a good shine if you spend more time polishing it off than you do putting it on, then for a show job Solvol Shine, which reminds me of Jewelers rouge and gives an almost chrome like shine.

All best done with the wheels off and on top of an open wheelie bin.

If you fancy a contrast the vertical face of the rim can be given a linished finish with an ink eraser , the big soft blue ones work best, if they are still around.

Back
Top Bottom