Starter troubles sorry....

Norbsa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,I feel I should start with an apology for yet another forum starter problem.
My 1150 gs occasionally has slow cranking speed.Now it doesn't crank at all,solenoid does the usual clicking.The battery is good (12.6 volts).I have changed the starter motor.I connected a car battery to bike battery both direct to battery and then once with jump lead earth to engine. Motor still doesn't spin.I don't know to try next?
Would a faulty starter relay cause this? any suggestions please.thankyou.

Remove the starter and test it with jump leads on the bench.

Yes there's a very good 'how to' created by mikep... I'm on my phone so can't find it ATM, try doing a search 1150 starter motor.
Should be relatively easy to find.

What's probably happened is a backing plate used to keep grease away from the brushes has become dislodged inside the starter.
If youve caught it early enough it may not be too damaged.... easy enough to repair anyway.

This is quite a common issue, the other is loose magnets

Thanks but what are the chances both my starter motors have the same problem...

Was the 'new' starter actually new or secondhand? If the latter then yes, it's possible both have the loose plate problem. As said, it's a common problem.

I'll preface my input with the admission that electrics are not my area of special expertise and prepare to get shot down, but this sounds like a dodgy switch/relay/broken wire/bad earth. If we examine what you already know:

Your original starter doesn't turn on the bike and nor does the replacement.
You've put a separate battery across the terminals and battery/earth and still no joy.
You know the batteries are good and assuming the new starter is actually new, we can assume that's also good.
So you have good components but they don't work on the bike.
This suggests to me that the problem is somewhere else on the bike and the starter circuit would be the obvious place to start. Assuming the ignition is actually switching on when you turn the key, pressing the starter button should feed power from a good battery through the switches/wires/relays into a good starter motor and everything is rosy. You don't have roses, so if it was me, I'd be looking at the electrics as the culprit here.
Smug's suggestion to test the starter on the bench is the obvious first move as it takes about 10 seconds and will allow you to be sure the starter is in fact a good part. You can then put that on the bike and you've removed one potential cause.

Mr Steptoe to the red phone please!

Hi,I feel I should start with an apology for yet another forum starter problem.
My 1150 gs occasionally has slow cranking speed.Now it doesn't crank at all,solenoid does the usual clicking.The battery is good (12.6 volts).I have changed the starter motor.I connected a car battery to bike battery both direct to battery and then once with jump lead earth to engine. Motor still doesn't spin.I don't know to try next?
Would a faulty starter relay cause this? any suggestions please.thankyou.

You didn't say after you changed the starter motor whether the starter solenoid is still clicking.

Check that the small black lead is firmly connected to the starter motor solenoid.

I'm assuming you have a neutral light.

Pull the clutch lever in, you should here a faint click (clutch micro switch) and press the start button.

If the starter motor still does not rotate, then it's either your start button, or starter relay, or wiring fault.

Many thanks..I bench tested original starter confirmed it's knackered,solenoid fires no spin.Replacement starter fine.Fitted back on bike powered independently from a car battery engine turned over. I did the same with battery connected to bike battery terminals motor turned over!What a plonker it's the battery that's the problem despite being only a year old motoblatt,then why didn't it work when I tried jumping it?I can only assume some varying break down in the battery.Looks like I'm ordering a new battery ��

Just think of this way -
You have a brand new starter.
You have just ordered a brand new battery.
You'll be all set for years to come.

Unusual to have a battery holding good charge but breaking down under load......not the first Motobatt to cause stress apparently!

Were you checking the battery with open circuit voltage? To check the battery you need to measure it under load.

Back
Top Bottom