Noisy motor

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Another chapter ensues in this sad basket case of a bike. Went out for a good thrash of 150 miles yesterday and while on the throttle I became aware of the motor seeming noisier than usual, no smoke, high MPG and still goes like a rat down a sewer pipe, noise lessens when idling with the clutch pulled in, AND the clutch has started to adjust itself on the move, had to back off the adjuster at the lever as it started to feel "tight" 70k plus miles, abused by previous owner and his service provider. Now, I have a tendency to get a tad paranoid where my bikes are concerned, so would anyone local with a F650 GS Dakar be prepared to have a listen or a run out for me, either to put my mind at ease or confirm my worst suspicions, free tea or coffee to the benevolent rider, PM me for details. Failing that, who is the "Guru" around these bikes?

When mine went noisy but kept the same power it turned out to be the cam chain tensioner. I have 3 different versions on my bench!
The first one was bad on start up one morning and the tensioner piston was hammered closed.
The second bike was quiet when I left home but after 15 miles the noise got worse, sounded like a big end was going! I took the tensioner out, it seemed ok so I put it back in, went for a ride and the noise came back. I put a new one in and cured it, 20,000+ since.
The 3rd bike was new to me so I just changed as a precaution.
Motorworks ENA86731 @£58.01, so not a cheap gamble?
If your bike is non abs it's quite easy to do, with abs it's fiddly. No need to drop the oil to do it.

Having studied the massive stack of receipts for "Work done" by the previous owners choice of dealer, No evidence of cam chain replacement can be found and after 70K + miles that would serve as a LARGE clue maybe. An example of the incompetance of said dealer, they cut off the alarm system to "cure" a starting and idling fault, which turned out to be a gunked up idle actuator valve caused by overfilling the engine with oil, some people should never be allowed to play with spanners IMHO!

I've got a spare, new cam chain tensioner if you wanted to try that before buying one?

Why dont I just come over to your place, and you can give me the benefit of your vast expertise? Live about 8 miles away, contact number 07774486554 Reg

Yup that's fine. I'm off on hols in the morning, back on the 4th. Got your number and noted in my diary to call you on the 4th.

Noisy?????

Many thanks to Dansin for his tea and opinion of my steed, seems like my paranoia was working overtime, his verdict, They sound like that mate, and after a run round the houses he confirmed it needed a fettle, which he promptly did with the suspension and now I have the a bike I can safely trust! Always pays to have another opinion on everthing!

Back
Top Bottom