Rear Wheel R80ST or R80G/S

BillN

Reaction score
I am sorting out all my stuff and have just found a Rear wheel in the "loft" - I seem to remember that it was from a BMW R80ST - I had a couple in the past - but I also had a couple of G/S's

Motorworks reckon that the Rear Wheel on the ST is the same as the G/S - both 18" but I always thought that they were slightly different - or was that just the tyre size fitted?

Anyway can anyone tell me the part number for either the ST or G/S rear wheel

I have fitted both bikes with same and inter swapped um about too Bill. I think they are the same just like you. If it aint oval in the brake lining area it will be worth quite a bit of dosh as they are as rare as hens teeth. I have a brand new set of stainless steel spokes and nipples for a rear wheel in my loft doing nowt - if there's a buyer about !!

I have fitted both bikes with same and inter swapped um about too Bill. I think they are the same just like you. If it aint oval in the brake lining area it will be worth quite a bit of dosh as they are as rare as hens teeth. I have a brand new set of stainless steel spokes and nipples for a rear wheel in my loft doing nowt - if there's a buyer about !!

Hi Mick - I remember you - how are you - do you still have the ST?

I have still got 2 ST tanks - one in Camo with a dint and another repainted Marrakesh Red

This was my first ST - wonder if it is still around

ST.jpg

I am sorting out all my stuff and have just found a Rear wheel in the "loft" - I seem to remember that it was from a BMW R80ST - I had a couple in the past - but I also had a couple of G/S's

Motorworks reckon that the Rear Wheel on the ST is the same as the G/S - both 18" but I always thought that they were slightly different - or was that just the tyre size fitted

Bill, the ST has a wider rim, 85mm over the G/S's 75mm. I had cause to measure both of mine in response to,an earlier post.
Paul.

Bill, the ST has a wider rim, 85mm over the G/S's 75mm. I had cause to measure both of mine in response to,an earlier post.
Paul.

Thanks Paul ... I thought that they were difference - must find the Akron ref numbers

Just found the original BM Brochure for 1982

maybe this is important for purists

The R80 G/S came with tubed tyres on 18" rear wheels - 4.00-18 64R Tyres
The R80ST came with tubless tyres on 18" rear wheels with 120/90 H18 or 120/90-18.65H tyres

The brochure says " The tyres of the new R80ST are another typical feature. The low section tyres fitted as standard, (front 100/90 H90 and rear 120/90 H18) have a number of important advantages ........."

Don't ever remember the ST with tubeless.

The rim is not a tubeless type?

See my thread New Boots. I have fitted Conti Go tubeless tyre, but with tubes inside

Don't ever remember the ST with tubeless.

The rim is not a tubeless type?

See my thread New Boots. I have fitted Conti Go tubeless tyre, but with tubes inside

checking back on one of mine I had tubeless and the Brochure is clear as far as the original spec is concerned

I'll try to check if the Bike came with a tubeless repair kit

tubless.jpg

Isnt the number of studs the important thing? 3 or 4 makes a huge difference.
BMW also listed two G/S rim sizes, the early lightweight bike with no starter and a small battery also had narrow wheels and tires, but you will have trouble finding one of them.
And no manufacturer of motorcycle tires that BMW ever used permits fixing a puncture with a plug, so a BMW supplied kit will be equally scarce.

I recollect they were indeed tubeless tyres fitted - but fitted with a tube as the rim is NOT a tubeless rim. Same as what they do nowadays on some of their models........

Isnt the number of studs the important thing? 3 or 4 makes a huge difference.
BMW also listed two G/S rim sizes, the early lightweight bike with no starter and a small battery also had narrow wheels and tires, but you will have trouble finding one of them.
And no manufacturer of motorcycle tires that BMW ever used permits fixing a puncture with a plug, so a BMW supplied kit will be equally scarce.

"And no manufacturer of motorcycle tires that BMW ever used permits fixing a puncture with a plug" - maybe in recent years but back in 1982 you could plug a tyre and it was perfectly legal

From Bikes that I have had

Tubeless kit supplied with BMW Bikes

kit.jpg

3 Stud fitted to an ST with tubeless tyre
3_Stud.jpg

Tubed or Tubeless R80ST - furthermore - It really depended on the tyre

I seem to remember some confusion - so I pulled out some of my old Brochures

1982 (Deep Tread Tubed tyres)

1982.jpg

1984 (As R80 - low profile tubeless tyres)

(in this Brochure BMW differentiate using the words "Tubeless" and "Tyres with tubes") - so one would assume that Tubeless do not have tubes fitted

1984.jpg

I may still have an Owners Manual for a R80ST -if I can find it I'll see what that has to say

Both the G/s and ST had the same rear wheels, albeit there were two "different" types

My G/S ST owners manual states "G/S Special pattern with inner tube" and for ST states "low section with inner tube"

BMW never offerd a non tubed tyre version (irrespective of whether the tyre was a tubed or tubeless type) on the wire spoked wheel due to the difficulties of sealing the area around the spokes/rim.

The R80 referred to in the above post (in the notoriously inaccurate marketing brochures) may be a cast wheel version which most certainly did, at times, have a true tubeless fitment.

My G/S ST owners manual states "G/S Special pattern with inner tube" and for ST states "low section with inner tube"

BMW never offerd a non tubed tyre version (irrespective of whether the tyre was a tubed or tubeless type) on the wire spoked wheel due to the difficulties of sealing the area around the spokes/rim.

The R80 referred to in the above post (in the notoriously inaccurate marketing brochures) may be a cast wheel version which most certainly did, at times, have a true tubeless fitment.

I still have my 1984 R80 referred to in my post and it has never seen a tube - all R80's (Monos) had cast alloy wheels

R80_2.jpg

Repair kit

Note on that emergency kit is - max speed 60 km for max distance 400 km which makes it a temporary plug for a hole less than 3mm, not a repair. And only if the bead is still on the rim, which it usually inst.
Holes less than 3 mm can be repaired with a proper vulcanised mushroom plug, over 3mm a tubeless is scrap or you use a tube, if you believe the folks that make the tires.

Note on that emergency kit is - max speed 60 km for max distance 400 km which makes it a temporary plug for a hole less than 3mm, not a repair. And only if the bead is still on the rim, which it usually inst.
Holes less than 3 mm can be repaired with a proper vulcanised mushroom plug, over 3mm a tubeless is scrap or you use a tube, if you believe the folks that make the tires.

Thanks ...... never had the need to use it on the Bike ... once used it on my sit on Garden Mower ..... and I'll note that I need to keep my speed down to under 60km

just dug it out

cleaned the area - I'd covered the rim in waxoll

12427941 BMW AKRONT 18"-2.50 - B 40-TC-1182-E-DOT-SPAIN

looks like a 3 stud Rear R80ST wheel - can anyone confirm that the number is the same as the one of their G/S?

Rim.jpg

The first part is the same on my G/S but the second set of numbers (1182 on yours ) is different to mine, which is 683. So I dont know how that helps.

However, as previously mentioned, both G/S and ST wheels are totally interchangable, both are the same BMW part number, and both are the same width etc (at least as far as the latest BMW parts fiche shows) so either way call it whichever you want. :nenau

I still have my 1984 R80 referred to in my post and it has never seen a tube - all R80's (Monos) had cast alloy wheels

And all pre-mono cast wheels used inner tubes.

Motorworks reckon that the Rear Wheel on the ST is the same as the G/S - both 18" but I always thought that they were slightly different - or was that just the tyre size fitted?

My drum's getting close to tolerance, and I still fancy a pair of 'road' (OK, track :D) tyres on the ST size rims and Contis on the others so...

If you want to sell it?

Back
Top Bottom