Can't download Garmin Communicator...so can I do this instead??????

Bounce

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right....need some help

I have a route in MotoGoLoco that I want to put onto the 660, but can't do this via Garmin Communicator as the software won't load.

Therefore, can I do this:

> Get the route copied onto a new SD card
> Remove my existing SD card (with all my maps on) and replace it with the new SD card
> Copy the route from the new SD card to my device
> Remove the new SD card and then put my original SD card back in
> Then, select the copied route & it works with my maps on my original SD card

No need for any of this. Download the route as a gpx file. Drag the file into the gpx folder on your 660 (it's probably inside the garmin folder). On the device, import the route as you would normally.

If you wish you can also have a gpx folder on yor SD card but as gpx files are normally pretty small, there is probably room on the device itself.

Right....need some help

I have a route in MotoGoLoco that I want to put onto the 660, but can't do this via Garmin Communicator as the software won't load.

Therefore, can I do this:

> Get the route copied onto a new SD card
> Remove my existing SD card (with all my maps on) and replace it with the new SD card
> Copy the route from the new SD card to my device
> Remove the new SD card and then put my original SD card back in
> Then, select the copied route & it works with my maps on my original SD card

Can't Nutty offer any advice :D

No need for any of this. Download the route as a gpx file. Drag the file into the gpx folder on your 660 (it's probably inside the garmin folder). On the device, import the route as you would normally.

If you wish you can also have a gpx folder on yor SD card but as gpx files are normally pretty small, there is probably room on the device itself.

Was going to say same thing,Keith !!

OK chaps, I'll give this a go...:thumb2

or use ITN converter. Free download, uses same maps as moto go local..google. Convert to gpx. Very easy software to use (not that you need easy but you get my drift)

Managed to get the GPX file imported into the 660.....only difference is that the route planned was circa 2200 miles, and the one showing on the unit is 1684 miles....:confused:

As a back up, I've input a load of waypoints that feature on the route so all is not lost :D

Why not post the original 2200 miles route file here, hosting it on something like Dropbox. Or shove up at least a link to it. I'm sure someone will then be able to work out where the missing 600 miles have gone.

Why not post the original 2200 miles route file here, hosting it on something like Dropbox. Or shove up at least a link to it. I'm sure someone will then be able to work out where the missing 600 miles have gone.

I haven't lost them, before you say anything. :D

Managed to get the GPX file imported into the 660.....only difference is that the route planned was circa 2200 miles, and the one showing on the unit is 1684 miles....:confused:

Look on the bright side you'll use less petrol :D

use basecamp,motogoloco seems the easy option but it sometimes creates more probs imo,basecamp just works exactly as you plotted it when transferred to the sat nav.
use the basecamp videos posted in the basecamp section.

Your mileage error has occured because you have not used enough points (shaping/via or way) on the route to hold it on the roads you wish to travel, this happens all the time. i can see several places where the route deviates. you could correct this if you so wish by using basecamp or by inserting lots more points along the route in motogoloco.

leedude03 has it nailed. Once again it's the commonly seen problem whereby a route created outside of Garmin's software (in this case MotoGoLoco) does not translate exactly into Garmin's world. This time the device has filled in the missing gaps between known points, using the device's preference settings, which are probably set to fastest time or most direct. In affect, the device - when making the fastest time or most direct calculation - has cut the corners. In doing so, it's cut many miles off the original MotoGoLoco route.

Keith, do as Lee suggests. Display both routes simultaneously in Mapsource or BaseCamp, then drag the Garmin magenta line so that it follows the MotoGoLoco route exactly. All should then be well.

As an alternative (possibly lazy) solution you could also try switching your device's preference settings to 'Twisty roads' or whatever it's called. This might force the Garmin version to take a less direct route between the known points, thereby giving you back some or all of your missing miles.

MotoGoLoco, whose owner frequents this site, really should put an explanation as to the cause of (and solution to) the problem on their website. There again, it would amount to a confession that MotoGoLoco is not quite the perfect software they - and others - might claim.

Wapping I tried to explain this fact to Simon W who creates the wonderfull ride routes that are shared via the ride web site and motogoloco, in post 14 of this thread http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/456848-Ride-Route-Calculations, I may have not made it clear as to what happens to a route (gpx file) when its made with basecamp, and then hosted through motogoloco's site and re downloaded as a gpx file to use with a garmin nav or basecamp, You have explained it better.

Back
Top Bottom