Advice with TPMS Senor wake up/ learning.

If pressure drop wakes up the sensor it might be worth having the tyres taken off with a machine bead breaker. The pressure drop is very sudden and might be enough to wake up the sensor. Saying that, I don't know how long the device needs to be "picked up" by the bike before it goes back to sleep.

Hexcode recommend a pressure drop over 10 seconds, I have tried 42 psi to 0 over 10 seconds numerous times without success.
I have only had success by having the codes read by a code reader and entering them with the GS911.

Better get these puppys working!!

As of next year there an MOT test item!

Luckily you only have 2 of them ;)

I have two sets with duff batteries and tyres getting close to worn out. I'll have to get my arse into gear and swap the batteries in the other set.

I must have been lucky, because I replaced the batteries in both of mine and they just worked as soon as I rode the bike, despite being flat for about a year.

My wire wheels have my programmed in sensors complete with flat batteries. The alloys on the bike were never programmed to the bike. I'll have to get the wire wheel tyres removed and sort out the sensors.

Better get these puppys working!!

As of next year there an MOT test item!

Luckily you only have 2 of them ;)

An mot item? Have you a link to that info.?
I would like to read up on it. Cheers :thumb2

Edit;

Found it. Since 1st. January, (for vehicles registered after 2012) 2015 a non working TPS system has been an automatic MOT failure.

News to me i must admit. It seems that the EU in their wisdom dictated that all vehicles after 2012 will have TPM on them.

More reasons why you see (what appear to be) perfectly good cars in the scrappers as more and more people fall foul of these expensive
to repair systems going faulty on an older car.
Scrap yards are starting to look like car showrooms i am reliably informed :)

Scrap yards are starting to look like car showrooms i am reliably informed :)

The replacement back axle for my 2007 Fiat Panda came from a 2015 Fiat 500. Straight swap fit for an otherwise car scrapping corrosion issue. The donor 500 was crashed but did not look "that" bad.

New sensors from Motorworks need waking

Just had new sensors fitted they came from Motorworks but they are not supplied with codes, they need to be woken to read codes !!

I'm in Kent / London borders, anybody know of anywhere (other than BMW £25 per wheel), where I can get this done ?

Cheers,

Simon.

Thought that the stickers on the new tpms valve had the codes on the the sticker on the part

I replaced the batteries in my wire wheel (original) sensors. The potting compound is quite tough but a small sharp screwdriver and Irwin knife cut it out ok. The batteries have welded on tags, the bottom tag disappears into the bowels of the thing so fitting a new tagged battery is not ideal. Lever the battery off the contact tabs.

I got a pair of ordinary long life Duracells then cleaned metal with emery, applied flux and tinned a solder patch to each side. I used ordinary electrical self fluxed solder but the additional flux meant less heat. For the underside I soldered a short wire to the battery. That wire is then soldered to the captive tag in the sensor. Top tag is easy to solder.

I used a body panel acrylic sealant to refill the potting compound done in layers so it would cure properly. Avoid silicones unless certified electronic grade as the acetic acid (released as it cures) will rot the circuitry.

The sensors had been dead for at least a year but worked immediately when put back on the bike. HOWEVER while the rubber valve/rim seal looked ok, it leaked TWICE. The BMW repair kit is silly money at £25 for a tiny rubber ring, valve core and retaining nut - but it seems to have worked. The nut also has an O ring so is an improvement over my older model.

WeeDeek, I'd like to take you up on your offer. Had a "new" secondhand sensor fitted but didn't have the code. Don't even know if it works. My local dealer looked at me blankly when I mentioned a wake up tool. Said I had to but a new sensor and have them fit it at around 200 quid. I'm just south of Edinburgh and would probably just chuck the wheel in the back of the car with this weathereview!

Letting air out etc doesn't work for me.

Letting air out etc doesn't work for me.

Have you tried removing the valve core and using a fairly decent compressor? Pressure will drop fast when you unplug the hose.

Failing that, fit an old tyre and slash the side wall.

Tried everything. Core in/core out with slow air release and fast air release. Blown it up to well over what it should be and what it should be. Spent a few hours trying it over a few attempts. Slashing a tyre seems a bit ott with no guarantee it would work. Every one I speak to up here looks at me blankly when I ask if they have a wake up tool, including the local bmw dealer. I think it's the fact the service reception guys don't really understand how the tpms works so just say no.

The tyre slash idea wasn't suggesting you use a shiny new Road Attack. :) See what the car tyre fitters can offer for waking it up.

I have tried the deflate the tyre method on numerous occasions ( 40 psi deflation over 10 seconds as recommended by GS911) it has never worked.
Writing the codes to the ECU always works.
I have a friend who owns an independent Tyre business, he has a code reader, Just hold the sensor near it and it gives the Codes battery condition etc.
I would imagine that a lot tyre businesses have them to clone third party sensors.

Only have kwik fit nearby, they gave me the same blank look as the local bmw dealer.

Back
Top Bottom