Latest addition to my setup.

mikecbrxx

Reaction score
Playing with the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active SM- T365. Impressed so far. Got split screen navigation working and both sides update together. That's what i was hoping for, but not expecting. Think i may build a small hood for it. Visibility is ok but could be better.
1ac94898ba02f1dce377772f88b65f7d.jpg
e6a29a1f28d9d46e50d316ceb8636a0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Interesting. Which Navigation app are you using on the Tab? For reflection, try any standard anti-reflective screen protector. Should be good (but I think you already got one on that).

Interesting. Which Navigation app are you using on the Tab? For reflection, try any standard anti-reflective screen
protector. Should be good (but I think you already got one on that).

Actually, no I don't. I got one then screwed up fitting it up so many times that it became unusable. I'll try another one, and pay more attention, but as I said, it isn't too bad.

The aps that I know work in split screen are; Google maps, OSMAND+, and MyTrails. MAPS.ME does not work in split screen but does work solo.

Looks good did you get the powered mount for the tablet?

Yes, RAM make one (RAM-HOL-SAM7PU). It holds the device quite firmly. There are locking ones available but who in there right mind would leave it in place when leaving the bike? So they are just unnecessary, and expensive.

The mount comes with a standard cigarette lighter plug that steps down the power to 5v 2amp (USB fast charge, samsung standard). I have a screw type waterproof USB connecter on the bike so am having a lead made up that connects that to the mount (2.5 x 5.5 90 degree connector). I've not got that yet so details to be confirmed... soon I hope.

Hmmm, just realised that I haven't followed up on this since last year and quite alot has changed.

I took the unit, as my main GPS, on a roadtrip to Slovakia, Romania and Serbia during July/August. I started to have so really strange problems in that the whole screen would re-draw every few seconds, it would flip between portrait and landscape mode (on screen) even though it was locked in landscape, and it would slowly lose charge despite being plugged into the bike power supply. The power problem was the key to teh solution. It appears that the charging connectors through the mount does not work very well. When I connected the normal micro usb connector to power, all the issues above stopped and the device charged to full power during use. Simple fix but somewhat annoying too.

On the whole, I am really happy with this Active Tab1, though have since upgraded to the Active tab2 that was released in November. Its a more uptodate version with more memory and processing power which shows in both the device speed and what you can have installed on it. I haven't bothered to try the mount charging again as I am happy with a 90 degree bend micro usb to do the charging from an onboard waterproof usb socket.

On a practical note, both devices will take a sim card so a local sim can be added leaving your home country SIM in your phone. The actiive tab 2 is a really practical touring device that removes the need to take a computer to stay in touch and do route planning/loading.

I am going into semi-retirement at the end of May and plan a 6-12 month trip across Russia/Mongolia starting in June. There is a strong possibility, money permitting, that I will then ship Vladivostok to Valpariso in Chile. Could be there for the 2019 Dakar! I'll try and remember to post any issues, if any, that I find with extended use.

You can certainly see / read it.. :thumb

Good for movies on a long motorway tab too !

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

This springs to mind :blast

Kawasaki KH400 in The Gumball Rally :D

Attachments

• e616196378903743cbcc83d38d99547f.jpg.cf.jpg
    e616196378903743cbcc83d38d99547f.jpg.cf.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 146

Back
Top Bottom