Spark plug gaps?

Any idea what could be the cause of plugs going out of gap in such a short space of time?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Were they gapped correctly when new? They should have been but, hey things happen. I would re-gap them if that's all that's wrong
and see how they go. I guess the only way the gap will increase is with spark erosion but what could cause accelerated wear? Excessive
spark pressure? Seems unlikely to me. I suppose if the engine is running weak the plug temperature could rise and perhaps cause excessive burning of the
electrodes which would be observable but, just guessing here.

WOW Tony and I thought I was a tight Yorkshireman getting 20k out of a set!!!!
Even I would recommend replacement now.

I can see a challenge here to others as to how many miles you did before failure (which could be expensive)

I may, just for the hell of it, replace them at next service in about 4K miles :D

Which iridium plugs do you know are recommended for the Twin Cam?
I, so far, haven't been able to source any.

I use Denso IU24A in my 2012 R1200GSA, but you need a thin 16mm spark plug tool.:thumb2

Interesting, i will look into them :thumb2

Last serviced by steptoe so I must assume they were. No reason to think they weren't gapped properly. Anyhow, the bike is at BMW Maidenhead - been there 3 or 4 weeks now! It'll soon get sorted

Were they gapped correctly when new? They should have been but, hey things happen. I would re-gap them if that's all that's wrong
and see how they go. I guess the only way the gap will increase is with spark erosion but what could cause accelerated wear? Excessive
spark pressure? Seems unlikely to me. I suppose if the engine is running weak the plug temperature could rise and perhaps cause excessive burning of the
electrodes which would be observable but, just guessing here.

I may, just for the hell of it, replace them at next service in about 4K miles :D

Interesting, i will look into them :thumb2

Just replaced the plugs in my 57K TC at 22,245mls. I thought they had done more but looking at my records that's what it comes out at.
The plugs looked ok albeit the gaps were on the wide side. Must admit it's running cleaner now, mainly at idle/low revs and on the
pickup which i was very glad of on yesterday's 80 mile bimble around some of the single track mud/gravel/grass
strewn lanes of the Welsh hills :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom