R45

ChasF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm interested in one closeby that needs a full refurb. I know very little about them except that very few engine parts are compatible with the larger capacity engines. Other than that does anyone know which cycle parts are the same or similar to the R80's of the same vintage?

As a lot of parts may be beyond repair I'm thinking that it might make a lightweight 'scrambler' type thingy. I was surprised to see the original bike weighed in at 180kg!

Less power than a packet of junior disprin ! Built to accommodate German insurance criteria at the time; is essentially an R65 with different carbs and pistons.

I had one for a while. Never ever again - woeful, woeful, lack of power - it was honestly the most gutless slow bike I have ever owned. Even with a serious crash diet it would still be pitiiful. IMHO I would suggest that this is the wrong base bike to start from if you are looking for a boxer based scrambler.

I had one for a while. Never ever again - woeful, woeful, lack of power - it was honestly the most gutless slow bike I have ever owned. Even with a serious crash diet it would still be pitiiful. IMHO I would suggest that this is the wrong base bike to start from if you are looking for a boxer based scrambler.

While i agree with the above as regards the lack of power as I had one a few years ago I believe the r65 barrels and pistons are a straight swop. That is said to transform the bike JJH

I remember the listing summary in What bike when new " the most expensive slug in the world " Don't let that put you off but go for the R65:D:thumby:

Theres got to be better ways to spend £1000+ JJH

Aye - start with a better base bike. The 45 is heavy and whilst you can swop the barrels etc you can only really make it a 65 or 860 Seibenrock it and you cant really go any further. Even with these mods it isnt what you would call fast or powerful by any stretch. Plus the 45 and 65 have cast wheels which (IMHO) are not really "scrambler"

But hey what do I know:D

Less power than a packet of junior disprin ! Built to accommodate German insurance criteria at the time; is essentially an R65 with different carbs and pistons.

There were in fact two different R45 models available... and there's a huge difference between the two.

One had 35 BHP and is actually not too bad.

The other had 27 BHP, and is/was a slug and which is what i suspect solidstate is describing and he never even knew he had... :D

The very last of the R65 models are completely interchangeable with the larger engined models (including gearboxes/clutches etc) and had a R80 bottom end and engine case with very shallow small barrels, they had about three cooling fins if i remember correctly.... i actually owned one and they are very rare.
Easy and cheap to fit R80/100 barrels onto that engine...

I'm not really worried about the power or lack of it, although I would like to know how I can determine whether it's a 27 or 35 hp model. What I'm more concerned about is getting the weight down to around 150 kg as I'm planning to build it up 'scrambler' style but with a secondary use as run-around when we're away in the camper. I have a spare 80G/S front end and I'm sure a spoked rear wheel would be possible.

Still, haven't bought it yet, all depends if he goes for my derisory offer!

this might help determine the power of your potential purchase

Attachments

• ChassisR45 B n W.pdf
    132.4 KB · Views: 81
Realistically, you probably wont have the handling to make use of anything more than 35 HP offroad anyway, and the 45 will be low geared so you will be able to use what you have.
If you have access to an engineer larger barells can be modified to fit, and 800 cc ones are cheap and easy to find, so no need to spend the 1000 whatits on the 7rock kit.

Back
Top Bottom