Thread: Solar Power Pack for recharging mobiles etc

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Blog Entries

Solar Power Pack for recharging mobiles etc

I bought one of these for £17 from Amazon. I am sceptical at to the worth of the solar panel on these. It's ability to recharge from this panel appears to exist only in the seller's description.
    Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it possible for these to work as the panel is so small, and trying to charge a 10,000mah battery may be beyond what is achievable.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Use it as an intermediary device, then you just leave it all day without tying up your phone.
    Charge an external battery with it during day that you then use to charge your phone in the evening
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I have one in addition to a standard power pack, it's good for emergency use, can be charged off the mains as well, it did actually manage to recharge slightly during the usual November weather in Cumbria

My new tent actually has a solar panel so you can charge battery packs while you're out and about.
    It then powers tent lights and charges iPhone/iPad
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I just take an 18000 mAh battery pack which will charge my phone and camera multiple times (and start the bike if I need it to). If necessary, I recharge it from mains occasionally (I've yet to find a campsite, bar, restaurant that isn't more than happy for me plug in while I'm there).

Small solar panels just don't have the output to make them worthwhile and if you're using them to charge an intermediate battery, you're just adding yet more inefficiency.

(Damon) F650GS Twin Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I just take an 18000 mAh battery pack which will charge my phone and camera multiple times (and start the bike if I need it to). If necessary, I recharge it from mains occasionally (I've yet to find a campsite, bar, restaurant that isn't more than happy for me plug in while I'm there).

Small solar panels just don't have the output to make them worthwhile and if you're using them to charge an intermediate battery, you're just adding yet more inefficiency.
    This....

Easier to charge something from the bike while you're riding it than faffing with small panels & no sun.....

D

Decent solar panels are not cheap. One that will produce sufficient Wh to be of use is £00s, a £25 one will power up an iPhone, but take all day to do it. Possibly half of tomorrow as well.

A 28000mah battery pack off Amazon is a better investment. Portable solar panels don't work. Period.

Well put it this way if you have constant full summer sunlight a 10 watt solar panel is at least two foot square so allowing for 20% losses that would give approximatly [Watts/Volts = Amps - 20%] 10 watts /12 volts =0.83 Amps/ 100 x 80 or 0.67amps maximum.

Ergo a piddly little solar panel is a complete waste of money sold by Snake Oil salesmen out to benefit their pension fund.
    Caution : May stop suddenly

Any more info on the solar panel tent?
    A GOAL is an end toward which some specific effort is directed!
    Go forth and prosper!

A friend of ours has a small solar powered light which folds down to a solar panel about 6'' square by 1" deep and leaving it outside all day charges it enough to light up a tent or an awning for as long as you want in an evening so I'd say they do what's claimed and I'd imagine a similar sized panel on a tent would be quite successful.

Just seems to me another friggin device to carry aound. More cost, more complication, more leads, more weight, more breakdown potential, more wasted space that could be used to carry something useful etc etc. Charge your devices off of the bike/car, or at the campsite/home/bar/cafe if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by kurienp View Post
    A 28000mah battery pack off Amazon is a better investment. Portable solar panels don't work. Period.
    Recently bought a 26000mah Easyacc 4 usb port (with torch) off e-bay for £33.50; have used these before for all bike trips and it has been superb. I keep it & all required charge leads in a small bag (circa 7"x10") and it tucks neatly away in roll bag/top box bag.
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Yep I purchased a £25 DBPOWER 400A Peak 12000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter from amazom last year its came in handy for jumping the 800GS and the 2.2ltr Deisel car plus useful when camping for charging the mobile.
    Caution : May stop suddenly