Lightweight windproof overjacket advice...

commandoallan

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas/ information on a well performing jacket to be used in summer/ spring that is windproof/ water resistant and can be put over a Rukka Airall?

It would be ideal if under 150 GBP and packs down small. (No armour required).

Cheers.:nenau

Some of the cycling jackets are really good for this (sticking over an airflow jacket) for summer rain.

Why do I say this ?
(i) they have a very long back which works well for motorcyclists (ii) it's a more competitive market so they are great value (iii) they actually breathe, unlike motorcycle waterproofs (iv) pack really small (v) have long arms so you can get a good mate with whatever gloves you are wearing.

Have a peek at "wiggle" or other similar cycle vendors and remember to go up three sizes !

It's interesting that for riding in the USA, Spain / Southern Europe you witness a lot of Brit bikers in U.K. Gear trying to open any vents (if they have them) and stay cool.
Whereas the local lads wear airflo jackets (like the Rukka one you mention, Mesh jackets , and pack a waterproof under the seat.

The Oxford Rain Seal jacket is pretty good. Might be too much for going over Rukka gear, but I wear it over leathers when the weather's wet and it's a great piece of kit. Well below your budget too - I got mine in Ireland for €30 shipped to my door.

As mentioned already, some of the cycling jackets are very lightweight and would suit too. Be careful of branded stuff - it can be crazy expensive while only marginally better than the midrange stuff. Serious brand snobbery with cycling gear (even worse than motorbike kit). As well as Wiggle check out Chain Reaction Cycles - between the two of them, you should find what you want.

It's interesting that for riding in the USA, Spain / Southern Europe you witness a lot of Brit bikers in U.K. Gear trying to open any vents (if they have them) and stay cool.
Whereas the local lads wear airflo jackets (like the Rukka one you mention, Mesh jackets , and pack a waterproof under the seat.

Great thanks. I have a Navigator suit for most of the year but as you have indicated even with the liner removed & vents open it is still too hot for 25 plus. Mesh plus a pack-able waterproof is the way to go. I suppose it boils down to having experience of layering and working in different climates.

The Oxford Rain Seal jacket is pretty good. Might be too much for going over Rukka gear, but I wear it over leathers when the weather's wet and it's a great piece of kit. Well below your budget too - I got mine in Ireland for €30 shipped to my door.

As mentioned already, some of the cycling jackets are very lightweight and would suit too. Be careful of branded stuff - it can be crazy expensive while only marginally better than the midrange stuff. Serious brand snobbery with cycling gear (even worse than motorbike kit). As well as Wiggle check out Chain Reaction Cycles - between the two of them, you should find what you want.

Thanks for the information, I will check the sites a little later. I would hope they do Black items rather than dayglo yellow!!!:D

i use the cheap ones at Mountain ware house ..cost around £25 and pack down to more or less fit in your pocket ..they are lined too , so stop any sweating, perfect for the god old uk summer days when an odd shower is expected........like today .similar ones are available at Millets

Commandoallan, I hate dayglo too ....most bikers do ?
But to be honest, when its lashing down, that might be the one time you should consider wearing it ?

Anyone got any ideas/ information on a well performing jacket to be used in summer/ spring that is windproof/ water resistant and can be put over a Rukka Airall?

A Gortex DPM jacket will cost you about £30 from an Army Surplus store and will pack down small, be as tough as a tough thing and be 100% wind / waterproof.

Alternatively something like a Klim Over Jacket ( LINKY )will do the job but is probably out of budget.

I use both and TBH there's no difference in performance, just looks ;)

Andres

I can't agree that the Oxford RainSeal jacket is good overall. It's absolutely waterproof - no doubt about that. But I don't find it breathable. After wearing it during rain (over my well-vented textile jacket) the inner lining of the RainSeal jacket and outer fabric of my textile jacket are both damp. This is from heat vapour moving out from my textile jacket, and then being blocked by the non-breathable RainSeal jacket, and forming as condensation. Doesn't pack particularly small either.

I'm also on the lookout for a breathable shell for over my textile jacket. My Rab Latok Alpine is probably too fragile (and expensive) for me to subject it to the rigours of motorcycle life. I'll be checking out the Scott Concept DP next time I'm in AMI in Wexford.

I use a Revit Cyclone for £50 - black or hiviz - breathable and completely waterproof

Attachments

• IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 228
I can't agree that the Oxford RainSeal jacket is good overall. It's absolutely waterproof - no doubt about that. But I don't find it breathable. After wearing it during rain (over my well-vented textile jacket) the inner lining of the RainSeal jacket and outer fabric of my textile jacket are both damp. This is from heat vapour moving out from my textile jacket, and then being blocked by the non-breathable RainSeal jacket, and forming as condensation. Doesn't pack particularly small either.

I'm also on the lookout for a breathable shell for over my textile jacket. My Rab Latok Alpine is probably too fragile (and expensive) for me to subject it to the rigours of motorcycle life. I'll be checking out the Scott Concept DP next time I'm in AMI in Wexford.

Fair enough - when worn over my leathers it does the trick without any dampness inside at all. There is extra warmth of course, but that's going to happen with almost every jacket due to the extra layer involved. During the warmer months I really only tend to don my waterproof kit when it's bucketing down, otherwise I let the warm breeze dry out what little dampness the leathers have gained during the last shower...

i brought one from infinity its so small and thin it would fit in your pocket totally waterproof it was £30

I use a Revit Cyclone for £50 - black or hiviz - breathable and completely waterproof

That looks good. Whats the cut like and will it go over an existing jacket? Any ideas how many sizes I will have to go up from EU 48 and does it pack down well??

Thanks everyone else for your input, I did look at cycling jackets but they look very slim cut, I've had enough of DPM TBH and how is it in Fife? I spent a few years in Arbroath, love the Scottish mountains!!!

I think it may be the Cyclone in black.

Cheers all, Al.

.............I've had enough of DPM TBH and how is it in Fife? I spent a few years in Arbroath, love the Scottish mountains!!!
..........................l.

Yeah, likewise, hence buying the 'posh' Klim over jacket. I still use the DPM off roading though, mostly so people can't see me ;)

I'm not from Fife by the way, I'm in Nottingham. It's Aberdeen GS that reckons he's from Fife. He's not though really it's just that he has a few pseudonyms on here due to being a bit of a dick :)

Andres

Yeah, likewise, hence buying the 'posh' Klim over jacket. I still use the DPM off roading though, mostly so people can't see me ;)

I'm not from Fife by the way, I'm in Nottingham. It's Aberdeen GS that reckons he's from Fife. He's not though really it's just that he has a few pseudonyms on here due to being a bit of a dick :)

Andres

Hahaha,

Cheers Andres!!! Just looked at the specs of the revit and looks good, only 50 quid as stated so I think I'll go for that.:D

That looks good. Whats the cut like and will it go over an existing jacket? Any ideas how many sizes I will have to go up from EU 48 and does it pack down well??

Thanks everyone else for your input, I did look at cycling jackets but they look very slim cut, I've had enough of DPM TBH and how is it in Fife? I spent a few years in Arbroath, love the Scottish mountains!!!

I think it may be the Cyclone in black.

Cheers all, Al.

That jacket was recommened here by someone a few weeks ago (possibly Kritou again) It looked so good that I looked into it for cycling. Re sizing, if your motorcycling jacket is a large, then you buy a large cyclone...you don't size up.

Look here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQoV32JtDM

:thumb2

Cyclone jacket

I have a 44" chest, wear an XL Klim Traverse (which is a generous cut on me) with an XL Cyclone jacket on top - all works well

The Cyclone has no pockets which probably helps to make it 100% waterproof. In it's stuff bag it measures 36 (circumference) by 20cms

What a pointless comment, we struggle because despite the weather when you get there somtimes you have to ride through cold wet shite where you need your UK gear, either that or carry extra jackets!!!

I went to portugal in July, and it rained almost the whole way from home to French/Spanish boarder and was also damn cold, would not want to have had to do it in a swiss cheese hole jacket, same on the way back.

I agree that idealy you want two completly different sets of riding gear for the two completly different climates, but you make do with what you have.

Back
Top Bottom