Talk me in or out of it another GS or a Multistrada?

Not that is means a thing but there's a group test in MCN this week between the Multi 1200,GSA 1200,KTM 1290R and Africa Twin.

The Ducati just snatches victory from the KTM,the BMW is third and the Honda brings up the rear.

Turn those places around and you'd have the sales figures, nearly.

Thanks for your advice gents but due to financial circumstances I will have to rule out the Multistrada just on Insurance cost alone. I was just about to set off to ride the bike and thought best just check what I can insure it for in case I do something silly like buy it! So I phone the wonderful wankers at Dedvitt my insurer for the last two years and ask the to confirm how many years no claims they are taking due to loss claim of the GS all 4 years they say (not us the underwriter they say)? so cheapest quote I can get and its company I have never heard of is £1865!!!!!!!!!!

So Att may be right looks like a fooking 20 year old cheap Austrian moped for me for the next few years.

:blast

Having had a number of Ducati's including a Multistrada my opinion is they are great bikes. Like any marque they are really only as good as your dealer and I have had great service from WM Snells in Alton, MotoRapido are my closest Ducati main dealer but I have been there several times and they can hardly be bothered to say hello. I had a 2014 MTS1200GT, which really was great bike, my brother in law has the base model and has a huge mileage on it. Reliable and reasonable servicing costs IMO.

I chopped my MTS & F800GS for a 1200GSA as it was daft having two similar style bikes. One of my pet hates is chains so that was a big factor i going with the GS.

I think if you are commuting why would you bother with a chain, if you are a weekend warrior then the MTS is the way to go.

ymfb

Your dead right on that one, tried two dealers first one told me to not Park mi car their parking s for bikes?

Went on Saturday morning to pull the trigger on a nearly new 1200s at another dealer but couldn't get near the staff, due to a very irate customer screaming that he had had the bike less than 4 months and they had it back 6 times and if they didn't sort it this time he would leave it in the beeping door step as it was no beeping good to him. ( Coincidentally the first time I have ever taken my daughter into a bike dealership). So that set my mind back to the GS, back in the car run back to Rainbow good deal made new Rallye Sport to collect next Thursday.

ymfb

Your dead right on that one, tried two dealers first one told me to not Park mi car their parking s for bikes?

Went on Saturday morning to pull the trigger on a nearly new 1200s at another dealer but couldn't get near the staff, due to a very irate customer screaming that he had had the bike less than 4 months and they had it back 6 times and if they didn't sort it this time he would leave it in the beeping door step as it was no beeping good to him. ( Coincidentally the first time I have ever taken my daughter into a bike dealership). So that set my mind back to the GS, back in the car run back to Rainbow good deal made new Rallye Sport to collect next Thursday and into the Dales with Rick on Friday

Fixed

I don't want to start a whole new thread for this.
I'm looking at a Multistrada 1200s GT...........what is considered high mileage on one of these??

The one I'm looking at has 30k miles on it, can they handle the long haul?

Sent from a U11

I haven't owned the Ducati, but I have three close friends who have.

One's had two in the last 4/5 years, no issues whatsoever and he loves the bike.
The other two, well, that's a different story. Both have had issues with the hydraulic clutch mechanisms. One lost the clutch completely and has to go everywhere with a can of fluid (back to the dealer's about 3 times before they sorted it; the other had issues on day 1 of a trip to the south of France (serviced about 2 days before he left). One of the three seems to drink oil at a rate that would make a 2-stroke blush.

Don't know whether this applies to the latest models, but the guy who lost his clutch also mentioned that there are some of the belts that need replacing at odd intervals (I think he said 15 and 18k, although this could be different). He decided to get them both done at the same time as a service (just before heading to the South of France), and that cost him £1,500. And they returned the bike with an oil leak that he wasn't happy with. He also complains the electrics / switches aren't the same quality as his last few bikes (2 Fireblades and a CBR600).

But they are quite pretty.

I expect to you, the GS / GSA is more of a known quantity. I've had 5 in the last 15 years and although stuff eventually goes wrong, my experience is that it's usually associated with mileage (I probably do about 25k each year on mine). Considering the mileage I do, I wouldn't consider the Ducati. If I did about 5-6k per year would this change my opinion? Probably not, as I've seen friends get frustrated by them on too many occasions.

Sure, GSs will suffer corrosion if you use them all year round in salty conditions and don't clean them off after each outing, but if you want the biking equivalent of the Duracell Bunny, it's the only viable option in my view.

Good luck with the purchase, be it Ducati or BMW. Or Honda...

pre DVT ive seen a couple of 100,00 miles plus bikes , I found the ohlins shod S bikes to be the best all rounder from 2010/11 onwards.
Everything from the GT fits the standard S so don't just look at the GT would be my advice.
fuel sender issues are a given and the new ones don't fix the issue either , though ive only lost one in over 30k , Ducati replaced it out of warranty too.
Over 3 different bikes I've broke down once.
I would never swap one for a GS , they are totally different bikes IMHO.

pre DVT ive seen a couple of 100,00 miles plus bikes , I found the ohlins shod S bikes to be the best all rounder from 2010/11 onwards.
Everything from the GT fits the standard S so don't just look at the GT would be my advice.
fuel sender issues are a given and the new ones don't fix the issue either , though ive only lost one in over 30k , Ducati replaced it out of warranty too.
Over 3 different bikes I've broke down once.
I would never swap one for a GS , they are totally different bikes IMHO.
I have a 2012 1200s with the electric Ohlins in my garage at the moment.
It belongs to a mate who is in recovery from a fairly nasty track accident, so I'll have it until next summer at least.
There is a 2013 1200s GT for sale locally......and it looks mint. I do 15 to 20k kms a year and I'm worried that the bike already has 45,000kms on it, I normally keep them for 4 or 5 years.
a18488fcb11212f02bc5820e196427f2.jpg

Sent from a U11

Just had a note pop up from Ducati, now offering 4 year warranty on new Multistrada’s, thats quite a temptation for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So which way are you leaning so to speak? You have me visiting 2 Ducati dealerships tomorrow, all your fault nothing to do with me
I'm leaning towards putting my GS up for sale this weekend and rejoining the Ducati fold.

Sent from a U11

After several R1200GS's I wanted a change and something a bit lighter, went for a test drive on a MS 950S, suited the bill perfectly, really nice and all the toys, will see how we get on on a longer trip next year..

Back
Top Bottom