Not another Brit touring the Colonies.

Heading down 141 from Gateway, we hit this gorge

with some monument valley style bluffs

The road twists it's way along a river, slowly rising...

to this high point

Continuing on, we stopped for an ice cream at the oldest, continuously trading, grocery store in the USA. The view from the window is rather pleasant.

This is the new owner, who told us all about how the store was used to film a scene in the movie Thelma & Louise. Apparently, the previous owners kept the store realy well stocked with tins and packets of groceries, something the new owner has, sadly, let slide. The place has terrific character, but some of the shelves are looking a tad bare.

It was still a great spot to stop off for a break though.

The store from outside.

We headed into Moab, where i'd arranged to stay a few nights with Bob and Monique.

Monique works for the Park Ranger Service and advised we get out early to see Arches in good light.

I got going the next morning and headed for Delicate Arch

which is on the left.

I then did a quick loop of the park

as it was clouding over rather quickly

and headed back to their house.

I'd arranged to go out in Bob's Jeep, for a little drive round, which...

was a grand idea given the way the weather was looking

We drove past this balanced rock

Here's Bob and Monique

and we hit the trails

up The Shafer Trail, which is a one car wide, steep, winding, dirt road, with big drop offs and no barriers,

and into Canyonlands

National

Park

Once up high, you get this spectacular view of The Rim Trail

and an arch

where I managed to grab a shot without hordes of people in

I wasn't sure what to expect from Moab, or whether i'd like it, but it's a spectacular place.

Some cracking photo's there.
Looks like a really good trip, something to add to my already full bucket list :tears

Jesus - some bloody gorgeous cars there, no matter how polished they are

It's an interesting conundrum: polished to hell as a museum piece just seems all wrong. They were built as modes of transport, not static sculptures. So, to my mind, they should be used....

I cannot get my head around someone that buys something like a Porsche or Ferrari, which are definately "drivers' cars", but then chose to tuck them away in a garage for fear of the car 'losing value'

Next morning, with a much improved weather forecast, I headed back into Arches for a little hike round.

Just like every National Park in the USA, you need to be up and in at the crack of dawn

otherwise you just get overrun by hundreds of gawping tourists

This was my main arch of the day and I left a trail of footsteps in the sand behind me.

Being the first person on the trail gave me some great shots of the arches

and some close up encounters with the wildlife.

I'll let the other photo's speak for themselves....

Arches and Canyonlands have to be amongst the most beautiful places on the planet. The whole area is just stunning.

Hi Rich

Hi Rich, just catching up with your travels. I've just got back from Canada been touring in a RV around the Rockies and Kootenay's, by look at your pictures we just possibly pasted each other, we where going upward as you where coming down. Isn't it a big country with awesome views and sites.

Take care, Enjoy

BG

After my morning amble, I met up with Mark, Bob and Monique at the Moab Movie Locations Museum. You'd be surprised at how many films have been recorded in this area. John Wayne was a regular visitor, but Back To The Future and countless others' are listed.

It's right next to the rather muddy and murky Colorado River...

which this old suspension bridge crosses.

Well, used to cross.

OUr wonderful hosts, Bob and Monique. Apparently, Bob also turned up at Horizons, but I missed him. I'm not great with people in crowds, so you should've said hi Bob. Sorry I missed you.

Hi Rich, just catching up with your travels. I've just got back from Canada been touring in a RV around the Rockies and Kootenay's, by look at your pictures we just possibly pasted each other, we where going upward as you where coming down. Isn't it a big country with awesome views and sites.

Take care, Enjoy

BG

Flying home today Barry, being on the bike is the best way to get the best overall picture of a country, but getting out on a hike or mountain bike gives equally great scenery, for a little added effort. Hope you enjoyed your mobile cocoon. :thumby:

Leaving Moab, I headed South early, as it was a big day in the saddle to Grand Canyon. My good buddy, Doug Holck had recommended a scenic route, which I duly took. On the way to this start point, I was questioning Doug's recommendation, as it was a barren, scrubby, dry and uninteresting landscape. However, I then reached this sign....

and a view miraculously appeared.

The road takes you down a bit of a hll and into the appropriately named Valley Of The Gods.

But I dd pause for the odd picture on the way down...

as it was another stunning location.

Riding through the valley, you can see why some of the natural stone structures can be visualised as heads and torso's.

All in all...

a superb location to ride through.

After exiting the valley, I then passed this Mexican Hat

on the way to Monument Valley

I'd heard you're not allowed to ride a motorcycle around the dirt road to view the monoliths, so didn't bother stopping, so carried on to the big hole in the ground instead.

I don't know who started the rumour about not being able to ride around Monument Valley - you really missed a treat by not going there Rich... :confused:

Nearing the end of my day and i've noticed a wee dribble of oil coming from thr final drive gaiter. I try the sniff test, but i'm unsure whether it's final drive oil or gearbox. I keep on going till I find this large hole in the ground.

Which looked rather spectaculer and I was glad the weather was holding up for me.

Si I managed to take

more than a few

photo's.

Gratuitous mug shot.

Another shot of the hole

and a good shot of Mark on the iphone

which led to a selfie.

I don't know who started the rumour about not being able to ride around Monument Valley - you really missed a treat by not going there Rich... :confused:

I wasn't that fussed about going round, but I did hear from a few people that motorcycles weren't allowed on the dirt road and there was a long queue to get in.

They have stopped us riding round there the last 2 years Mike. Thy have given a different reason each time but my guess is they are trying to get everyone to pay for a tour.

I camped up at Grand Canyon for the evening, awaiting the arrival of Mark. Whilst waiting, I gave the bike another good look over and noticed there was now a fair bit of play in the rear wheel, so it was looking like the final drive was on it's way out. 'What next', I was aksing myself. Anyhow, Mark arrived in the dark and we got going down to Williams in the morning, at a steady, limp along, 50mph till we reached this joint.

which had a great urinal divider

I was going to stick the bike in a U-Haul and drive up to Modesto, but once we arrived in Williams, I had a couple of messages from Advrider with offers of trailer assistamce.

So we bided our time until Mike, from Kingman, turned up to the rescue.

I camped up at Grand Canyon for the evening, awaiting the arrival of Mark. Whilst waiting, I gave the bike another good look over and noticed there was now a fair bit of play in the rear wheel, so it was looking like the final drive was on it's way out. 'What next', I was aksing myself. Anyhow, Mark arrived in the dark and we got going down to Williams in the morning, at a steady, limp along, 50mph till we reached this joint.

which had a great urinal divider

I was going to stick the bike in a U-Haul and drive up to Modesto, but once we arrived in Williams, I had a couple of messages from Advrider with offers of trailer assistamce.

So we bided our time until Mike, from Kingman, turned up to the rescue.

I stayed with Mike for a couple of days, in a sperb teardrop trailer, which allowed us to take a drive around the loacl area.

with his buddy, Rick,

This was a smooth part of the trail, which was really rough in lots of places and slow going.

We stopped for a little wander where I grabbed a photo of Mike. I was feeling a tad flat at this point, so didn't get the best photographs. Mike, his wife Melissa, and I went out for a superb Japanese meal on the first night. The sushi was delicious.

Our pilot for the next day, Rick,

and a shot of me out in the hot and fairly barren landscape

The boys enjoyed themselves, whilst Melissa had a day to herself and kindly cooked a lovely veggie pasta.

I chatted with Mike about hiring a U-Haul from Kingman, so I could get to my next bit of Adv assistace over in Tehachapi. Mike, very kindly and above the call of duty, offered to take me, for which I was very grateful. We had a good start and made it to Tehachapi in time for lunch, which I duly treated Mike to, and we then met up with Gary, who'd offered to run me up to Modesto, as he was heading to Mariposa.

I met Gary at his hanger (man cave) in Tehachapi, where he was preparing his trailer to head up to the Horizons gathering in Mariposa. Remember the car museum in Gateway? Well, Gary dropped by a buddy of his, on our way to his place, and he had his own personal version...

I am really liking these American Jeeps. I think they're way better than a Lanndrover and, if I coud afford the fuel, i'd probably have one.

I stayed in a modern one of these at Mike's in Kingman. They're very comfortable.

Then we looked at the real classics

Of which, this one was my absolute favourite

He's even got the 50's diner diorama.

Attention to design detailing is superb.

My wonderful hosts, Gary and Sally.

I finally made it to Horizons, where I met these terrific chaps who were very good at remodelling and re-covering seats.

Gary and I spent some time with them during the evening and they were a great couple of guys.

I spotted this bike, with it's somewhat over engineered trailer system. The couple riding it were just about to head out on an epic adventure.

Due to my bike woes and having to cut the trip short, I didn't have the luxury of time to spend in Yosemite, so I headed out from Horizons for the day. On the way, I stopped at Raleys, to grab a sandwich for lunch, where I spotted this little gem of a motor.

Split screens, front and rear!

Then it was into the park, where I tried to drive up to Glacier View Point, but was met with a 12 mile traffic jam...

so I went for a walk instead

and got to see a couple of well known landmarks.

After leaving Mariposa, I was headed back to Doug's, near Lodi, where he took me to a local museum. The displays charted the history of the central Californian Valley and how it was levelled to grow crops. One of the more unusual exhibits was this early jukebox.

Dave, up at Eastview Blueberry Farm will probably recognise this

and may well have driven one of these in his early days.

My buddy, Doug, kindly lent me his old Adventure, to which I was very thankful. She's a bit tired, having done 96K, but she got me where I needed to go.

Doug and I took a ride to a vineyard near Murphy's, which is famous for this rare exhibit

and the longest running hotel in the USA

On Doug's recommendation, I headed North, to Old Sacramento, which is one of the original railroad towns and is known for this bridge,

as well as the railroad.

Old Sac is an olde worlde tourist spot, but isn't overly fake and cheesy

with this rather nice looking, and smelling,

sweet shop

There's a statue remembering the old pony express, which was very short lived

and you can wander the old board walks to buy your tourist tat.

Into the rail museum and they had some nice exhibits.

This one, from the late 30's/early 40's is mahoosive!

Back
Top Bottom