New GSA owner here.

Karlos

Reaction score
Hi, I've just purchased a R1200GSA. First BMW I've owned, I'm moving from a Triumph Explorer 1200XC.

I don't know if there is thread for Sat Navs on here? My question is can the standard Navigator V cradle and wiring be easily removed, the reason being I already have a Garmin LM sat nav and don't relish the thought of spending £600+ for the Nav V when my existing sat nav does the job.

Cheers

Karlos

If it is a late model LC bike with the LH hand wheel, sell your satnav and get a Nav V on here.
They are always poping up around £300 or so.
The Nav V gives you all the info from the bike.

What pat says...
The wheel integration is worth having. And the mount has a lock whereas a third party ram-mount, or similar, may not .

If it is a late model LC bike with the LH hand wheel, sell your satnav and get a Nav V on here.
They are always poping up around £300 or so.
The Nav V gives you all the info from the bike.

apart from when the front end is about to snap......

Hello and welcome. I hope you enjoy your new R1200GSA. I'm on my second one now and still enjoying it more than ever.

As for your sat nav, I had the same dilemma with my Garmin 660 when I traded in my Multistrada. It was still a great unit but wouldn't fit on the standard BMW cradle and work with the bike. Honestly you are way better with the BMW option as some of the comments above. It works so well with the bike and using the thumb wheel on the bike is great. I don't think you'd regret it. Plenty dealers are doing a good deal on the Nav IV just now which in my book is all you'd need.

Let us know how you get on. :thumby:

Grums3

Thanks for the welcome. Does the Nav IV have all the bike data and link to the thumb wheel?

Hi

If you don't go for the BMW sat nav the cradle is very easy to remove

You can buy a connector to power your sat nav off the BMW loom, I have my Tomtom set up that way, works great

I've seen topics on the 3 wire connector, is that what you have done? Also is this feed via the connector 12volt or 5volt?

I've seen topics on the 3 wire connector, is that what you have done? Also is this feed via the connector 12volt or 5volt?

Not sure about the voltage, I've run it off 12 volts on a previous bike but I guess the Tomtom cradle steps it down

I got the connector from Nippy Normans and soldered the 2 wires to the Tomtom lead

Power is switched by the canbus as with the OEM sat nav

I got a clamp made at work for the 12mm bar above the clocks and mounted the Tomtom cradle

Looks like this:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e-on-holiday?p=4742613&viewfull=1#post4742613

Grums3

Thanks for the welcome. Does the Nav IV have all the bike data and link to the thumb wheel?

Yes, it does everything. All the bike data is displayed on different screens on the nav unit. If you like to listen to music you can download this to a micro SD card which can be placed in the unit and you can listen to this if you use a Bluetooth Comm system or such like. I use the Autocom hard wired system on my bike with the Bluetooth adapter connected to my Nav IV. Just also bare in mind if you want to use the unit in your car you'd have to buy the BMW car mount otherwise you cant hear the Audio commands. I kept my 660 for the car.

Enjoy your GSA ... the bearded fellow in the You Tube vid is Bruce Smart @TeaPotOne .. round the world biker and he has plenty of threads and stuff worth listening to !

Yes, it does everything. All the bike data is displayed on different screens on the nav unit. If you like to listen to music you can download this to a micro SD card which can be placed in the unit and you can listen to this if you use a Bluetooth Comm system or such like. I use the Autocom hard wired system on my bike with the Bluetooth adapter connected to my Nav IV. Just also bare in mind if you want to use the unit in your car you'd have to buy the BMW car mount otherwise you cant hear the Audio commands. I kept my 660 for the car.

Sorry to be a pain. But does the IV have the tyre pressure details, engine temp, oil temp etc? Only asking as the Nav IVs are selling for around £100 whereas the Nav Vs are £300+
Thanks Karlos

Sorry to be a pain. But does the IV have the tyre pressure details, engine temp, oil temp etc? Only asking as the Nav IVs are selling for around £100 whereas the Nav Vs are £300+
Thanks Karlos

Karlos, I'm not 100% sure. I'm running the Nav 5. If you have a few extra $$$'s Id say its worth it. I've attached a link so you can read up on all the functions on the Nav V unit! Think this may persuade you :thumby:

http://www.globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml

Just a small point (thread creep!) - showing how a sat nav can be useful in the event you get hit by a car.

( well it won't stop the pain, but could help in a. subsequent legal claim )

This guy has some good videos, in this particular one, he was taken out by a bus whilst filtering ...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCKKSVhHbQY

That ought to be a thread on its own :thumb

Back
Top Bottom