R1200GS ABS bypass

Dan150668

Reaction score
Hi....joined only recently due to my rear ABS playing up on my 2004 R1200GS...all of the threads on either fixing the micro switches with harvested parts from old pumps or the 'How to' ABS bypass info, were really useful.....especially when I realised that the local BMW dealer wanted £1700 to supply and fit a new pump.
Fotunately having a pal with a diagnostic kit cost me nothing, so I ordered the '3 piece bypass kit' from Motorworks, costing £98 including next day delivery.
I'm only at the 'change oil, filters and plugs' level but watching and sort of helping the local bike mechanic, it was pain free, costing £75 for 2 hours labour! Grand total for the bypass was £173.

One question: we saw no reason to remove the actual pump, but was unsure whether to leave all the electics plugged in, therefore the mechanic was uneasy leaving it plugged into the pump, but now I have no speedo! Do I plug it back in and just leave the pump to just pump air, or have we missed something obvious?

One good tip was to empty the brake fluid by turning the ignition on and applying the brakes, apologies if it's already out there but I didn't see it.

Another was that we only used the rear pipe piece and the splitter, as we could see no reason not to use the rear brake pipe adapter, so maybe save yourself a few quid and only order the two parts.

Unscrew the electronics "box" from the Pump and disconnect the connectors inside

Refit it to the pump unit if you wish or make a cover to seal it up and just connect the box back to the loom allowing you to remove a Kg of pump unit

You will have a speedo but you will need to cover up the flashing LED Brake warning lights

Remove the front sensor, ABS sticker and ABS ring and you have a "Non ABS" motorcycle when you present for MOT

Unscrew the electronics "box" from the Pump and disconnect the connectors inside

Refit it to the pump unit if you wish or make a cover to seal it up and just connect the box back to the loom allowing you to remove a Kg of pump unit

You will have a speedo but you will need to cover up the flashing LED Brake warning lights

Remove the front sensor, ABS sticker and ABS ring and you have a "Non ABS" motorcycle when you present for MOT

Or cover just the two Red LEDs on the Red amber indicator and the other Red inicator

leave the ABS ring etc. the bike then shows an amber check light and then goes out ;)

Dr Farkoff's answer is spot on. Just did mine recently - I left the front ring sensor (did I read somewhere the bike will use that as a backup speedo sensor if rear sensor fails or is that something I imagined?) on and the ABS switch alone - no problem with MOT last week. I also called motorworks to order the kit and only the 2 parts were required but they said 3 parts (same as you) - I just returned the unused part and they refunded me no problem. I took pictures of the job at each stage - happy to write up a detailed how too if anyone interested?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My bike last year had a new (used from motorworks) speedo sensor. ABS sorted and all good.

This morning the brake warning light came on. :(

The ABS was working fine last time out (the back brake juddering - as it does if you use the pedal). Looks like another job to check the wiring connector under the seat.

Hi thanks for this, just rang them and will be sending the adaptor back for my £37 refund!

Having read that you can 'dismantle and rebuild using second hand parts, I now have an ABS pump to donate should anyone want it, the front was working fine and the rear was intermittent.
Let me know if you want it, email zoar2010@hotmail.co.uk

Dr Farkoff's answer is spot on. Just did mine recently - I left the front ring sensor (did I read somewhere the bike will use that as a backup speedo sensor if rear sensor fails or is that something I imagined?) on and the ABS switch alone - no problem with MOT last week. I also called motorworks to order the kit and only the 2 parts were required but they said 3 parts (same as you) - I just returned the unused part and they refunded me no problem. I took pictures of the job at each stage - happy to write up a detailed how too if anyone

Yes please Hunda, i for one would find a detailed write up with pics very useful. :beerjug:

OK here goes:

First of all my bike is a 2006 Adventure - whether or not there are any subtle differences on other bikes I cannot say.

I bought these two parts from Motorworks:

Part numbers: BRA50965A and BRA95966

First job is to remove fuel tank to access ABS unit under tank:

I then started with the rear brake by attaching a pipe and bottle to rear caliper bleed nipple opened the nipple and pumped out as much fluid using the servo motor as would come. This was repeated for both front calipers. I then disconnected the brake pipes going into the top of the servo unit - the pipes are held in by a small clip that can be levered out with a small flat blade screw driver - just slide the rubber boot up the pipes and you'll see the clips. Pipes then just pull out but have rags ready to catch spilt brake fluid. The pipe on front left goes to front master cylinder and pipe on rear left goes to rear master cylinder. Fluid in the can be pumped out of these now open pipes using the brake levers with a suitable container to catch the fluid. I didn't take any pictures of this stage but basically you are trying to empty all the fluid out of the system.

ABS unit can now be removed from the bike. Disconnect battery (just in case to protect electronics unit on ABS unit as this is required to be kept). Disconnect the big plug from top of ABS unit and also two smaller plugs on top of ABS unit (smaller plugs can be taped up and cabled tied out the way as they will not be reconnected again - they are connected to the float sensors in ABS unit). ABS unit can be removed by undoing two torx bolts underneath - one is accessed on right hand side of bike underneath rear of ABS unit (very close to frame so tight squeeze) and the other is accessed from laft side of bike underneath front of ABS unit. Takes a bit of wriggling unit around but it does then come complete with its mounting underneath it.

Next I disconnected the pipes from the connections here by the headstock:

These pipes can then be removed and the connecting piece from Motorworks fitted in their place:

Next remove the two pipes by the rear brake lever (one is screw fitting and other is a small clip like on ABS unit):

These pipes can then be removed and the other connecting piece from Motorworks fitted:

That's it for the pipework.

Next I took the electronics off from the ABS unit. Undo the four 5 pointed security torx type bolts holding the electronics part to the ABS unit (I bought some suitable security bits from ebay - Silverhill 5 point star torx security bits). Fold the electronics unit forward:

The two small plugs are disconnected first:

Just lever off with a small screw driver. Next disconnect the servo motor wires - I pulled off with a pair of long nosed pliers:

Electronics unit is now free from ABS unit:

The electronics unit now needs to have the exposed electronics sealed from the elements. I cut a piece of aluminium sheet to size and shape and covered the exposed electronics using some long bolts:

I then covered the lot with self amalgamating tape. I took the mounting bracket off the bottom of the ABS unit and using a piece of flat aluminium bar, a couple of right angle brackets and some nuts and bolts made a new bracket to hold the electronics back in place on the bike. I attached this to the electronics via the previously fitted long bolts:

I then fitted the electronics unit back into the bike and connected the big connector:

I could have just cable tied the electronics in place and not faffed around with the bracket but I had bits lying around and decided it would be neater.

Next was dealing with warning lights in clocks. The clocks had to be removed from the bike which in my case involved removing screen and headlamp:

Clocks were opened up to access the warning LED's (just undo screws on back of clocks and prise apart). Watch you don't lose the trip meter reset push button pieces as it comes apart. I used insulation tape to cover the LED's - completely blank out brake failure warning and the red LED's on the general warning triangle:

Re-assemble the clocks and put them all back together and plug back into bike. Next refill the brakes with fluid and bleed them as you would do with any normal set of bike brakes. Reconnect the battery (check warning lights in dark and that red warning triangle and brake failure lights can't be seen but that amber warning triangle can be seen) and put the bike back together and that's it job done :D Take for a test ride and enjoy your new servo-less, ABS-less bike :D

The electronics unit is required for the speedo to work. It gets the speed from the rear wheel ABS sensor (mounted in final drive). I have been told if this sensor fails it then gets the speed from the front wheel ABS sensor and ring - I don't know if this is correct or not but I left my fron wheel sensor and ring in place. I had no problems with recent MOT.

I think the brakes are good without the servo - more feel to them and not so sharp. Yes you've got to bear in mind you have no ABS but then this is the only ABS equipped bike I've ever owned so I can live without the ABS - just ride a bit more carefully to avoid needing the ABS ;) I still get a slight shock when I don't hear the servo motors when first turning on the ignition because I've heard it for 10 years but I'm sure I'll not notice soon enough :rolleyes:

Anyway hope the above is of some help and OK to follow.

Lovely, thanks Hunda I've now saved this into my favourites ready for when I do mine. Very usefull!!

Quick addendum to this thread,

I have a servoectomised 2006.

If the rear ABS sendor fails, it does not switch to the front one.

Now i'm not sure if this is applicable to all lobotomised unit's, as i dont know who performed the procedure and what sparkery stuff they did.

Just one to be aware of .

Mart

If the rear ABS sendor fails, it does not switch to the front one.

Thanks for the clarification there - I had a thought that I'd read that it does somewhere but I could easily be mis-remembering :blast or even have just dreamt of reading it :eek:

If that is the case then I might remove the front ring and sensor as well.

The other thing I did nothing with was the ABS switch - has anyone removed this, found a blanking plate or done anything with it? Doesn't really bother me as it went through it's MOT without any questions and I'm happy with the "new" brakes but may as well ask ;)

Thanks for the clarification there - I had a thought that I'd read that it does somewhere but I could easily be mis-remembering :blast or even have just dreamt of reading it :eek:

The other thing I did nothing with was the ABS switch - has anyone removed this, found a blanking plate or done anything with it? Doesn't really bother me as it went through it's MOT without any questions and I'm happy with the "new" brakes but may as well ask ;)

Funny last time i looked it was just a blank button ;)

No i read it too, but i tried unplugging the rear sensor, and nothing happens,

it may be beacuse the box of tricks is confused with all the messages it gets. ;)

Good you read it too somewhere - I'm not going mad :D

If it doesn't work it doesn't work - I guess there is no reason BMW would have made it that way :nenau

I have a button with ABS written on it (left bar and used for switching off ABS if you don't want it). Also the flashing warning light for a braking system fault says "Brake failure" on it - I'm sure other bikes say ABS on warning light. My bike was bought new in Germany but fitted with a set of UK clocks upon purchase - don't know if that's the reason for any switch writing (the other button says BC - standing for BordComputer in German and on board computer in English) saying something different from your bike.

Good you read it too somewhere - I'm not going mad :D

If it doesn't work it doesn't work - I guess there is no reason BMW would have made it that way :nenau

I have a button with ABS written on it (left bar and used for switching off ABS if you don't want it). Also the flashing warning light for a braking system fault says "Brake failure" on it - I'm sure other bikes say ABS on warning light. My bike was bought new in Germany but fitted with a set of UK clocks upon purchase - don't know if that's the reason for any switch writing (the other button says BC - standing for BordComputer in German and on board computer in English) saying something different from your bike.

Now i did read that early onset alzheimers can strike at inoppertune moments. ;)

now did my lower button have ABS on it when i picked up the bike it was dark and a long time ago ???

if you have the flashing red ABS or brake symbol upon starting the bike and it's uk registered,

it will be deemed an MOT failure if presented for a mot with the red ABS or (brake symbol) lamp flashing and not extinguished.

Yeh probably early onset!

It's UK registered (I bought it new in Germany because it was cheaper and had a shorter waiting list including cost of flying over to fetch it - had UK clocks fitted straight away) and has been since I picked it up in Germany and rode it back to UK on a temporary German plate.

Flashy lights are sorted with sticky tape as in my how to post but the flashy light for the brakes said "Brake Failue" and not "ABS" or a brake symbol picture. Maybe my clocks were not quite proper UK ones :nenau

James Sherlock sell ABS delete kits. The clocks will need to be opened and the ABS/brake failure LED painted black. As they bother you so badly, the ABS button can have its letters rubbed off.

Back
Top Bottom