Electrical, tach and brake light not working. 1996 gspd.

Dermott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Posting this to see if someone else has had the same problem.
As in title, no brake light or revcounter working. Have been checking the wiring, do not get power to fuze 4 when ign on, have pulled r/h handlebar switch plug apart and have continuity on green/yellow to brake switches, but no power on green.
Using Haynes diagram, and not sure if it is correct for my German import. Have not looked at ign switch yet, everything else is ok, and charging is ok.
D

Dermot basically any Green with black or Green with red or plain Green should be an ignition feed

If you were to rig a 10(?) amp fuse to a length of wire and connect it to the fuse 4 output side does everything work?

I suspect internal Ign switch problem I can't see it being a load shedding relay as the tacho should work with the relay not working

Haynes is "basically" correct except that they were made for America and show no headlamp switch where they had "always on" headlamps I think

Colours, connector numbers etc should all be correct with just the headlamp switch being different

If you were to rig a 10(?) amp fuse to a length of wire "FROM THE BATTERY" and connect it to the fuse 4 output side does everything work?

EDIT I missed a bit out

What you are doing is "injecting" a positive feed for the bits that use fuse 4 if they work then you step back and have a look

If you connect to the "Supply" side of the fuse what you will do is basically backfeed to any connection points of that wire and supply anything else that uses that circuit

Sorry! my bad, just because the fuze looked ok I made a presumption. after l followed all logical power feed, it was the fuze.

Dermott what you need for your arsenal of tools is a Sealey PPX PP1 or PP2

You connect it to the battery (Presuming there is power in it ) :aidan

and you can touch it to a suspected power point

the LED will glow green if it is earthed (could be a via a bulb, horn, motor) or Red if there is power in the wire

If you suspect a fuse is blown if you touch it to the wee alloy bit you can see each side on the outside of the fuse

If its live it will glow Red and If no power but an earth (as above) it will glow green

So if you get red on one side of a fuse and green on the other? the fuse is Duffed

Brilliant tool to have

Also there is a fly lead which is earth IF you say want to test a bulb you hold the bulb casing to the crocodile clip and touch the probe to the contact if the LED glows green you have a circuit Press the switch for forward and you can inject positive current and the bulb should light

Just a couple of ways that it is useful

Back
Top Bottom