KTM beats BMW r1200GS

Aren't the R and the Rallye supposed to be both marks primo off road bikes in this class? There are far better road bikes than both of them but that's not what these bikes are supposed to be about.

The KTM 'R' is very usable off road, as in they are a great big dirt bike. The suspension is high quality and manually adjustable, they handle just like a (heavy) dirt bike and the electronics work very well indeed off road.

The GS is a road bike that can go off road, it's not an off road bike, it's a very different beast. The Rallye has slightly longer travel suspension but, other than that, would seem to be just a marketing exercise to appeal to those that want a different coloured GS and/or like the 'image' of a big off road bike but don't want the real thing.

Andres

The KTM 'R' is very usable off road, as in they are a great big dirt bike. The suspension is high quality and manually adjustable, they handle just like a (heavy) dirt bike and the electronics work very well indeed off road.

The GS is a road bike that can go off road, it's not an off road bike, it's a very different beast. The Rallye has slightly longer travel suspension but, other than that, would seem to be just a marketing exercise to appeal to those that want a different coloured GS and/or like the 'image' of a big off road bike but don't want the real thing.

Andres

That's just nutty !

The Rallye only has longer travel suspension if you spec it. It's not standard.

My R makes a stunning road bike. It depends what you want. Most, I suspect will prefer the BMW, but that just means it's *better* for them.

If the Rallye is just a tarts handbag for the sheep then why did they test it against the R? SAS would surely have been a more comparable test and I suspect it would run rings round the GS. Maybe that's the point of course. The press are starting to be a little less the emperor's new clothes when it comes to BMW but it does still creep in.

Wouldnt be hard since the GS/A is devoid of personality

What exactly are you expecting? An Iron Man 'good morning Sir' welcome? The GS/A has bucket loads of character. It wouldn't have lived long in my garage without.

The two bikes are just different, that's all. The KTM has it's engine, but the jury is out on whether it's real world riding faster. It certainly feels faster, but I'd wager I wouldn't be far behind you at the destination. If the KTM makes you feel fuzzy, then buy one. Personally, I like it. Two test rides later, though, and both times I got back on the GSA and just thought 'this is a better package'.....for me. As soon as its shocks stop falling off it'll be even better :blast

What exactly are you expecting? An Iron Man 'good morning Sir' welcome? The GS/A has bucket loads of character. It wouldn't have lived long in my garage without.

The two bikes are just different, that's all. The KTM has it's engine, but the jury is out on whether it's real world riding faster. It certainly feels faster, but I'd wager I wouldn't be far behind you at the destination. If the KTM makes you feel fuzzy, then buy one. Personally, I like it. Two test rides later, though, and both times I got back on the GSA and just thought 'this is a better package'.....for me. As soon as its shocks stop falling off it'll be even better :blast

I rode my brother's Rallye the other morning.
Not ridden a new GS since I tried an LC GSA when they came out.
Must say I was very underwhelmed.It looked very plasticky,sat on it,was very rattly and felt a bit wheezy after my 1290.
The quickshifter was anything but quick.
I'm sure it's a great bike for doing a long trip on,if you just need to cover distance but I would rather take the train-at least you could read a book and have something to remember the journey by.
No wonder Nutty's Rallye is sat in a corner gathering dust.

I've come to the conclusion over the past few years that any assertion that bike A is better than bike B is completely subjective (unless bike B is an utter shitter).

I bought a Multistrada to replace my "boring" old GS (non-LC) and never really gelled with it (despite continuing to claim it was better, as much to convince myself as anyone else).

Tried the 2015 LC GS after the MTS was written off, expecting to love it, but didn't. Bought a 1200 RS instead, having decided it was utterly brilliant, but quickly fell out of love with it - nothing wrong with the bike, just didn't really float my boat after a few months of ownership.

I'm now on a Super ADV 1290S and I love it - it is close to the perfect bike for me at the moment.

But I know others who have the same history and ride the same roads at the same pace and are looking more and more like they will go down the Rallye route.

I have not tried a Rallye, and I don't intend to, as I don't want to fall for the new must be better syndrome and end up dissatisfied with my current P&J (sound familiar Arsey?).

A GS is not better or worse than a 1290, which in turn is not better or worse than a MTS, which in turn etc etc

It's about what you like when you test ride - simple as that.

I've come to the conclusion over the past few years that any assertion that bike A is better than bike B is completely subjective (unless bike B is an utter shitter).

I bought a Multistrada to replace my "boring" old GS (non-LC) and never really gelled with it (despite continuing to claim it was better, as much to convince myself as anyone else).

Tried the 2015 LC GS after the MTS was written off, expecting to love it, but didn't. Bought a 1200 RS instead, having decided it was utterly brilliant, but quickly fell out of love with it - nothing wrong with the bike, just didn't really float my boat after a few months of ownership.

I'm now on a Super ADV 1290S and I love it - it is close to the perfect bike for me at the moment.

But I know others who have the same history and ride the same roads at the same pace and are looking more and more like they will go down the Rallye route.

I have not tried a Rallye, and I don't intend to, as I don't want to fall for the new must be better syndrome and end up dissatisfied with my current P&J (sound familiar Arsey?).

A GS is not better or worse than a 1290, which in turn is not better or worse than a MTS, which in turn etc etc

It's about what you like when you test ride - simple as that.

Very true . The last bike I bought after a test tide was the MT10.
Most bikes I buy without testing, partly because local dealers don't often have many bikes on demo.
But if you buy a bike because it looks right, it normally is right ...

I rode my brother's Rallye the other morning.
Not ridden a new GS since I tried an LC GSA when they came out.
Must say I was very underwhelmed.It looked very plasticky,sat on it,was very rattly and felt a bit wheezy after my 1290.
The quickshifter was anything but quick.
I'm sure it's a great bike for doing a long trip on,if you just need to cover distance but I would rather take the train-at least you could read a book and have something to remember the journey by.
No wonder Nutty's Rallye is sat in a corner gathering dust.

Most bikes are plastic aren't they. Even the KTM.

Has your brothers bike been Hilltop'd?

I'd probably have a KTM in the garage but I can't seem to get my head around the pannier set-up - they look awful. Your black ones are the best I've seen but I much prefer the look and setup of the GSA. If they bring in the VVT engine on the GS and up the HP significantly I suspect the press will like it. I take what I want to from the press and ignore the rest. For years I've noticed whatever's new is best. Then they change their minds - Fireblade anyone? They'll get round issues with suspension/TC and the like and suddenly the Fireblade will be the best sportsbike on the planet....you heard it here first! So predictable.

As has been said, it's pointless saying one bike is better than another. Although there is actually only one winner in the Tuono - Superduke war and it's not the KTM. GRENADE!

Nutty took delivery of a Rallye and 1290S in the same week.

I wonder how mileages are comparing on each bike so far,ie which is the preferred bike ?

I have no idea,but he took the Rallye on the Norman Conquest (failed) and the 1290 to France so.......

Nutty took delivery of a Rallye and 1290S in the same week.

I wonder how mileages are comparing on each bike so far,ie which is the preferred bike ?

I have no idea,but he took the Rallye on the Norman Conquest (failed) and the 1290 to France so.......

I'm saying nothing.:D

The only way they make these other rides faster, engine to engine is simply the chain drive, but then you have all the niggles of rear wheel alignment etc and the wobbles, give me shaft driven anyday, and a little less speed keeps my driving license.

The only way they make these other rides faster, engine to engine is simply the chain drive, but then you have all the niggles of rear wheel alignment etc and the wobbles, give me shaft driven anyday, and a little less speed keeps my driving license.
Only if you can't count and I don't have any wobbles. Neither are my forks falling off or is it corroding into a pile of expensive dust.

Fair enough on the license part. If you are not observant enough to spot cameras or speed traps you shouldn't be speeding anyway ;-)

I like most bikes, some I've managed to ride others I'd love to.

The opinions of anyone else mean fuck all to me.

Dissing bikes whatever their faults is just willy waggling…..if they're long enough.:D

Yep agree owned more bikes than I can remember, and the last bike is always the best LOL, thats my excuse to change.

I have never regretted buying a new bike, and never gone and bought a model I had previously owned (well I had a ZX9R C model and later an E Model, but that is as close as I have come to owning the same model twice)

Very few bikes are truly shite these days, not much wrong with my 2008 GS (ignoring what "Went wrong") and I loved my Super Tenere despite it being slow and heavy - in many ways one of (if not the) best bike I ever owned taking into account how much I rode it, how long I kept it and how well it served me....

...can't see me keeping the 1190 for as long as I do not think it is as durable, but next on my list is probably a 1290 - unless I hot harder times and need a cheaper bike I can clock up 50,000+ miles on before replacing it in which case I would get another S10.

The BMW does not get a look in from me, not as exciting as the KTM, and nor as durable as the Yamaha, I guess for some an expensive dull bike is attractive and the GS fills that spot perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom