GS GDSA TFT Display

Pride of place goes to a huge rev-counter.................

Anyone actually consult the rev-counter, while riding?

No I just wait to hear the popping when it hits the limiter, I then know I have no more revs to play with.

Thing is on my 30 odd year old gsx1100 katana literally a 1/4 second glance at the clocks and you can tell your speed whether in mph or kmph, same as all analogue dial cars I have owned.
Best one was a grey import 400 bandit, analogue clocks with white dial faces and black lettering/numerals and red needles, absolutely instant recognition of speed and revs even in glaring sunlight.

Regarding Speed reading, on Nav 6 you can set it up to have it dispaled all the time on the sat nav very large, and toggle into next menu if you want to. or you can have 4 of large reading on the screen, goes back to my last post most of the info is sent to the Nav 6 all ready

Very pretty however I ride a motorcycle in order to 'disconnect' myself from the tyranny of petty things not to be ever more 'connected' - this is the very antithesis of the spirit of motorcycling - NOT GOOD!

Am I the only who can't understand why so many people find the current displays hard to read? Yes, the rev counter is partially hidden by the sat nav, but I've never had any problems working out how fast I am going. Analogue displays are easier to interpret quickly and I personally believe these overcomplicated man machine interfaces are detrimental to safety; they are becoming technology for technology's sake.

Am I the only who can't understand why so many people find the current displays hard to read? Yes, the rev counter is partially hidden by the sat nav, but I've never had any problems working out how fast I am going. Analogue displays are easier to interpret quickly and I personally believe these overcomplicated man machine interfaces are detrimental to safety; they are becoming technology for technology's sake.

I think the issue for me and many others is that although we may have good distance vision, we need reading glasses to see nearby objects clearly, or at least need longer than a quick glance to re-focus on nearby objects to the point when they become clearly legible - so if the design of the instruments requires very good near vision then this is obviously not terribly practical or even safe. So, given that the speedo crams a 240 km/h and 150 mph range into the circumference of a relatively small dial, it is not possible for me to take this in with a short glance and be absolutely sure what the reading is. This is particularly difficult for UK spec bikes when riding in Europe as the km/h scale has more divisions but is the smaller inner one, so is shorter in the first place, and has smaller digits. Given the increased likelihood of being done for speeding both in the UK and abroad it is quite important to be able to monitor your speed easily and quickly, and above all with reasonable accuracy, which analogue displays aren't great for.

I've solved the problem of the obscured rev counter by mounting my GPS on an extension bracket, which also allows a more upright angle for the screen which helps to reduce glare, and have solved the speedo problem by mounting a GPS driven flat panel speedo next to the GPS, and this can be swapped between mph and km/h at the press of a button. The revised GPS mounting also makes it easier for me to see my speed, and the current speed limit on the satnav screen.

I totally agree with the comments on the over complicated interfaces manufacturers are coming up with. It is of course only my opinion, but I think facilities for scrolling through contact lists, or even voice control for making and taking phone calls should have no place on a motorcycle. I don't listen to music either as when I am fully concentrating on riding, as I should be, I wouldn't even notice it anyway, but I'm sure that in some situations it could be a distraction.

I can understand the issue with glasses, and we don't need such a wide speed range on the GS which also makes things harder. But most bikes seem to have similar displays, so I'm not sure it's just a GS thing. I use a Zumo 660 so don't have the luxury of Nav V or VI displays. Your mods make a lot of sense for you and others.
Dare I say it's the younger generation who want all this smartphone compatibility ? I am quite certain the obvious distractions these integrated displays can offer will lead to problems. Someone will call me a Luddite, I am sure, but I most certainly am not!

I can understand the issue with glasses, and we don't need such a wide speed range on the GS which also makes things harder. But most bikes seem to have similar displays, so I'm not sure it's just a GS thing. I use a Zumo 660 so don't have the luxury of Nav V or VI displays. Your mods make a lot of sense for you and others.
Dare I say it's the younger generation who want all this smartphone compatibility ? I am quite certain the obvious distractions these integrated displays can offer will lead to problems. Someone will call me a Luddite, I am sure, but I most certainly am not!

Yes, it's bad enough that half the car drivers out there seem to be on their mobile phones - and the ability to mirror the phone display to a panel in the car and support voice control doesn't do anything to discourage this, quite the reverse, nor make it any less distracting as far as I can see. I believe studies have found that even using hands free phones is equivalent to being over the drink drive limit. Introducing the same distractions to what most will agree is the more demanding environment of piloting a two wheeled vehicle, seems to make no sense, and I don't understand where the demand for this is coming from.

I think the design issue creeps in when the pretty clear kph dial gets dual mph/kph graduations for the UK market and becomes overly fussy. It is, of course, exacerbated by the average pilot's optical prescription!

I think the design issue creeps in when the pretty clear kph dial gets dual mph/kph graduations for the UK market and becomes overly fussy. It is, of course, exacerbated by the average pilot's optical prescription!

I went to order a new GSA TE. New bikes ordered now won't have TFT. It will become available later in the year, so I'm waiting.
Bluetooth is an open system so although BMW specifically mention their comms and helmet system, I'm hoping my Sena will work with it.
The Navigation can be either with a Navigator for pre-planned complex routes, or with a smartphone (iPhone was the one demonstrated), but using the free BMW app from the App Store or Android Play.

It is the future so no point moaning about it. All BMW models are going to use this type of screens. They may have "themes", so there might be some design choices and it should have simple things like instantly reading KmPH etc.

No doubt Mr Hooton will be selling me an anti-scroat guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically its Steve Jobs selling the latest Macbook Pro, every 2 years he has to do something, will it be a big plus, not for me, a bike is to ride, computer stays at home, thats why I just bought the 2017 model, and Nav6 enough gadgets on the bike now, now I am doing what the bike is designed for and that is riding the hell out of it.

I would have liked this tech on my bike, but I'm also glad I bought my GSA Triple Black in March as had a great time riding it.

Happy to wait now for a big jump forward, and then let it be tested.

Thinking about this, I realised that I never look at the speedo or rev counter at all. I have my speed displayed either on the dashboard that overlays the map on my Nav 5 or have it displayed full size down to a quarter size window on the Nav 5.

Much much quicker to assimilate the info.

just had an email today from BMW about the new dash, looks good.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/e...onnectivity.html?dm_i=3WGI,9V06,1G9TSP,ZTHQ,1

Will the first person to get one let us know what it is like?

I see it is a £595 option, does this make the Navigator redundant? or will you need both? anyone know out there?

Lastly is it a retro fit?

so many questions......

It does not replace the Navigator unless you are happy with just arrows (no map display) and don't want to pre-plan and store routes, and to do even this limited navigation will need a smartphone paired to it running the BMW app. Otherwise you will still need the BMW/Garmin Navigator. Apparently the multi-controller wheel will be able to have its focus switched between controlling the new TFT display and controlling a Navigator, if one is fitted, but I don't know how that will be arranged.

I think the chances of it being retrofittable to bikes built before the TFT introduction is approximately zero. I guess later bikes bought with the old dials in preference to the optional TFT may be retrofittable, no doubt at vast expense.

Fred

It was given as being available as an option when I ordered my bike (2018 model) ie from the September 2017 production run, dealer reckons it will not be available as retrofit on bikes from earlier production runs.

P.S decided against it

I kind of agree and empathise with your post. But, the new dispalys are cheaper to make. No moving parts means greater reliability too. The bright colour ones are better in sunlight than analogue dials. (as Tropps says above, they look better too!)

Its the future.

GS/GSA clocks are badly designed especially the older ones which have the stupid band around the inner edge, combined with the highly reflective glass and the highly compressed numerals they are difficult to read and assimilate quickly at a glance .

take a look at the other clocks which have the numerals around the outer edge and are on a plain single colour background, they can be seen quickly and read at the slightest glance

Attachments

• bmw speedo 2.jpg
    bmw speedo 2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 327
  • bmw speedo 1.jpg
    bmw speedo 1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 329
  • bmw clocks 6.jpg
    bmw clocks 6.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 303

Back
Top Bottom