Flip front helmets and Sena SMH10

Dirty Ming

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm after another helmet as my current Nolan flip front, whilst excellent in every other respect, isn't capable of taking the Sena SMH10 using the supplied clamp. I've had to use an adhesive to attempt to stick the unit to the helmet as the supplied sticky pads aren't up to the job, possibly due to the curve of the lid.

I have an HJC for the wife and can use the clamp on that one, but I don't like the way the drop down sun visor is operated by a slide on the top of the helmet. The Nolan uses one on the side - very easy. It's deep, the chin curtain doesn't get in the way and it's pretty quiet. It's just that the Sena unit looks like it's going to come away from the lid any time soon.

So, spent some time searching today.

Shoei Neotec - not bad fit, but my head is better suited to an Arai and they're about the only manufacturer that doesn't do a flip front!

Shark, AGV - tried both and neither fitted

X-Lite Carbon - nice lid, very light (basically a re-badged Nolan) but the padded surround around the base is sealed to the shell and so you can't get the clamp in there!

Schuberth - has the same wide rim at the bottom that is a curse on the Nolan. You can get their own intercom system which is an updated version of the Sena SMH10 and so should be compatible with others but I don't really want to have to spend another £250 on top of a £400 helmet for something I've already got

Does anyone have any suggestions of something I've missed? I remember Caberg being one of the early makers of flip fronts when they first came out but can't find anyone locally that stocks them. If I can't find anything better I'll stick with the Nolan and try a different adhesive that doesn't attack the shell of the lid, of course.

I just got a Laser Monaco Evo to replace my Neotec. Works fine with the Sena.

I thought I'd miss the sun visor of the Shoei, but I don't as the Laser visor is a Transitions lens. I've put 2k miles on the bike in the last month in all weather and the visor is always just the right darkness.

It's comfortable, cheaper than the Shoei and much better ventilated.

Like the Shoei, you can get different size cheek and top pads if the fit isn't quite right.

I'm looking at changing the neotech to the Shark evo not sure on the SMH fitting but I do know the 10R fits as my friends use this set up..Different manufacturers have different shapes and sizes,,,try a larger size in another brand see if it differs

Scorpion do a range of lids with a flip front, been using one for a while and really like it. Good ventilation and has a drop down tinted visor you operate with a slide on the side. Not sure how it will work with the sena though

You did say AGV doesn't fit, but FWIW my SMH-5 clamps well on the side of my AGV Compact.

20170708_230526-1.jpg

20170708_230545-1.jpg

I just got a Laser Monaco Evo to replace my Neotec. Works fine with the Sena.

I thought I'd miss the sun visor of the Shoei, but I don't as the Laser visor is a Transitions lens. I've put 2k miles on the bike in the last month in all weather and the visor is always just the right darkness.

It's comfortable, cheaper than the Shoei and much better ventilated.

Like the Shoei, you can get different size cheek and top pads if the fit isn't quite right.

I like the look of that, as well as the idea of the photochromatic visor, but I spend 50% of the time with the whole of the front flipped up and would have no tinted eye protection. I could wear shades but then when the front is dropped down I'd have double darkness! Shame - if it had a drop down sun visor as well you'd have a choice.

I'm looking at changing the neotech to the Shark evo not sure on the SMH fitting but I do know the 10R fits as my friends use this set up..Different manufacturers have different shapes and sizes,,,try a larger size in another brand see if it differs

Tried the Shark Evo and either a medium or large with larger cheek pads didn't fit. It's the length of the shell that's the problem - I think I have a long face (if you'd seen my domestic life you'd see why.....) and my chin isn't covered by the lid when it's in full face mode. AGV gives me the same problem.

Scorpion do a range of lids with a flip front, been using one for a while and really like it. Good ventilation and has a drop down tinted visor you operate with a slide on the side. Not sure how it will work with the sena though

Not heard of them before. Will try to find a dealer locally, as well as a Caberg one. I know BMW do their own branded lids but they are they a Schuberth under a different name?

I have an SMH10 fitted to my Shark Evoline helmet and my Nolan N44 helmets, both required "slight modification" to fit the clamp unit.

Can be made to fit.........

Had a sena stuck with the enclosed velcro sticky patches to both a BMW system and now a Schuberth c3 pro without issue.

Had a sena stuck with the enclosed velcro sticky patches to both a BMW system and now a Schuberth c3 pro without issue.

Maybe it's the Nolan being "extra curvy" - the standard sticky pad lasted about 2 weeks before coming adrift and the adhesive I've since used has needed re-doing twice in 18 months and now looks like it's had it. I think part of the problem may be because the helmet comes ready for Nolan's own intercom system and there's a blanking plug on the left you have to remove as it sits proud of the helmet. Once removed, there's less surface area for the Sena to stick to.

I've done some more searching and found that Givi do an X-08 flip front with drop down visor out of the way of the Sena and it looks like it has a thin base so the clamp may work. Going to Bristol next weekend and JTS have a store there that says it sells Givi helmets so will try it out. I do like the look of the Dexter Adron Carbon but again not sure if the base is too thick for a clamp. Sportsbikeshop offer free returns so may also try that option.

Thanks for the input

I like the look of that, as well as the idea of the photochromatic visor, but I spend 50% of the time with the whole of the front flipped up and would have no tinted eye protection. I could wear shades but then when the front is dropped down I'd have double darkness! Shame - if it had a drop down sun visor as well you'd have a choice.
I had an identical thought process and initially ruled out any helmet without a sun visor.

I can honestly say that, even in the recent high temperatures, the excellent ventilation on the Monaco Evo has meant that at no time have I regretted buying it, nor felt the need to ride with the visor open.

I had an identical thought process and initially ruled out any helmet without a sun visor.

I can honestly say that, even in the recent high temperatures, the excellent ventilation on the Monaco Evo has meant that at no time have I regretted buying it, nor felt the need to ride with the visor open.

Ahh - didn't explain myself properly. I need to drink very regularly, so have a hydration pack always with me. Any time I'm in a 30 or 40 zone, the front goes up and I take a drink. I find it's also better for visibility at slower speeds, only dropping the front down going into national speed limits, as the wind noise around the microphone makes it bloody awful for the other guys in the group to listen to!

Ahh - didn't explain myself properly. I need to drink very regularly, so have a hydration pack always with me. Any time I'm in a 30 or 40 zone, the front goes up and I take a drink. I find it's also better for visibility at slower speeds, only dropping the front down going into national speed limits, as the wind noise around the microphone makes it bloody awful for the other guys in the group to listen to!
That makes more sense. With the Shoei I tended to ride visor open and sun visor down up to about 40 to 50 mph.

Back
Top Bottom