Troubled gs part 2

strokeofgenius

Reaction score
Hello again,after recent electrical trouble my 2001 1150 gs performed faultlessly ,for nearly 60 miles.I was moving along nicely at around the ton when it lost all drive.I was in 6th at time and freewheeled for nearly a mile as I just wanted to get as near home as possible.There is a bit of noise from gearbox clutch area.All gears will engage but there's no drive at all.I thought the shaftdrive had failed but the noise from clutch area has me doubting this.The previous owner claims to have replaced clutch and gearbox but he didn't look like much of a mechanic so I'm wondering if he left something loose inside.Any ideas on likeliest failure ?.The clutch looks like a right bastard to access.

Sounds very much like the gearbox output shaft to clutch splines has failed. Exactly the symptoms you mention. Happened to me as well, on my old 850. And yes, the clutch is a bastard to get to, but doable if you're methodical and have space and time.

Thanks Jon.I guess the search for a decent mechanic begins,I really don't like the look of stripping this gearbox.

If you are lucky, as I once was, it could just be stripped splines on the clutch plate. It is certainly worth taking off the gearbox and having a look before going to mechanics!

Regards.

Finally got a good man to strip this bike and you were all right,the gearbox shafts splines were goosed as well as clutch friction plate disintegration.Before I order any parts on motorworks site they have a gearbox input shafts for £175,is this the proper part as the pictures aren't very clear.Also do ye think it wise to replace all clutch parts ie pressure plate and spring as well as the damaged friction plate and finally is the longer splined friction plate worth the extra few pounds.

Finally got a good man to strip this bike and you were all right,the gearbox shafts splines were goosed as well as clutch friction plate disintegration.Before I order any parts on motorworks site they have a gearbox input shafts for £175,is this the proper part as the pictures aren't very clear.Also do ye think it wise to replace all clutch parts ie pressure plate and spring as well as the damaged friction plate and finally is the longer splined friction plate worth the extra few pounds.

Yes, you might as well change the other clutch bits while it's all apart. The big cost of a clutch change is labour, so while it's all in bits it makes sense to change the lot.

thanks lads the parts so far seem to be about £450,the only bit I'm not sure of is the worn gearbox spline I 'll ring motorworks in morning,they have a "bare gearbox "shaft on their site which looks similiar but I can't be sure.

All parts ordered from motorworks.Turns out gearbox was only replaced in January of this year with a 2nd hand unit from motorworks which had a 6 months parts warranty which has obviously expired and only applied to previous owner.So shit out of luck for me.This was supposed to be my cheap summer reliable workhorse,instead it has been broken down with one ailment or the other while I ve been trashing around on my old smoky but reliable rd350 and rd500.Teutonic efficiency my arse.thank you all for your help & have a great weekend, I'm going for pints now.

Back
Top Bottom