Sportster 48 v Dyna Low rider

samsgs

Reaction score
I am new to the Harley thing but while the 883 is fun, its a little slow off the line.

I have tried a 48 and quite liked it and its seems a bit of a natural progression from the 883. However a dyna was mentioned in the same breath and I quite like the pics dibdob69 posted.

Yes I know do a test ride, but I wanted to hear the experience of others before all that.

I guess I could do the 1200 conversion but by the time I do that, get wide glide forks etc I may as well get the 48 or the dyna (which I know is not quite the same as a 48 but has the bigger engine).

I use the bike as a toy and the most I ride is about 160 miles a day. I have only ever toured once in about 15 years, so its seems unlikely at the moment. Hardly any commuting (into London) and I try and avoid motorways, dual carriageways etc.

I get the dyna costs more, bigger engine etc, but what does it gain/ lose in feel, fun, enjoyment compared to the 48?

thanks

I've had a Dyna Wide Glide for a while now and up till recently also had a Sportster 883 Iron. The 883 does lack a bit of power and torque compared to the 1200 engined 48 so if you where getting a Sporty I'd suggest that the 48 was the better bike. The engine is lovely and smooth and is bullet proof.

The Sportsters look great but if your over 6 foot tall a Dyna might be more comfortable plus the big twin engine is just more manly (IHMO :D). The main reason I sold the 883 was at 6 2" I found that it could get rather uncomfortable on longer rides.

So my advice to you would be that if your over 6 foot tall get the Dyna. :)

Street Bob is the answer - or the 48 - ride em back to back...

The FXDX (Super glide Sport) is worth a look. I love mine.

The FXDX has fully adjustable suspension front and back. Triple disks and a sportier head angle on the frame so handles and stops a bit sharper than the single disk custom framed bikes. Puts out around 20 BHP more than a standard 1200 sportster. I was expecting to wait months to find one only to have Twizzle find the one I bought within 20 minutes of me asking.

They have mid mounted footpegs as standard but some people, including me, find them very uncomfortable.

Years ago I had a 1200 Sportster that I bought new. Loved it to bits and put 16k on it the first year I owned it. The dyna is a meatier beast. Photo from yesterday. I put 200 miles on it. Cant get enough of it!

Attachments

• FXDX.jpg
    FXDX.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 598
Thanks all. I am just under 6ft so should be fine with regards to size.

I get the FXDX is the pre Dyna family and probably better in terms of power and handling, its just that I really like the fat front end. Street Bob is the bigger engine of that, but part of me likes the simplicity of the 48 and that the budget will buy be mag wheels (I don't like tubed wheels and am not really sure why) and abs (the latter isn't that important as its really a 3 season bike and I don't plan on much wet riding).

I am also erring on the 48 simply because I saw one last night with a flatter, rounder 4.5gallon tank which looked sublime.

48 it is then... popular bikes, so no trouble shifting on when ready!!!

I tried the Dyna out, as I really wanted a street bob, but couldn't get on with the vibes. Ended up test riding ah Sportster 72 instead, and buying it. Much preferred it.

All Street Bob's have rubber (silicone) mounted handlebars.

If you are tall Dyna is the way to go, but make sure you get a true track or sputhe stabiliser system on the ride straight away, them front rubber engine mounts collapse quickly, or just change out the front mount for a predator mount with integrated stabiler, you will not regret it.

Well a slight update. Dyna would be much older and therefore is out.

Tried the 48 but was not thrilled about the riding position as it fixes me in one position. Also touches done quickly

So I tried the roadster, nicer suspension but if you want to bimble it doesn't quite work.

What I want is something like what Rob F posted but in a sportster package, an updated 883r. I suspect it can be done but not with my budget!

What I want is something like what Rob F posted but in a sportster package, an updated 883r. I suspect it can be done but not with my budget!

You could fit a dyna tank to a sportster. You will always have the high seat height in relation to the swinging arm on a sporty though. even fitting lower shocks wont change things - you'll just be a wannabe dyna rider though :D

images

Dyna...resistance is futile!

attachment.php

I know its heresy, but I wonder if a R9T will scratch the itch as a summer bike and the sportster for winter joy?

I know its heresy, but I wonder if a R9T will scratch the itch as a summer bike and the sportster for winter joy?

I doubt it. small children will point in the street and everybody will laugh at you for riding such a comedy bike.

I doubt it. small children will point in the street and everybody will laugh at you for riding such a comedy bike.

I dont think its the bike, everyone points and laughs at me for riding lol

They certainly point and laugh at me whilst I'm on mine....

From my own experience from a few years back, modifying a Harley to be just how you want it is a very expensive game with minimal reward.

I spent more than the list price of my 883 on the parts for a full 1200 SE conversion with SE heads, cams, carb, ignition etc, then front suspension and brakes from the Sport, Progressive rear, Harley forward controls, instruments, leather luggage, seat & sissy, screen etc and even a Harley cowbell horn. It was then just how I wanted it but due to the size constraints, not actually any good for when I wanted the other half on the back. I eventually sold it for little more than a used 883 was worth.

Hindsight taught me that if I'd spent the same money on trading up to a Dyna, I'd have got most of it back later.

I'm now looking to do the Harley thing again, but the lesson I've learnt is to get one as near as possible to the spec that you want to minimise additional spend, and it's a lot easier (& cheaper) to make a Dyna or a Softail fit a smaller person than make a Sportster fit a larger person.

Back
Top Bottom