Disappointed with my GS

Thanks to you all for the responses , just to clarify a few points;

I always ride in Dynamic mode as the Road setting seems a bit bland and the comments about the warm weather has probably made me notice the heat rising.
Regarding getting the bike into Hilltop , this would seem to be a good idea and something that I will investigate, but the overall opinion is to stick with it and get use to the characteristics of the Beemer rather than bail out now.
So that's what I'm going to do , I've got a 10 day trip booked in Northern Spain at the end of August and hopefully this will confirm how good the bike is.
Once again thanks for the input and suggestions,
Cheers
Livo.

I also had the 1190 and swapped for a 2016 GSA.
I used to ride the 1190 at much higher revs, and it flew, but I was always riding at 100% and found myself getting knackered mentally and defnately flirting with the law. Something had to give.
I ride the BM very differently. Use the torque more and the revs less, still going deceivingly quickly, but I am more relaxed . I also find it much better at cutting through wind and rain and traffic.
Also the KTM was much hotter even with the heat shield mod so I don't understand how you find the BM hotter.
In fact in reality the only think I preferred on the KTM was the standing position when off road, the narrower tank really felt better for that.

Either way I think the BM will grow on you, it takes a bit of time.

Enjoy

Stopped twice in the last two days on mine to check the oil and water as it is soundimg like a bag of hammers,
now has 12,000 miles on the clock and had its last service carried out last September at 11,000.
Unlike my 1150 and my 1200tc which got smoother as the miles got over 10,000 this one is becoming rougher and rattlier as it does more miles

Guys.
I know I'm going to get loads of stick for this post ,but its kind of how I feel;
I recently swapped my KTM 1190 for a New 2017 TE or is it a 2016.5 (I'm not sure) in March this year and whilst I was running it in , it was ok , but now it's time to let her go and to be honest it's a bit sluggish , it handles great and it's got all the right bits with it ( ESA etc.,) however recently my right leg/thigh area is getting hot, almost uncomfortable and the engine is very noisy at certain revs/speeds (this may be because I'd fitted a larger screen and his is amplifying the noise ,don't know).

I've never been a quick rider (in the sports bike sense) , but I do find the lack of go ,compared to the KTM a little annoying and I've actually been considering trading it for a New 1290 KTM (but I'd take a massive hit on depreciation).
Sorry for the ramblings above but I've now done circa 1700 miles and I just wonder if the bike will improve or is this as good as it gets ?
Any thoughts.
Cheers
Livo.

Never heard anyone say a GS runs hot. It's the coolest running bike I have ever owned out of the 20 odd bikes in the last 26 years. Now the KTM 1190 and 1290 are known for running hot under the seat.

Power drop... my last bike was a new 2015 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance Sport with 205 BHP.

Now thats a power drop.

Power drop... my last bike was a new 2015 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance Sport with 205 BHP.

Now thats a power drop.

Would be interested to know why the drastic switch?

I have come from a DVT Multi, to a 2017 TE and yes it is slower, especially at the initial twist of the throttle, I am riding it slightly different, more timing and run up on over takes, but do miss that surge from the Multi for sure, as for the TE it has advantages over the Multi in other areas for me.
I keep hearing about Hill Top, so just a remap, can BMW detect it, and would it have warranty issues? if BMW modify ECU does the hill top map get over written?

I keep hearing about Hill Top, so just a remap, can BMW detect it, and would it have warranty issues? if BMW modify ECU does the hill top map get over written?
Those are very interesting questions which I believe have been asked and answered many times at great length and in enormous detail. Yet still, opinions differ. Do a search and set aside a couple of days to read the resulting threads. Or, pretend you didn't ask and have a happy life instead.
Alan R

The only things I dislike with the GSA is that the triple black GS gets gel seats whereas the GSA doesn't. The clocks are shit, it 100% needs an extra gear, maybe two, the heated grips need more than two stages and even with my bike running a full akra system and hilltop I want it the acceleration to be more rapid. Not too much more, but a bit. Maybe they will make a 1400 boxer? Overall good bike but expected a bit more considering how much it is once you add all the toys, odds and sods.

The clocks are shit, it 100% needs an extra gear, maybe two, the heated grips need more than two stages.

Mine's a GS, but I agree with most of that, though I think with the grunt available from the engine the problem is with the ratios chosen, not so much the number of gears. Seems to be too big a gap between 1st and 2nd so during slow on road maneuvers you are either revving hard in 1st or bogging down in 2nd and having to slip the clutch. I only use my bike for touring, but I guess the low 1st gear is aimed at off-roading. If that's the case, I think they could have made 2nd a little lower geared to reduce the gap to 1st and make it more useful on road. I feel the engine has enough torque to spread the higher gears a little further apart to compensate without necessarily needing an extra ratio or two.

im not experiencing any flat spots or anything with my 6week old rallyee ,it got 4.5 k up it now and super grunty:green gri, ( compared to my 05 that is).:thumby:

I want extra gears for motorway riding. I have a GSA and did a touch over 200 miles on a tank. Try cruise at ~100 and see where that rev needle is. I have a BMW 1 series and that has 8 forward gears specifically for motorway cruising to keep the consumption down.

I agree it does need another gear for motorway high speed cruising, it revs far higher in 6th. than my multi does.

I want extra gears for motorway riding. I have a GSA and did a touch over 200 miles on a tank. Try cruise at ~100 and see where that rev needle is. I have a BMW 1 series and that has 8 forward gears specifically for motorway cruising to keep the consumption down.

Simples - stay off motorways with your bike.

Yep, but thats an auto! ( talk about apples and oranges ?)

I dont think you will find anyone who wants to change up/down through 8 gears manually on their bike?

I agree it does need another gear for motorway high speed cruising, it revs far higher in 6th. than my multi does.

Maybe it just needs a higher overdrive 6th gear ratio for high speed cruising. The other ratios might have to spread a little wider to compensate, but I guess that wouldn't please those who want more acceleration, which is generally improved by closer ratios, though I would have thought not really needed on large high torque motors with a fairly wide and flat powerband. I'm not convinced more ratios are desirable, as apart from needing a major gearbox re-design, the more gears you have in a sequential gearbox the more tedious it can become continually going up and down the gears in some situations.

its not really a dedicated touring bike is it? I believe the RT has higher 6th gear?

Well the GS is supposed to be an all rounder, and it's not as if 6th gear is likely to be useful off-road, so they may as well make it more suitable for high speed road use.

Back
Top Bottom