Disappointed with my GS

Apparently it isn't a rugged off road adventure bike either so WTF is it ?

It's a Mid-Life Crisis Sorry Mate I Didn't See You Cash Cow

Or... a very versatile work horse

Guys.
I know I'm going to get loads of stick for this post ,but its kind of how I feel;
I recently swapped my KTM 1190 for a New 2017 TE or is it a 2016.5 (I'm not sure) in March this year and whilst I was running it in , it was ok , but now it's time to let her go and to be honest it's a bit sluggish , it handles great and it's got all the right bits with it ( ESA etc.,) however recently my right leg/thigh area is getting hot, almost uncomfortable and the engine is very noisy at certain revs/speeds (this may be because I'd fitted a larger screen and his is amplifying the noise ,don't know).

I've never been a quick rider (in the sports bike sense) , but I do find the lack of go ,compared to the KTM a little annoying and I've actually been considering trading it for a New 1290 KTM (but I'd take a massive hit on depreciation).
Sorry for the ramblings above but I've now done circa 1700 miles and I just wonder if the bike will improve or is this as good as it gets ?
Any thoughts.
Cheers
Livo.

It is a slow and uninspiring engine in an ooomph way. The trick here like others have said is to defocus from ooomph and top end and focus on the overall package, tractability and the fact that one can ride it at 9/10s and feel like a hero, whereas nobody can ride 150hp at 9/10s on the road really...

Saying that, some people, do love engines and oomph more than the overall bike ( I m one), in which case you need to either sell on (it won't go any faster in the future) or enjoy for what it is and have a second (or sixth) bike to do what you want.

On the LC boxers, I bought my first one last year ( previously had other GSs and currently also run an ancient r1150r for commuting) and comparing it back to back with the older boxer, although smoother and gearbox is on another level altogether, I have to admit I find the 40hp difference (between 1150r and LC) slightly underwhelming too.. yes there is more top end, but its all a bit flat... I mean if the 1150r is at 85hp and my vfr12 is at 160, riding all three back to back, one would put the GSA LC at 100-105hp. Perhaps its not fully opened up yet as it has less than 1k on the clock... anyway, horses for courses... they are wonderful bikes (the GSs) when given time. Most multitalented bikes ever built in history of all that moves. But if you need screaming top ends and heart in mouth moments, you need something else...

On a related theme but possibly taking this thread off topic, I find there are scenarios in which the power delivery of the GS is a little bit frustrating in the way it delivers it second kick at 6K, such as when doing a short overtake. I get past the offending vehicle (usually a Honda), start pulling inside, ready to position and have the speed constant for the upcoming bend, when I get the shove in the back.

I'm curious as to why the characteristics of the boxer mean that this power curve exists - I assume that otherwise BMW would have tried to make it more linear.

Don't mean to labour the point but if you guys had come through the early sixties the bikes now are light years away from what my friends and I rode then. Hey we still did long trips and also used them for daily trans. I've had a collection since then and for all the ups and downs most modern bikes are great. If only my vstrom had had better suspension I would have stuck to that though.

On a related theme but possibly taking this thread off topic, I find there are scenarios in which the power delivery of the GS is a little bit frustrating in the way it delivers it second kick at 6K, such as when doing a short overtake. I get past the offending vehicle (usually a Honda), start pulling inside, ready to position and have the speed constant for the upcoming bend, when I get the shove in the back.

I'm curious as to why the characteristics of the boxer mean that this power curve exists - I assume that otherwise BMW would have tried to make it more linear.
Can't say I have really noticed that - perhaps I don't get mine over 6000 rpm enough! However, I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad as the Honda 800 VTEC I once owned. That was pretty boring up to 6500 and then went completely bonkers.

I swapped from a 2006 K1200S to a 2009 GS MU and found it really boring, so after a couple of years I bought a 2012 RT for two-up touring, before eventually buying a 2014 GS LC.

I find the GS LC just fast enough to be fun, but not too fast to risk my licence too much....my K used to hit 150+ two-up without really trying and there are far too many scamera vans in North Yorks and Cumbria nowadays :eek:

I'm not sure I'd have the the GS LC fast enough if I'd have bought it straight after the K though. I think I needed a few years on slower bikes to readjust my sense of speed :p

In terms of 'speed' and power delivery, my thoughts are that to a certain extent you want to have a think about what sort of riding you do, what sort of roads you enjoy, and where you're likely to play.

Whilst of course, what ever you get is going to be a mode of transport that should take you where every you want, there is a good chance that you'll still favour a particular genre of riding.

Quite a few years ago I sort of left the very quick A roads behind. It was all getting quicker and quicker and I didn't want to loose my licence / job. But in those days, to cater for that sort of style of riding then yes, I'd be on K12's, Blackbirds, Gixxer thousands etc etc. Those bikes have huge smooth power trains. They're ideally suited to those long sweeping B500 roads where constant 120's, 130's are where the bike's in its perfect environment.

My playground is now very much the back B road scene where that the buzz of riding a bike quite quickly is not likely to see you loosing your licence. Would the K12's and Gixxer thousands play just as well on these back roads? Sure they'll do them, and they'll do them pretty well, but it's not their natural environment and they certainly won't do them as easily, and they won't be as much fun as something like ... errr ... say a KTM 990SMT or even a GS.

So there's a bit of horses for courses here.

The GS has a cracking power delivery for those more nadgery B roads. It's instant grunt, it's instant shut off and deceleration, and of course its telelever front end, make it very very good in that particular environment.
Put it on the B500 with the Gixxers and the K12's ? Then it's going to feel inadequate and hard work.

Do I want to retire and tour for months on end with my other half? I'd probably go and buy an RT .. Do I want to have a play thing for an hour or two at the most, down on the kent Marsh ? I'll get a 690 SMC. If my missus hangs up her touring bots and tells me I can be utterly selfish and get what i like 'cos she's out ..... umm .... 1290 GT ?

So Livo .... think about the environment that you mostly ride in, and choose a bike that will slot well into that environment. Comparing one style with another is like comparing a 5 series 330 estate with a modern Hot Hatch.

Can't say I have really noticed that - perhaps I don't get mine over 6000 rpm enough! However, I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad as the Honda 800 VTEC I once owned. That was pretty boring up to 6500 and then went completely bonkers.

Actually I do now remember one incident in the early days of owning the GS where I had to accelerate hard to make an overtake, and then found I was closing too quickly for comfort on the next car which I couldn't overtake due to a bend coming up. Possibly that was partly due to a second kick, and was a little scary, but I just put it down to not closing the throttle quickly enough, and I make sure I do that now as I'm pulling back in, or even before. On a bike you can generate so much excess speed so quickly over the vehicle you are overtaking that it can be job done, back off the throttle, before you even start to pull back in.

As a general rule, shut off when you're alongside, and you'll probably float in and not have to touch the brakes .. :thumb2

I have had complaints about my bike, power was not one.
Shut off the electronic nannys on the bike, and then ride it. 90% of all power cuts come from the traction control.
With my nannys shut off the bike lifts the front wheel at 1/4 throttle in first gear.

Latest Update.
Bike is booked in with Hilltop next Thursday , so lets see what the outcome is.
Regarding earlier comments about not knowing what I was buying and specifications (BHP etc.) ,I did have a test ride (45mins) ,but that's not like living with the bike.
I bought it because I've always wanted a GS and this year I had the opportunity to get one , so I did and it is a great all round bike ,I just found it very different from the KTM , so I'm going to put a few thousand miles on it and enjoy it.
Thanks for all the feed back and suggestions.
cheers
Livo.

I find the GS LC just fast enough to be fun, but not too fast to risk my licence too much....

That's what I like about the GS; you can give it the full beans, and it won't be doing prison speeds. It's plenty quick enough for most riders, and most situations.

That's what I like about the GS; you can give it the full beans, and it won't be doing prison speeds. It's plenty quick enough for most riders, and most situations.

+1 on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of 'speed' and power delivery, my thoughts are that to a certain extent you want to have a think about what sort of riding you do, what sort of roads you enjoy, and where you're likely to play.

Whilst of course, what ever you get is going to be a mode of transport that should take you where every you want, there is a good chance that you'll still favour a particular genre of riding.

Quite a few years ago I sort of left the very quick A roads behind. It was all getting quicker and quicker and I didn't want to loose my licence / job. But in those days, to cater for that sort of style of riding then yes, I'd be on K12's, Blackbirds, Gixxer thousands etc etc. Those bikes have huge smooth power trains. They're ideally suited to those long sweeping B500 roads where constant 120's, 130's are where the bike's in its perfect environment.

My playground is now very much the back B road scene where that the buzz of riding a bike quite quickly is not likely to see you loosing your licence. Would the K12's and Gixxer thousands play just as well on these back roads? Sure they'll do them, and they'll do them pretty well, but it's not their natural environment and they certainly won't do them as easily, and they won't be as much fun as something like ... errr ... say a KTM 990SMT or even a GS.

The GS has a cracking power delivery for those more nadgery B roads. It's instant grunt, it's instant shut off and deceleration, and of course its telelever front end, make it very very good in that particular environment.
Put it on the B500 with the Gixxers and the K12's ? Then it's going to feel inadequate and hard work.

Do I want to retire and tour for months on end with my other half? I'd probably go and buy an RT .. Do I want to have a play thing for an hour or two at the most, down on the kent Marsh ? I'll get a 690 SMC. If my missus hangs up her touring bots and tells me I can be utterly selfish and get what i like 'cos she's out ..... umm .... 1290 GT ?

So Livo .... think about the environment that you mostly ride in, and choose a bike that will slot well into that environment. Comparing one style with another is like comparing a 5 series 330 estate with a modern Hot Hatch.

Very true, it isn't all about what you got, it is knowing when, where and how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Triumph Street Scrambler - I'd convinced myself that 55 bhp was enough...it isn't. I traded it for a BMW Scrambler X - the 110 published BHP and stronger torque suits me better. It's my 5th Boxer - glad to be back after a little trip away!

To be fair to the BMW dealer they got me a good price which softened the blow - I decided it was better to get it over and done with.

Nice looking bike! The bars look quite wide? What's it like full lock in tight spaces?

You have nailed exactly how I feel about motorcycling 👍

Back
Top Bottom