Disappointed with my GS

You've gone from a KTM 1190 to a GS which is probably the wrong way round, the GS does everything pretty well and really comes in to its own whilst touring but it doesn't do anything really outstanding.
From a weekend toy perspective they are dull and uninspiring, a re-map may sharpen it up but why should you have to change something that will cancel your warranty.
The GS is a quirky bike and will always have its fan base but if you want excitement then you are going to have to look at something else.

I changed from the KTM because I wanted to try a GS and see for myself why its the top selling bike (everybody can't be wrong) and my only issue is the lack of response mid range at overtakes etc. Regarding the Hilltop/Warranty issue as I understand it , the Hilltop remap doesn't invalidate the Warranty ( apparently can't be detected by BMW) , however I do take your point ,that why should I have to pay for an upgrade when the bike should be like that out of the box, but I guess that's Euro 4 .So lets see what happens !
Cheers Livo.

I changed from the KTM because I wanted to try a GS and see for myself why its the top selling bike (everybody can't be wrong) and my only issue is the lack of response mid range at overtakes etc. Regarding the Hilltop/Warranty issue as I understand it , the Hilltop remap doesn't invalidate the Warranty ( apparently can't be detected by BMW) , however I do take your point ,that why should I have to pay for an upgrade when the bike should be like that out of the box, but I guess that's Euro 4 .So lets see what happens !
Cheers Livo.

EURO 4 is definitely to blame for suppressed performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Update.
Bike is booked in with Hilltop next Thursday , so lets see what the outcome is.
Regarding earlier comments about not knowing what I was buying and specifications (BHP etc.) ,I did have a test ride (45mins) ,but that's not like living with the bike.
I bought it because I've always wanted a GS and this year I had the opportunity to get one , so I did and it is a great all round bike ,I just found it very different from the KTM , so I'm going to put a few thousand miles on it and enjoy it.
Thanks for all the feed back and suggestions.
cheers
Livo.

You won't regret it. Best thing I did to my GSA. :thumby:

Latest Update.
Bike is booked in with Hilltop next Thursday , so lets see what the outcome is.
Regarding earlier comments about not knowing what I was buying and specifications (BHP etc.) ,I did have a test ride (45mins) ,but that's not like living with the bike.
I bought it because I've always wanted a GS and this year I had the opportunity to get one , so I did and it is a great all round bike ,I just found it very different from the KTM , so I'm going to put a few thousand miles on it and enjoy it.
Thanks for all the feed back and suggestions.
cheers
Livo.
I test rode the latest LC expecting a fast bike after all the hype but it was dog slow, maybe my mistake was taking the ZX9 to the dealers when I went for the test ride.

Hill Top will get the best out of the bike but it will still be slow compared to higher output machines. It will grow on you given time you will get used to how slow it is and start to think its quick and enjoy it for what it is.

I test rode the latest LC expecting a fast bike after all the hype but it was dog slow, maybe my mistake was taking the ZX9 to the dealers when I went for the test ride.

Hill Top will get the best out of the bike but it will still be slow compared to higher output machines. It will grow on you given time you will get used to how slow it is and start to think its quick and enjoy it for what it is.

The bike in your avatar must be a real pile of shite then, in comparison.:comfort

Next time go on a push bike :rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who thinks the LC GS is underpowered and slow, needs to learn how to use their right hand and improve their riding skills. "If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you."

There is a difference between going fast, and twisting that throttle for a grin factor lump of hard instant torque that sends you surging forward with a bang, GS does not quite have it compared to a DVT Multi, or KTM 1290 GT, same as Roll off the throttle it does not slow down like my DVT Multi does. But as I have posted before, gain some lose some, GS still a great all round bike with loads of nice gadget things that makes it the ideal tourer.

The GS is underpowered and is slow!

Great bike but both the above still apply, also there are degrees of fast. One man's fast is another man's slow!

0-60 2015 GS 2.9 secs Dont think that is really that Slow tbh, even it's 1/4 mile is not too shabby, and sure there are quicker bikes out there. But Slow it is not

Pretty surprised so many here think the GS is a slow bike - I can see that it doesn't have the outright acceleration of a sports bike etc and in a drag race there's obviously no competition; but I certainly think in the real world it has a great ability to carry speed and so make more progress than a lot of others. I've just been away with friends on a variety of bikes and I didn't have any problem setting a pace that was more than enough for a ZZR and a Blackbird to struggle with on classic european twistys - (hasten to add that it's the bike thats a great ride, rather than me being an accomplished rider!)

It may be slower than some plastic sports bikes out there, but to say its slow" is just nonsense !!

It may be slower than some plastic sports bikes out there, but to say its slow" is just nonsense !!

I had an LC for three years and it IS a slow bike. Lovely but slow. Torqey(ish) but slow!

Oh and heavy which adds to the slow factor!

I had an LC for three years and it IS a slow bike. Lovely but slow. Torqey(ish) but slow!

Oh and heavy which adds to the slow factor!

I guess it's down to the rider then!

Guys give it a break ,I said the GS was 'sluggish' not SLOW compared to the KTM and noisy ,I never said anything else and as I said before I'm not a quick rider, so I'm not trying to compare it to a Sportsbike !
To be honest I wish I'd never started this thread.
Livo

Back
Top Bottom