Disappointed with my GS

Livo1200

Reaction score
Guys.
I know I'm going to get loads of stick for this post ,but its kind of how I feel;
I recently swapped my KTM 1190 for a New 2017 TE or is it a 2016.5 (I'm not sure) in March this year and whilst I was running it in , it was ok , but now it's time to let her go and to be honest it's a bit sluggish , it handles great and it's got all the right bits with it ( ESA etc.,) however recently my right leg/thigh area is getting hot, almost uncomfortable and the engine is very noisy at certain revs/speeds (this may be because I'd fitted a larger screen and his is amplifying the noise ,don't know).

I've never been a quick rider (in the sports bike sense) , but I do find the lack of go ,compared to the KTM a little annoying and I've actually been considering trading it for a New 1290 KTM (but I'd take a massive hit on depreciation).
Sorry for the ramblings above but I've now done circa 1700 miles and I just wonder if the bike will improve or is this as good as it gets ?
Any thoughts.
Cheers
Livo.

Is this your first GS/Boxer? If so I reckon it takes 3-4k to tune into the engine/handling... 1700 isn't enough.... Having said that I've just traded a 17 plate Triumph after only 3 months and 900 miles as I knew I'd made a mistake.

Is this your first GS/Boxer? If so I reckon it takes 3-4k to tune into the engine/handling... 1700 isn't enough.... Having said that I've just traded a 17 plate Triumph after only 3 months and 900 miles as I knew I'd made a mistake.

Which triumph and what did you not like?

If you're thinking of getting rid, because the bike gets hot, DON'T get a KTM 1290. I run a new GS Rallye, and a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, and the KTM gets much hotter than the GS.

For the sake of £300, I'd recommend maybe a trip to Hilltop, which will get rid of some of the flat spots you may be experiencing.

as above if this is your First Boxer, it will take alot more mileage to get use to it...completey different bikes from the KTM . The 120 BHP on he GS is more than enough in the real world. just take more time to enjoy

The KTM has 148 hp? and a chain as opposed to 125 for the GS with a shaft so it's bound to feel slow by comparison. Why not take it to Hill top first as that'll be a lot cheaper than taking a kick in the financial nuts if you trade it in?

Perhaps you will get used to it with time? You have to like these things for what they are rather than how they compare to something else. Hilltop is definitely a good way to make it feel a little more lively but expect smoother power delivery, not noticeably more of it.

The ownership experience is subjective and personal. I could tell you that since April I've been riding my bike with no qualms or complaints, thrown £ at it to stop bits breaking should it fall or I throw it down the street, and that it took me about five weeks to sort the ESA and traction control / engine response combo to my liking, and the bike continues to exceed my expectations. I once owned a Honda X11 that handled like the last trolley in Sainsbury's, but that made me smile too.

If you aren't happy get rid. It's that simple. Just because its the best selling bike doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Guys.
I know I'm going to get loads of stick for this post ,but its kind of how I feel;
I recently swapped my KTM 1190 for a New 2017 TE or is it a 2016.5 (I'm not sure) in March this year and whilst I was running it in , it was ok , but now it's time to let her go and to be honest it's a bit sluggish , it handles great and it's got all the right bits with it ( ESA etc.,) however recently my right leg/thigh area is getting hot, almost uncomfortable and the engine is very noisy at certain revs/speeds (this may be because I'd fitted a larger screen and his is amplifying the noise ,don't know).

I've never been a quick rider (in the sports bike sense) , but I do find the lack of go ,compared to the KTM a little annoying and I've actually been considering trading it for a New 1290 KTM (but I'd take a massive hit on depreciation).
Sorry for the ramblings above but I've now done circa 1700 miles and I just wonder if the bike will improve or is this as good as it gets ?
Any thoughts.
Cheers
Livo.

Easy enough to check the power and torque figures before you purchased the GS, I assumed that you did? If not why not?

However it all depends upon what you want in a bike, the GS is still the best all round motorcycle in existence, no question, which is why it has been so successful.

P.S. the GS is one of the coolest running big bikes available.

My GSA went to hill top and the difference was really noticeable, the first run gave 97bhp at rear wheel, after Jeff did his magic touch it gave 117 at rear wheel. The engine is also a lot smoother.

Which triumph and what did you not like?

I bought a Triumph Street Scrambler - I'd convinced myself that 55 bhp was enough...it isn't. I traded it for a BMW Scrambler X - the 110 published BHP and stronger torque suits me better. It's my 5th Boxer - glad to be back after a little trip away!

To be fair to the BMW dealer they got me a good price which softened the blow - I decided it was better to get it over and done with.

My GSA went to hill top and the difference was really noticeable, the first run gave 97bhp at rear wheel, after Jeff did his magic touch it gave 117 at rear wheel. The engine is also a lot smoother.

Was that on stardard pipes or with an end can and decat?

20 BHP from a remap. Wow. What the mpg like? Has it improved? JJH

My observations of my new 2017 r1200gsa te, which may be of relevance: in comparison with my hilltopped r1200gs twincam, I initially thought that the new bike was a bit gutless. In road mode, under 5000rpm the bike can feel asthmatic as if there is a lag between opening the throttle and the engine reacting - as if the mapping is responding gently to make sure traction is maintained and the front wheel stays down. In similar circumstances the twincam would leap forward with much greater urgency. With the dynamic mode set, the engine is much more responsive and feels like the traction control is less intrusive. I think that the bike will benefit from a hilltop visit.
I don't understand the comment about the right leg heat? Although my GSA has a heat barrier under the tank that wasn't there on the the air cooled version. I thought KTM's were famous for underseat heating.
Alan R

I have my GSA l/c about 18 months now and 40,000 km approx. I never have trouble with heating. Best bike ever. Really. JJH

Guys.

Any thoughts.
Cheers
Livo.

If you're thinking of getting rid, because the bike gets hot, DON'T get a KTM 1290. I run a new GS Rallye, and a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, and the KTM gets much hotter than the GS.

For the sake of £300, I'd recommend maybe a trip to Hilltop, which will get rid of some of the flat spots you may be experiencing.

I second that. My TB GSA is same age as yours, registered 4th of March this year. "Out the box" it was much smoother than my '64 GS. I took it to Geoff at Hilltop shortly after first service been carried out. The bike had 101bhp at the wheel and felt sluggish/hesitant whatever you want to call it, not great. Apart from K&N filter (for which I got stick from Geoff) bike was standard from factory. Geoff magic tricks have transformed it into a much more usable bike with plenty of go, especially around 5500rpm, pulls nicely in every gear and BHP went up to 115 at the wheel. The best bit is, that I get on average 53/54mpg and I no longer hang about, that's an increase from maximum of 42mpg while riding in same way as I do now. My GSA has now done nearly 6000 miles and is only getting better. I was told by Geoff to give some beans as top end was still tight and there were few horses waiting to be released. So I've done best thing and taken my wife to France for 9 days. Heavy bike, loaded with circa 60kg worth of luggage, two up and 2000 miles later certainly has loosened her up quite a bit. I have since added Akra end can, I doubt it made much performance difference, but I wanted for the sound, rather than performance, 115BHP at the wheel Is enough for me. I am not complaining In the slightest. Love my GSA, but there are two things that does frustrate me about BMW, is that they drip feed us every 6 month with latest tech on same bike, it just unfair in my opinion. The socond is 6k service intervals. Most manufacturers have moved on in that department to 8-9-10k.

Take a trip to Hilltop you will not regret it.

Hot thigh..... it is hot air being blown by the fan from radiator that curls round and hits you in the back of your thigh. You only notice it, because of late it been very warm weather and you feel heat more than before. Once weather cools of you will not notice heat coming of the radiator.

Tall screen will amplify engine noise.

All the best.

EV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euro IV has knackered these bikes, budgeting Mr Hilltop to get them sorted appears to be the answer..

Guys.

Any thoughts.
Cheers
Livo.

I am surprised at how many people buy bikes without knowing exactly what model they are getting - though I think BMW deliberately make it difficult to differentiate.

If it has the reflectors on the front forks and preload adjustments for one helmet, one helmet + luggage and two helmets, then it is a 2016.5 which like the 2017 has the modified gearbox and judder damper. If the preload options are MIN, MAX, and AUTO then it is a 2017 and also has the revised bodywork. If it doesn't have reflectors then it is a 2016 without the gearbox improvements.

Incidentally, mine is the 2017 and possibly due to the revised bodywork I don't have a problem with hot air from the radiator, though the fan came on frequently on a trip during the recent mini-heatwave.

Fred

Back
Top Bottom