Ignition switch

Robbiem

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like I need a new ignition switch and lead -- 2003 1150gs--
Are they really £140 or is there an alternative patent part available anywhere?
Cheers
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I need a new ignition switch and lead -- 2003 1150gs--
Are they really £140 or is there an alternative patent part available anywhere?
Cheers
Rob

You need an ignition switch and a lead ???

You do know they are available separately..

You need an ignition switch and a lead ???

You do know they are available separately..

Thanks -- yes I did notice when I had a blokes look - that they were available separately.

All the signs pointed to the switch -- just as if the key had been turned to off and the bike died -- did not lose the time on the clock.

Happened a couple of times.

I have removed tank and tugged and pulled on all leads and plugs including ignition switch lead but cannot get to fault.
Also removed top of fuse box and checked all fuses and relays.

Bike will not now fail and I have done another 300 mile with lots of stop starts

Riding round with multimeter and elec drawing waiting.

Does anyone know ?? Under the fuse box there is a bunch of wires that are bound with tape -- looks like a join from the rear of the fuse bike to the main bike loom??
I didn't unwrap this but wondered if there could be some joints that may be susceptible to failure??
Or do I have a loom that has been butchered at some stage?

Thanks for your replies

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If what Steptoe is alluding to it's a common fault. The short loom from the bottom of the ignition switch fails. It can either be inside the switch part, or more likely in the loom where the wires are bundled together.

Sometimes the fault with show itself up with moving the handlebars from lock to lock with ignition switched on. It can be repaired, but tbh it's easier if not costly to just replace that part of the loom. Doesn't take long once you have the tank off and drop the ignition switch out to change it over.

I had it happen to a previous bike last year.

The loom should run down the left side of the headstock and should look like this linked https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R850 R1100 R1150&bikeref=R1150GS

If what Steptoe is alluding to it's a common fault. The short loom from the bottom of the ignition switch fails. It can either be inside the switch part, or more likely in the loom where the wires are bundled together.

Sometimes the fault with show itself up with moving the handlebars from lock to lock with ignition switched on. It can be repaired, but tbh it's easier if not costly to just replace that part of the loom. Doesn't take long once you have the tank off and drop the ignition switch out to change it over.

I had it happen to a previous bike last year.

The loom should run down the left side of the headstock and should look like this linked https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R850 R1100 R1150&bikeref=R1150GS

Cheers I'll take a look if/when it happens again -- I have taken the switch apart and regreased/cleaned the terminals -- but they didn't look shot at all -- I've also removed the outer sheath and checked the four wires inside

Back
Top Bottom