Picos/Pyrenees VS Alps/Dolomites

slowriding

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have shipped a bike to Frankfurt to start a 2 month tour of Europe beginning 18 July. My plan is to visit eastern Europe and Turkey but since the Pyrenees and Alps are in the neighborhood I thought I would start with some hooligan riding before heading east. At this time of the year is one area a bit less saturated with 4 wheel caravans than the other? I would appreciate any information from those that have ridden both areas during high season.

Darrel
Phoenix, Arizona

Personlly i would go Spanish mountains Picos /Pyrenees

The Alps will be very very busy and you could end up queuing to go up the Stelvio etc

Just my own opinion of course

Yup, agreed. Alps are spectacular but hellishly busy

yes, you go to the Alps and leave the Picos/pyrenees to others, like me

The Alps (though maybe smaller than Arizona) are a big area, they won't all be rammed with cars, lorries and caravans. Anyway, you are on a motorbike, so overtake them if and when you come across them.

Its easy to choose because they are so completely different.
If you are there for the "tourist/vacation" experience, but happen to be riding a motorbike, go to the Alps.

If, on the other hand, your intention is to feel a true "motorcycle experience", and the riding is the priority, head to Spain.

Thank you gentlemen, decision made. Now I just need to have my bike arrive at FRA. Seems it didn't make the scheduled flight on the 7th and was rescheduled for today, fingers crossed.

Collecting bike in Frankfurt and going to E Europe , makes sense to drop down to the Alps, I wouldn't really say the Picos are in the neighbourhood ! Having said that you guys from over the pond do tend to have a bigger neighbourhood than us here.

There's Pros and cons for Both. Some points mentioned above , the Alps is quite a large area and won't be bust everywhere. Places like the Stelvio are over rated in my opinion, there's much better passes . The picos is small in comparison but will be quiter. The Pyrenees is closer for you coming from Frankfurt, try those . Call in at Pamplona for some nice steak !

I will be heading down the east side of France and head for the Pyrenees and Picos for a bit. I'll do a fly by of the Alps and Dolomites on my way to Turkey. By the time I head back to FRA from Turkey in early September I will hope most of the folks on holiday have gone.

I will be heading down the east side of France and head for the Pyrenees and Picos for a bit. I'll do a fly by of the Alps and Dolomites on my way to Turkey. By the time I head back to FRA from Turkey in early September I will hope most of the folks on holiday have gone.

Have a fantastic time mate....so miles going on the bike for sure . Enjoy

Have a fantastic time mate....so miles going on the bike for sure . Enjoy

That's the best route IMO. Have a good trip, and let us know how it's going.:thumb2

Currently in Switzerland heading back north after having done German, Austrian, Slovenian and Italian Alps and we found Italy mega busy bit the rest fairly quiet.

Both are great, neither have a lot of traffic compared to where I live.

The main Alps passes that link larger towns or are main routes across the mountain range will be busier, the Stelvio and Grossglockner are always busy, but you might still want to take them in. I have done many Alps trips from July to September, never have I found the traffic unbearable, just the odd spot here and there, never enough to ruin a whole day or even half a day for that matter.

The Dolomites are possibly the worst for traffic if generalising areas, certainly the figure 8 loop around Arabba, but it is also one of the most spectacular days riding available in the Alps, head a bit south of there away from the larger towns (holiday resorts) to passes such as the Manghen and you will find beautiful scenery, great loads and very few cars / buses / motorhomes.

If you can steer clear of any large lakes and the towns near them you will avoid the very worst traffic the Alps has to offer - but maybe you would like to see some of these lakes, IMO it is all about balance and if you want to ride the Stelvio, or see Lake Garda them do so, I am sure you will remember the views and experience of being there long after the memories of having a few tin boxes in your way has faded.

I have not ridden in the Picos and only had one trip to the Pyrenees, they generally are lighter on traffic, but there are also less iconic routes and passes, if you have the time I would suggest trying to ride in both if you can, to link them up head across the southern reaches of France as generally it is very nice, the North is more congested and lacks the scenery, roads and climate of the South.

Grab a copy of the book "Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and beyond", it is written by an American so you should understand it better than I did, it has routes in the Alps, Pyrenees and Pico's - although mainly the Alps. It should give you some great ideas of the bits you might like to work into your trip.

My top tip would be RDGA - if you can find the time to stop for a couple of days in a couple of places to take in some of the routes along the way (in your fellow countryman's book) all the better. The 7 pass loop around Mont Blanc is fantastic and any circular route out from Barcelonnette is well worth doing.

Personally I get a lot of enjoyment out of researching and planning my trips, I hope you find equal joy in doing this as your trip approaches, as a good American friend of mine always tells me "if you do not have a plan then you have nothing to deviate from" or my favourite quote from another great American "planning is everything, the plan is nothing"

Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom