Discombobulation 2017

Living the dream, Rob :beerjug:

We're in France now, and the weather is bloody awful. In all directions.:blast

That's the trouble in July, if the jet stream is wrong it can last for all of July and Aug, seen it many times before wen it changes for the worse after June and good weather seldom returns until Sept
Looks like it's one of 'those' years

That's the trouble in July, if the jet stream is wrong it can last for all of July and Aug, seen it many times before wen it changes for the worse after June and good weather seldom returns until Sept
Looks like it's one of 'those' years

Yep, we're gutted, to be honest. We've headed south, and are going to do the RDGA instead, as the weather will be much better. The Dolomites in the pissing rain doesn't interest us in the slightest.

Heading west..

Today’s destination – due west, and into the beautiful Picos.. :thumby:

An early start, up, packed and out. No sign of rain today, a pleasant 18 degrees as we kick off, little puffy white clouds scattered across the sky like cotton wool. The morning isn’t the most riveting riding, some good fast stuff, punctuated with stretches of Autovia as we rack on some miles and push on.

All signs of rain are forgotten about- the wet togs have been safely stowed into the bag, and by afternoon time we’re heating up as the temperatures climb into the high twenties.

A couple of stops during the day; coffee at one place where the drunks are being collected and helped home.. before midday.. :D
Between this and the next, time for a bit of the rough stuff, leading to a tactical u-turn and retracing our steps..

Bloody hot now with temperatures now creeping up to 30. How the recent rains are forgotten, distant memories.

35960756962_d7b128fda0_b.jpg

Shortly after we reach a place where they’re super friendly and recommend the milkshake with a long wait, but it’s a good recommendation..

35960652952_0127a2998b_b.jpg

The milkshake sets up a great 45 minute run in to Ojedo, on the edge of Potes, where we check into Pena Sagre, a lovely little place.

35738502560_2ccb1477a1_b.jpg

A stroll into Potes for a couple of pre-dinner drinks..

35322260253_ccde5e87d3_b.jpg

.. and then back to HQ for the signature dish, lamb chops.. with house wine.

35322264843_5c55ef627d_b.jpg

What to have for dessert? I ordered another round of lamb chops. They were so, so good, I just couldn’t help it. The waitress got a laugh out of it, once she worked out I was serious.

35960651262_1714beab9a_b.jpg

All followed up by getting lightly mangled on the balcony. Drinks all round!

36130817275_cddbc6de40_b.jpg

Happy days :beerjug:

And some continued good news on the bike: The stuttering now is a little less pronounced. Perhaps some water ingress maybe? Anyhow, it’s much improving and today’s blast, with a lack of damp, has certainly seen an improvement. Nice :thumb

Heading west..

some good fast stuff, . That'll keep Ballistic happy then ... he doesn't have that name for nothing you know

All followed up by getting lightly mangled on the balcony. Drinks all round!

36130817275_cddbc6de40_b.jpg

Happy days :beerjug:

5 glasses and just the 2 of you !! that'll suit Brian as well. :beer: :beer:

Cheers all.. glad to know someone is reading my continuing drivel! :)

West again.. point me towards Ponferrada..

I’m up around 5 and see the sun come up, having a sit on the balcony with a host of empty drinking vessels and an ever-so-slightly fuzzy head. It’s just beautiful. The cool early morning air, the emerging sun, the colours and shadows across the limestone peaks.. all just memorable.
Sitting in front of the computer here now, like a prize nerd, I can close my eyes and breathe it all in :thumb

The bike sits below the balcony, waiting patiently for today's installment of action..

35299259474_c8bdc329b0_b.jpg

So. today’s destination is Ponferrada - so continuing our journey to the west and over towards Portugal. We have a simple breakfast – Brian, bread and jam, me just coffee, I’m still a bit full after the lamb chop overdose, but the coffee is strong and good and does the trick.

Being already in the heart of the Picos, well, the riding is simply magnificent from the start. We head across the San Glorio pass; we see no traffic, bikes, cars- nothing- on the way up.

Stopping for pictures at a favourite spot.

35299263294_c8c0d95f8e_b.jpg

It gets no better..

35299264794_abb9f54947_b.jpg

Digressing for a moment, just a moment to mention that this part of Spain is a simply fantastic place to head to on a bike, and I would thoroughly recommend it, as I’m sure many on the site here who’ve had the pleasure to visit would.

36099524826_ca2967a048_b.jpg

Selfie. Hello, UKGSer’s! :thumby:

36140141615_46d0738484_b.jpg

We move up to a viewpoint where the Bear monument is, but I can’t be bothered to stroll up in all of this clobber.

35299276184_08abdc823a_b.jpg

We’re joined by a guide up at the top who is taking a group of three for a walk. He tells us about the features and peaks in an animated passion. walks off with them, and then comes back to tell us more.

35332703193_fc39104dc5_b.jpg

The going is good and the roads get a little harsher as we move away from the main routes across the mountains. Bumpier, and with poor surfaces, but GS country, and entertaining. Brian opts to take some roads that were decommissioned with newer roads nearby and we find ourselves emerging through the undergrowth, like a two wheeled David Bellamy duet.

Coffee stop with scenic splendour..

36099539806_0be49e3e28_b.jpg

More bumpy goodness after the coffee stop.

Lunch is taken in a place called Villamanin, at a restaurant called Meson Ezequiel, which Brian calls the sausage factory. Hardly in a picturesque location, on the main road and part of a truckstop, but it’s probably worth mentioning that the standard over here for ‘roadside’ food is fantastically high..
A confused attempt at ordering gets the right result. Meat!

35332710503_a5a6bb1e1f_b.jpg

I opt for a mushroom dish given the indulgences of last night. From the head perspective, this was a good idea. From the heart, it was a very bad idea. From the heart surgeon, on the other hand, again it was at least the correct choice..

35332713763_f8c07bf49e_b.jpg

Due west of us, on the tiny roads passing through Poladura de la Tercia is a beautiful valley setting - as stunning place as you’ll ever get the pleasure to cast an eye on. I don’t have a picture so you’ll have to trust me, but please do.

Eventually this meets up again at a main fast road and we work our way west on Fantastic quick roads.

At one point, two deer hop out- one carrys on across the road and the other doubles back. The brakes are certainly working well. eek.. that will warrant an underwear inspection later, me thinks.

The final act of the piece is a brisk and flawless ride down into Ponferrada, enjoying the benefit of the change in elevation as we make our way into the city; the bike is almost riding itself, and there’s not a hint of a cough or a stutter now. Lovely.

Temperature is in the early thirties as we roll down on into Ponferrada. Wide boulevard motoring into town, with 50kmh and lots of traffic lights. The final trawl up is following a Policia Local car which is intent on doing five miles an hour. Not exactly the welcome we wanted in the heat, but after what seems an age we’ve climbed to our destination.
The hotel is fine- a good location, close to the castle with indoor parking at a surcharge, which is used for convenience sake. The hotel is full of laminated notices featuring what not to do.

GPS odyssey update: Well, the screen has sprung back into life on the old Zumo, colour and everything, but the touch screen part doesn’t work anymore. That would be fine as I could use it for location reference easily, but Professor Piehead here had fiddled around with it whilst it was barely working and activated a route on it, which I now can’t cancel, and so it’s constantly telling me to bugger off back to France. So it does work well as a compass and a speedo. That’s something, I s’pose, and I do like to keep it mounted on the bike because if it’s not there, on or off, I find it a bit of distraction. Weird.
I try to take the battery off hoping it’ll reset the route. No dice. Balls. Google tells me if I want a hard reset I’ll need the touch screen, and that’s out.

35332716103_1a816516c0_b.jpg

Shall we take this party outside then? Why not. Actually, Ponferrada is a bit of an unexpected gem. I’ve only ever skirted around the place- it seemed a sort of an urban industrial place- and this goes to show how wrong you can be on first impressions.

We hit the streets. I buy a sticker for the bike off of this chap.

35970753262_149bd01e19_b.jpg

It’s quiet and peaceful in the heat of late afternoon. The restaurants and beer bar we plan to visit aren’t open until after six, so a stroll is taken..

36140441555_cd8f4b7ae0_b.jpg

Pretty streets and sights in the old town..

35971055362_e67f11dc97_b.jpg

36006217941_3b2f7d9a6f_b.jpg

We make a visit to the supermarket, where you can get spangled for the princely sum of a shiny Euro :eek:

35333079193_acd6c38834_b.jpg

Seems like this place has everything you need, eh..? :beerjug:

36140500075_80cd3cd1a6_b.jpg

35971084612_06de66c3e0_b.jpg

Mandatory late afternoon refreshment is taken with a view of the castle walls where we can people watch the Camino de Santiago walkers on their pilgrimages, all manner of folks, young, old, tattoos..

35299606574_bb8e92ddc4_b.jpg

After a further wander, it’s craft beer o’clock, so we’re onward to our venue of Cerviceros del Beirzo..

35299626254_10e0a43b75_b.jpg

35299613524_477ed44051_b.jpg

Fortunately, I’m pleased to report my beer navigation system is working perfectly as we make our way through the menu. There’s some serious stuff on offer..

35299611214_c30b36fa79_b.jpg

.. each round served with Tapas and very pleasant service.

35299620864_5e18715c16_b.jpg

Ponferrada proves to be a hit :thumb

36140520805_969d3ee32d_b.jpg

We wobble back to the hotel, opting to skip dinner. Brian trundles off to bed and I have a drink in the hotel bar. It’s full of said walkers and pilgrams the Santiago route, feet up and socks off. I ask for a glass of white wine, and am promptly presented with a bottle which is opened and poured before I can protest. Well, I suppose I better make the best of it..

Night night.

Great write up Rob, just been on loop through France/Switzerland/Italy and back in France making my way north, planning on heading toward Alencon today, any recommendations for a decent bike friendly Hotel?

Camping last couple of weeks, by week three could use a night indoors.

Spain and a touch of Morocco are on my list so I'm likely to follow some of your trail next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up Rob, just been on loop through France/Switzerland/Italy and back in France making my way north, planning on heading toward Alencon today, any recommendations for a decent bike friendly Hotel?

Camping last couple of weeks, by week three could use a night indoors.

Spain and a touch of Morocco are on my list so I'm likely to follow some of your trail next year

Hello.. and cheers for that! Nice- hope your trip has gone well :thumb

I can't personally recommend anything near Alencon I'm afraid - apart from the bakery ;) normally I'm heading for or coming from much farther south when I'm in that area. Brian has booked a place called Le Clos d'Hautville in Le Mans for our return, but for reasons to be disclosed I never made it. He might be along to tell what it's like..

All the best, R :beerjug:

Off to the South..

Last night I suggested an early start- with the weather now getting hotter, and so that’s agreed. At 7.30 we’re ready for the off, although trapped in the car park as we’ve made a schoolboy error, ignored one of the laminated signs and haven’t settled up for the parking.
Fortunately someone is making their way out of the car park so the door opens and we trundle out. It wasn’t the money, more of the sodding about that would have been the annoyance. Anyways, we’re off into the clear air of the early morning.

Heading south now, picking the road up into the mountains. It’s chilly in the shade- down to around eight degrees at one point. That soon passes and we’re climbing into the sunshine.
Some excellent riding- for example on the erm, simply named 'LE-CV 192/21' which takes us over the peak of Los Portillinos.

A navigation break and a glug of Fanta.

35344851203_6b46d7c433_b.jpg

Super riding is to be had as we cross into Eastern Portugal and then back into Spain once more, before finally hitting Portugal once more.

An afternoon break with the temperature hitting a very toasty 38. A pretty view looking down to the Serra da Malcata nature reserve, and a very nice breeze up here..

36018330531_efc23a242f_b.jpg

35344858583_b4ee5eba74_b.jpg

It’s been a 300 plus mile day but we arrive at our destination in Castelo Branco at around 4pm.. Outside the hotel we chat with an English chap who lives locally. He says ‘there are two types of temperatures around here – too hot, or too cold. I’ll settle for too hot at the moment.

The hotel is up by the castle- the hotel Tryp Colina Do Castelo. It’s a genuine 4 star hotel and Brian has got a pretty favourable rate by our friends at booking.com. It features a commanding view over the landscape from our room which has a balcony, and a similarly splendid view from the bar.

We wander down the narrow streets to the town.

36150975095_7aaa274bb6_b.jpg

Stout refreshment is taken (again, proper hydration is essential, folks..)

36150967235_dda50f3711_b.jpg

We didn’t get a recommendation for somewhere to eat so are doing some research on our phones, which goes erm, sort of well, but we settle upon the Chusrrasqueira de Se. The door is open and there are two chickens cooking on a huge, Olympic size indoor grill.
We try and get a table for two, but are shoo’d away- the restaurant opens at 7.

We go back to a bar and order white wine, carefully trying to get it across that we want white. The toothless old gent nods and smiles. ‘Deutsche!’ he pronounces, and promptly returns with two pints of Super Bock.

Returning to the restaurant, we’ve again vexed the waitress staff. We get a sort of ‘Oh it’s these two again..’ vibe. However, once they’ve correctly analysed we speak English (toothless Barkeep- take note) we’re led to a table out in a courtyard, and presented with the Chef, who speaks good English, is very smiley and rather camp.

Great food follows- tasty Peri peri chicken, olives, bread, salad, bits, bobs, wine, beer, desserts.

36150969685_49305506eb_b.jpg

36018333241_18e6dc462f_b.jpg

If I recall correctly the total bill is 33 Euros.. :cool:

We ponder whether to trudge back uphill to the hotel by the castle, or take a taxi, but the right thing is done, and we complete the ascent to the soundtrack of wheezing and flip flops..

35760955170_df760fb190_b.jpg

Making new friends..

36112511566_0c51a1c21b_b.jpg

Nearly at the summit at sunset..

36151005145_b25523e6d3_b.jpg

We decide to clamber up to castle, and as we do, we can hear drums..

35312503104_b0d7255e6a_b.jpg

Band practice. Cool!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AxysJYG4Bwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Off for further investigation..

36151024275_f28007ba67_b.jpg

We sit and listen as they play on into the darkness. Sorry, not a great picture.

35760981420_6f370550ec_b.jpg

35760982210_0947cd0129_b.jpg

We wobble off to though the grounds back to the hotel.

35344896173_453310f62a_b.jpg

Tomorrow we’ll be making our own way to our destinations. Ballistic will be off to Faro to meet with his good lady, and I’ll be catching up a few pals down the coast for a week off, with us meeting back up on the way North.

On the GPS front, I’ve ordered a very cheap Amazon motorcycle GPS which is coming in t £80. Courtesy of quick delivery, I’ll have one of the chaps I’m meeting bring it across to me when I get down to the Algarve.
And of course, I’ve still got my good old map book :thumb

And so to the Algarve

I’m up early once again, for some reason listening to a Radiohead album at 5am. Another lovely sun up.

36112531766_881a1e0fb2_b.jpg

Breakfast is taken with a great view.
Things will differ today. As I’d mentioned, Brian will be meeting his good lady and they want to go for a spin on the bike, so I agree to swap over my two seats for Brian’s single one, and then swap back when we meet for the return push North.
We’ll be making our own respective ways from here now, so I leave before Brian.
It’s a pretty plain and simple run south now. Basically a run down via Nisa, Estremoz, Evora, Beja, Castro Verde and then to the Algarve coast, using mostly main drags - but not motorway, with a plan to be there by early afternoon :thumb2

There’s some good fun quick riding to be done in the first hour or so, but then things open out to run of the mill stuff. Which is fine, the sun is shining and it’s pleasant. The birds are singing, the hat is on the side of the head as it were, and on we go, sat in 6th and poodling my way along. The traffic, by Portugal standards, is positively cooperative, several folks going out of their way to let me pass.

I stop for a coffee on the main IP2 road just on the way into Beja. Normally people are friendly. I say hello and ask for a coffee in Portuguese and am polite, but am met with a scowl from the unhappy young bint who can barely see over the counter. Undeterred, I say thank you politely, and mooch outside with my coffee.

Bad sign? Odd.

36201540915_258c151a41_b.jpg

Well, it doesn’t seem a cool place to dwell, so back to the road and more of that 6th gear plodding, picking through the man drag traffic. Largely dull riding, but enjoyable.. here’s me, in the warm afternoon sunshine, on me hols, riding about.
South of a place called Orique, the main road gets twisty and a bit more interesting with some to do’s- but- when going to change down for an overtake in some traffic I engage the clutch and there’s barely anything there. Eek! Oh dear! This isn’t good. Where did that come from?

I pull into a laby on the road to take a moment and work out what’s what. I get a flashing from the instrument display, LAMPF.. and then everything goes blank. Nothing. Nada.
Oh dear again…!

I get a bit more life for a moment, and then a click click.. Ah. :blast

What to do now? Right then. First thing, I get the bike under a tree out of the sun – last check of the temperature showed it as 38 degrees. Deep breath, take a swig of water before working out what to do next. I pump the clutch for a bit and get some life back, so that’s encouraging. That’s one thing, but with things as they are.. we’re not going far. :(

I do a bit of fairly straight forward fault finding but don’t have any luck getting power. Shite. It’s hot. I can feel the sun on my neck. After a bit more sodding about I call recovery. In itself that was a challenge because my phone had overheated in the tank bag and gave me a white screen. Glad I carry a spare, just in case.
So that’s a bit of an ordeal, but eventually and after what seems an age of ‘muzak’ I’m through, and after providing some details a black country voice tells me my case will be assessed and I’ll be contacted within 90 minutes. Assessed? Jeez. S’pose it is Portugal. I sit on the crash barrier for a bit, send a few texts and then decide to do a bit more rooting around given things will be a while.

36201557575_139838aa99_b.jpg

After disconnecting the battery, rooting around for about twenty minutes checking connections again, on another attempt I get life! Ah.. the green glow of the big ‘N’ and the flashing of ‘Brake Failure’. Wow- ok. I fire the bike up- and bingo, we up and running. I carefully put the seat back, checking that’s not played with anything, and quickly put tools and bits and bobs back into their homes. As it’s so hot, I don’t dilly – perfect conditions for this thing to overheat – so opt to get on to the destination – about 45 minutes away – and then I’ll call the breakdown guys and cancel.

With all of the mechanical sympathy I can muster, I tippy toe the bike the final hot kilometres to the destination down on the coast. The clutch is a bit weak but not too bad, so we’ll think about that one later. At the hotel, I get the bike in a good spot and lay it up for a bit.

I call the recovery company, explain the situation and the call is cancelled. Ten minutes later, I get a call from someone from a Portugal number who can’t speak English (and none of my trump card schoolboy French which can work with the older generation in Portugal) registers. Anyway, it’s pretty clear that I’m on to the poor recovery driver.
Blast.
Feeling resourceful, I act. There’s a valet guy at the hotel. I ask him if he could help – if he could simply tell the driver that the call has been cancelled and he is no longer needed. ‘Of course’ says the valet guy, smiley, smiley guy. He’s on the phone with the guy for an age. ‘Not needed’ I tell him again.. After about 5 minutes the guy gets off the phone and says ‘It’s Ok, he’ll be here in about 45 minutes’ and smiley guy walks off. Oh dear, that worked well.. :D

So then I call the recovery again, explain again the circumstances, speak to another person, explain again until I reach someone who gets it and tells me it will be dealt with. Crumbs. That was easy..

After having to switch apartments three times, and starting to get the distinct feeling the day had something against me, I finally get to kick back and relax, and can smile to myself about the experiences..

Food for the feet. Ahhhh..

36201560625_ee5d4101aa_b.jpg

Tonight it’ll be celebratory beers with my pals. We can think about our problems tomorrow. For now, fun and feet up!

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom