Towns near Vitoria Gasteiz

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

Couple of weeks and will be in Spain and the last night prior to heading to the ferry (Santander) am looking for recommendation where to stay. Would like somewhere smallish , couple of bars and restaurants so any recommendations gladly received. Vitoria looks like a large town which unless it gets a thumbs up would like to avoid but kind of in the right area.

Thanks

Can't help with lodgings in the area you are looking at as on our last night we splash the cash at a very upmarket vineyard/hotel south of Logrono. What I can suggest however is a great route from your area to the afternoon ferry from Santander - about 100 miles so an easy ride with time to spare. Small mountain roads, terrific views and virtually no traffic 'til you hit the north coast conurbation to the east of Santander

Attachments

• To Santander.gpx
    108.8 KB · Views: 102
How about Sto Domingo de la Calzada, just off the N120 on the Camino (Pilgrims Route).

Nice little town, in an agricultural area, with 2 Paradors, if that's your bag. We prefer the one near the historic centre, with a nice garage for the bikes. Then it's an easy ride, on the N232/623 over the mountains to Santander.

have a good trip .......................... KEN

It does really depend what time the ferry leaves Santander but you could try Hotel Jakue at Puente la Reina south of Pamplona have stopped there a few times

A couple of years ago when coming from the east we stayed on the Basque coast at a small place called Lekeitio, about 90k north of Vitoria. Nice harbour area, a few eating places and bars, you have to like fish though. We then took the twisty coast road along as far as Bermeo before dropping down to the M-way, nice scenic end to the trip . The hotel wasn't the best but we only had a dumb phone then so just turned up on spec. I'm sure Booking.com would have better options.

It does really depend what time the ferry leaves Santander but you could try Hotel Jakue at Puente la Reina south of Pamplona have stopped there a few times

Ferry leaves at 14.15 so 3 - 4 hours max ride from where we are staying. Coming from the East.

I lived in Vitoria for a while and wouldn't rush back. The old centre is ok and there is an NH hotel there which isn't bad. But as suggested if possible head for the coast.

Ok guys you have sold me the idea of heading to the coast for the last night before heading to Santander the next day for the ferry home. Ferry leaves at 14.15, I think without checking;) so where do you recommend?

Having looked San Sebastián could be a choice, too big?, is it nice ? etc etc or looking for other alternatives. Accommodation recommends would also be good.

Ok guys you have sold me the idea of heading to the coast for the last night before heading to Santander the next day for the ferry home. Ferry leaves at 14.15, I think without checking;) so where do you recommend?

Having looked San Sebastián could be a choice, too big?, is it nice ? etc etc or looking for other alternatives. Accommodation recommends would also be good.

Anyone ?

There's better places than Santander for a night stop. Here's what i just did... opened google maps. Looked at the coast... Bilbao..? Ive heard of that but don't really want a big city atmosphere... mmmmm..... so just outside is an area called playa Arrietara... (through Bilbao on the coast) google shows lots of little cocktail glasses which must mean bars and drinks :beerjug: now we're getting warmer.... and theres lots of beds in red circles.... is that good? I dunno... lets see... oh it means hotels! Cool!! You know what, it would be really good to park the bike have a shower then walk to the beach front for a beer and tapas... it's almost like someone else has thought this too because theres a hotel right there! "Hotel Goizalde", says "low key" should be in my budget then...
next step? Booking.com the hotel name and see if you like the look of it...
Rinse and repeat this process until either 1, you've had enough, and the Mrs says "ffs just pick one!" Or 2 you get that lovely warm feeling in your nuts that says... "she's the one!"
Or 3...
Send me your card details and ill book you a lovely little place... cant guarantee itll be cheap though... ;)
P.s
Ive been drinking red wine in the afternoon.... :jager

Ribedesella, sounds like a rather unpleasant strain of some disease of the willy, contracted in the fleshpots of Nigeria. Resistant to all forms of penicillin and somewhat gooey, so I'm told.

There's better places than Santander for a night stop. Here's what i just did... opened google maps. Looked at the coast... Bilbao..? Ive heard of that but don't really want a big city atmosphere... mmmmm..... so just outside is an area called playa Arrietara... (through Bilbao on the coast) google shows lots of little cocktail glasses which must mean bars and drinks :beerjug: now we're getting warmer.... and theres lots of beds in red circles.... is that good? I dunno... lets see... oh it means hotels! Cool!! You know what, it would be really good to park the bike have a shower then walk to the beach front for a beer and tapas... it's almost like someone else has thought this too because theres a hotel right there! "Hotel Goizalde", says "low key" should be in my budget then...
next step? Booking.com the hotel name and see if you like the look of it...
Rinse and repeat this process until either 1, you've had enough, and the Mrs says "ffs just pick one!" Or 2 you get that lovely warm feeling in your nuts that says... "she's the one!"
Or 3...
Send me your card details and ill book you a lovely little place... cant guarantee itll be cheap though... ;)
P.s
Ive been drinking red wine in the afternoon.... :jager

You are Wapping's long lost great aunt and I claim my 50p :D

Nice post :)

Andres

Ribedesella, sounds like a rather unpleasant strain of some disease of the willy, contracted in the fleshpots of Nigeria. Resistant to all forms of penicillin and somewhat gooey, so I'm told.
No that is Rotherham.

Filey is also far enough North to cause you a shudder, Ribedesella on the other hand is quite lovely and devoid of hoards of biker mates and awesome steeds mainly because of the amount of salt what with its proximity to the sea

Ribedesella

On the coast about 2 hours max from Santander 3 if you go the scenic route

Lovely little place like a Spanish Filey

Been there when we did the Picos, very nice but travelling east to west from the Pyrenees so somewhere nearish San Sebastián

Thanks anyway

No that is Rotherham.

Filey is also far enough North to cause you a shudder, Ribedesella on the other hand is quite lovely and devoid of hoards of biker mates and awesome steeds mainly because of the amount of salt what with its proximity to the sea

I went out with a girl from Filey or was it Humanby / Hummaby / Hunmanby or summat like that? Happy days.

Quite admirable advice, I thought.

Mmm really?. Did that and found a couple of potentials but wanting some recommendations having never visited the area.

Don't want to end up in a shit hole like London do I :D

Don't want to end up in a shit hole like London do I :D

Indeed not, for which we are truly grateful, as your pounds of turd will not improve it one jot, I'm sure :D

Enjoy your holiday, wherever you find yourself :beerjug:

PS Do report back, I'm sure that other bikermates will appreciate your hard won, in-depth local knowledge, gained from hands-on and, dare I say it, intrepid Adventuring into the land of Elcano and Penelope Cruz.

San Sebastián is a great place,especially the old town.Tapas bars are amazing.

Stay in the Mercure Monte Igueldo.Stunning view over the whole place !!!

c82e5de050a6642fa010fba53cea3ea4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom