Motorbike movers

RSavage

Reaction score
I have one of the Becker Technik ones, very good it is too

Thanks Nick

How rough is the surface that you use it on? I built my garage behind the original garage but retained the original slab. This is none too smooth and I would be using the mover to rotate the bike on this surface prior to backing it into the new garage, putting it back on the mover and shuffling it into a corner.

Am tempted by the 'wheel upgrade option'.

Cheers

Richard

I think the one with bigger wheels would be better if the floor surface is not so good. The floor in mine is wood and is fairly smooth, so the smaller wheels have not been an issue

there should be some info on here via other threads.....but here's my experience. I have 2 of these:

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artike...filter_article_number=10003235&list=348295969

one for my scooter and the other for my GS. Scooter works fine and is very convenient. Problem is with the GS. Its a hell of a job to get the thing onto its centre stand with the motor mover clearing another 1-2 cm's. Its almost impossible. So my solution is to get the back wheel onto a plank of wood and then lift it onto the mover. Much easier. Once its on it slots away against the back wall of my garage. So perfect.
I do have a tiled garage floor so its a lot easier. Can imagine if the floor were uneven it would be more of a challenge.
At this price you cant go wrong either.....

I think the one with bigger wheels would be better if the floor surface is not so good. The floor in mine is wood and is fairly smooth, so the smaller wheels have not been an issue

Thanks

There's no difference in wheel size - just the adition of ball bearings and different wheel material.

there should be some info on here via other threads.....but here's my experience. I have 2 of these:

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artike...filter_article_number=10003235&list=348295969

one for my scooter and the other for my GS. Scooter works fine and is very convenient. Problem is with the GS. Its a hell of a job to get the thing onto its centre stand with the motor mover clearing another 1-2 cm's. Its almost impossible. So my solution is to get the back wheel onto a plank of wood and then lift it onto the mover. Much easier. Once its on it slots away against the back wall of my garage. So perfect.
I do have a tiled garage floor so its a lot easier. Can imagine if the floor were uneven it would be more of a challenge.
At this price you cant go wrong either.....

Thanks Grantmac

Yep the lift is something that has given me pause for thought. The Becker-Tec has a ground clearance of 7mm whereas the eBay item has a clearence of 25mm so must be much harder to raise the GSA onto. I think that I will go for the Becker unit and add some self levelling compound to the turning area. Picture to follow!

almost gave me a hernia the first time I tried.....:blast but with the simple plank of wood, works a treat.
What I was really after was a motor mover where I could ride the bike onto, raise it electronically and them move it.....
Seems this sort of thing doesn't exist. I've seen hydraulic work benches / lifts but then not on wheels......

almost gave me a hernia the first time I tried.....:blast but with the simple plank of wood, works a treat.
What I was really after was a motor mover where I could ride the bike onto, raise it electronically and them move it.....
Seems this sort of thing doesn't exist. I've seen hydraulic work benches / lifts but then not on wheels......

:)

Richard

Pictures show approach to new garage - old garage base - and the best I can manage in terms of a close-up of the concrete.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 464
I use the Becker one on my 1150 Adventure. Fantastic bit of kit and makes moving the bike into awkward spaces in the garage really easy. My garage floor looks smoother than your, so be aware you may need to take it easy on your garage floor.

I use the Becker one on my 1150 Adventure. Fantastic bit of kit and makes moving the bike into awkward spaces in the garage really easy. My garage floor looks smoother than your, so be aware you may need to take it easy on your garage floor.

Thanks Luke. Unfortunately, the turning area is the old garage floor. The floor of my new garage is smooth. Maybe I need a turntable for the old floor and mover for the new floor???

Or a coat of exterior floor levelling compound on the old garage floor????

Cheers

Richard

Is there no room to turn the bike and then push it in reverse into the Garage or am I missing something?

Is there no room to turn the bike and then push it in reverse into the Garage or am I missing something?

You're not missing anything Andi - apart from the full picture :)

The garage is behind my house. The access down the side of the house is, perhaps, 25m in length and at the moment I gingerly paddle the bike that distance past all the usual junk that accumulates alongside a house backwards towards to the garage. I then dismount and wheel it into the garage. There isn't space for me to easily spin the bike around in front of the garage - a task that would have to be done on foot and would involve much backing and filling (I have tried). Thus, I want to be able to ride towards the garage and then spin the bike around easily before wheeling it backwards into the garage. Once in the garage I want to be able to move the bike to a location where it occupies as little space as possible.

Cheers

Richard

Finally bought the Becker Technik Rangier-As XL GP 400. Although the Rangier-As GP 320 is able to lift the GSA I chose the bigger version because it has 75mm rather than 50mm wheels. I was a bit anxious about getting the bike onto the main stand but, and I think that this is in no small part due to the really low deck height of the Becker units, it wasn't a problem. Once on the scoot it was very apparent where the C of G of the GSA is and I must remember not to bring it home with a full fuel tank. The front arm is quite tempting - but at 61 Euros I think that I might investigate making one!

Concerning smoothing the rough surface of my old garage floor: I was on a building site recently where the garages were being treated with self levelling compound, so I asked the bod about how to deal with a rough concrete surface that is outside and was told that Ardex K301 (http://www.ardex.co.uk/products/ardex-k-301) is the best exterior self-levelling compound. He did say, though, that the best finish is obtained by using what looked like a big squeegee to spread the compound evenly.

Thanks to all who replied to my enquiries.

Its good that you have found something however externally smoothing the ground is going to cause issues in Winter with grip amd water dispersment hence why there are ridges made in the concrete during construction.

Whats over to the right of the image could you not make an area to push the bike into so backing up could be achieved on one lock turn?

Its good that you have found something however externally smoothing the ground is going to cause issues in Winter with grip amd water dispersment hence why there are ridges made in the concrete during construction.

Whats over to the right of the image could you not make an area to push the bike into so backing up could be achieved on one lock turn?

Hi Andi

I think that the ridges in the old garage floor are more to do with it being laid in 1950 for a garage that was not waterproof. So, inadvertantly, an excellent non-slip surface was created!

From reading the technical spec of Ardex it seems that it can be finished with a brush to impart a certain amount of texture but I agree that creating an ice rink is undesirable :-0

The bit to the right of the garage door is my new slate patio. If I give you my wife's email address perhaps you would be able to convince her that it would make an ideal bike turning-area :)

Cheers

Richard

Its a pity they dont make a rear or front wheel pit stand with a gimble and rotatable wheels then it would be a whiz to turn the bike round

Back
Top Bottom