SW Motech tank bags advice

JerseyNeil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I looking to get a tank bag for my 2017 Rallye. I had the small BMW one on my previous bike (GS TC) and really liked it however the small BMW one for the WC looks a bit shit with all the straps.

I like the tidy method of attachment used by SW Motech but unfortunately no one stocks them in Jersey so I can't go and offer any up to the tank to see how they will look. I only want a small one.

Any of you got any experience of these smaller SW Motech tank bags fitted to a GS WC?

Neil

I have a givi bag on my gsa lc. I am happy with it and the tank lock system. JJH

I have the SW Motech micro and it's great. It fits like a glove with little to no obstructions.
Fits: wallet, phone, glasses, leatherman and a charging cable + usb connector, without the need for the expansion zip.

If you want to put more bits in, I saw the next size up at Motorrad Days over the weekend and it's also a compact option. Then things start to get 'big'.

I've got the Daypack and the GS Motech bags. Both are very good.

If you have keyless, make sure you get the correct tank ring.

script>

I found the Micro too small to carry anything useful, and the GS too big, so went for the City. Works great for me, and you can fit an iPad in as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 676
Great timing on this thread, I too am looking at exactly the same thing. The very small 2L micro bag is ticking the boxes at present. I only require to pop in it, a PMR radio attached to a Sena SR10 . I'm hoping these will both fit in but until I source a local supplier , won't know.
Yes, it's correct that there's a different GS ring connector for keyless

I am using the givi at the moment.
bb388662028b6ae37eb9cdc6c0a7bd52.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Thanks again. Really useful advice from all of you.
D.C., SW Motech have made a tank ring for keyless ride. Apparently it is slightly taller than non-keyless to avoid the base rubbing on the slightly prouder keyless petrol cap.

I have already got one (the tank ring). This thread is proving really helpful in deciding which bag. Always a faff when there are no dealers available to visit.

I am struggling to understand how the micro has only half the capacity of the 'day pack' considering the dimensions;

Day pack 30x21x15 = 5/9L
Micro 27x21x11 = 2.5/5L

Probably due to the expansion rib. Might have a much wider material on the Day version, so once unzipped it's bigger. Also the mounting plate takes up internal space on all sizes, so the extra few cm width around it allows for another few items.

I somewhat disagree with Xpilot: I have all the things in the micro as stated above and they're very useful. But it is very snug, no room for extras.

It depends on your needs. For empty pockets, micro all the way.
If you want some space: Day version. I feel anything bigger looks out of place.

I will take a pic today and show you closed and expanded with bits in.

Cheers Sprocket.
I have just found a Greek youtube video which compares the micro and the day pack side by side. even though the stated dimensions are similar the Day Pack is considerably bigger.

My mate has a Yamaha one (which I strongly suspect is made by SW Motech) and is the same dimensions as the Day Pack. I placed it it situ on my GS but to avoid interfering with full lock on the bars the bag has to over hang the slope of the tank quite a lot which does look a bit naff. I know it might be more practical but I don't like the way it looks.

Micro could be the way to go :thumb2

I've never been a fan of large tank bags. That's what panniers and luggage racks are for.
I saw a guy on an S1000RR with the biggest tankbag on the market - like XXL.
He was resting his head and neck on it - no lie. No visibility of the speedo or in fact any of dash - it came right up out of the bike to his face - ridiculous.

rnuTolr.jpg

vhEA0GC.jpg

N8K2Zut.jpg

Plus the iphone 6S with heavy duty case, that I took this pic on, is in there too.
And during border crossings, I can squeeze my gloves in (with a bit of mangling), all without expansion.
If I'm honest I have little love for the expansion zipper as it wobbles about unless you stuff it tight.

Thanks very much Sproket for taking time to do this. Very much appreciated.
Now haven't you got to get back on your TB and ride somewhere????? :thumb

Have a great trip. I'm really enjoying your vlogs.

Neil

I've got the tank ring kit for the GS which I will sell for 50% of the new price, so £15 + postage. It is the one for keyless ride bikes. This is now surplus to requirements as I've sold my SW-Motech tankbag separately. PM me if interested.

Fred

A6K-3047129-5699-X3.jpg

I've never been a fan of large tank bags. That's what panniers and luggage racks are for.
I saw a guy on an S1000RR with the biggest tankbag on the market - like XXL.
He was resting his head and neck on it - no lie. No visibility of the speedo or in fact any of dash - it came right up out of the bike to his face - ridiculous.

rnuTolr.jpg

vhEA0GC.jpg

N8K2Zut.jpg

Plus the iphone 6S with heavy duty case, that I took this pic on, is in there too.
And during border crossings, I can squeeze my gloves in (with a bit of mangling), all without expansion.
If I'm honest I have little love for the expansion zipper as it wobbles about unless you stuff it tight.

Sprocket is that the Micro or the Day ?

looks too big for what Im doing Adventure boy...nice price though .

+1 AdventureBoy. Too big for what I'm after.
Fred. Thanks for the great offer on the tank ring but I have already got one. Just fannying about which bag :aidan

+1 AdventureBoy. Too big for what I'm after.
Fred. Thanks for the great offer on the tank ring but I have already got one. Just fannying about which bag :aidan

Yes - sorry I missed the post where you said that, but another member responded, so sorry to hijack your thread to make a sale to someone else! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom