Cool Vest

DottyDog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm off to Spain in August. Trip from top to bottom over 3 days, holiday for 2 weeks and then another 3 days bottom to top - can't wait!

I'm slightly apprehensive of the heat as I know how hot it can get. I have Rukka Armaxais gear which I great, but was hot in the English hot weather we had a couple of weeks back. Budget won't allow for summer gear this year so looking at other options.

Any recommendations from anyone? Has anyone had any experience of cool vests. BMW do one I notice, at BMW prices!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got one and used it in 42 degree Spain with my Rallye suit and it was brilliant. Soaked it through at every stop.

I've used the Hyperkewl with good results in Spain under my mesh jacket

I have a Macna. It works very well and is worthy of consideration

Buy a Forcefield armoured shirt...... bundgy the Rukka to the back of the bike....... Bobs your uncle.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Went through eastern Turkey with the temps in the mid 40's wearing a cotton T shirt under a mesh jacket. Stopped every 30mins to pour a large bottle of water down the neck. I think drinking enough is the most important concern however. Tried one of those gel filled neckerchiefs but it didn't seem to do much

The other thing we did several times was to stop when we saw an agricultural irrigation sprayer near the road and nip underneath for a good soaking!

Hi

I've recently completed Route 66 and ended up buying the BMW kit in Amarillo. The temperature got up to nearly 49 degrees, and it certainly helped to a point. We ended up in shirtsleeves, which was the only practical way to go.

Cool Vests work due to the evaporation of the water drawing heat away from your body. They work a treat but can be expensive. If you are on a tight budget, or have limited carrying capacity when on a long trip try this:
Soak your T-shirt in cold water, wring it out so its just a bit wetter than damp, put it on (this might be a small struggle), get your jacket on, ride your bike.
Repeat when-ever you stop. It does the same job in the same way, and you've already got lots of T-shirts so no need to buy anything.
Plus you don't have to carry something that might take up space when you're at the cold bits of your trip.
Just my simple suggestion.

Soaking a snug in a cup of ice water during lunch on a hot day gives a lovely bit of relief for up to an hour.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Recently back from Spain and 39 degrees.

In the end, we just took our jackets off and road in T-shirts.

I am totally against riding in just a t-shirt.
I expect you are all now expecting me to talk about 'what if you come off, blah, blah'. Nope.
My problem is: yes you feel nice and cool when traveling, but you still get sun burnt.
Have you ever been hit by a bug at any speed when only in a shirt? They Really, Really hurt.
I have been hit by a big beetle when wearing leathers and traveling at speed and was left with a large bruise. Stuff that when wearing just a shirt.

Yes we were.

Loads of sun cream before setting off and yes the bugs did hurt at times.

Not a big beetle though...

But we were cooler and took the risk.

And it was great !

I am totally against riding in just a t-shirt.
I love it and will do it by choice if possible.
I expect you are all now expecting me to talk about 'what if you come off, blah, blah'. Nope.
That's something, I suppose.
My problem is: yes you feel nice and cool when traveling, but you still get sun burnt.
I'm just speculating here, but have you considered some sun cream?
Have you ever been hit by a bug at any speed when only in a shirt? They Really, Really hurt.
Ya big bubba!
I have been hit by a big beetle when wearing leathers and traveling at speed and was left with a large bruise. Stuff that when wearing just a shirt.
I have heard that there are some big futhamucka bugs in Romford.

Buying a vest to cool you down on a motorcycle smacks of fanatic gearism or someone with too much money to spend, or more likely, both.

Take you jacket off, pour a bottle of water over yourself.

Just a quick question about the vests - as these work by evaporation (and also the HyperKewl website says the more airflow, the better it cools) - can these be worn under an existing jacket and still work properly?

All these things are designed to go under a bike jacket.
Open all the vents you've got as it is the airflow that makes them work.

Back
Top Bottom