Mann filters.

milleplod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bolsover, no longer the home of the Beast.
I've used Mann oil filters (and sometimes Mahle) on my ST over the last 6 years. Does anyone else use them? Anything negative to report? I've spotted on t'web some reports of fake Chinese-produced ones being around, but would've thought that could apply to just about anything for sale these days. I bought my last 2 from Euro Car Parts, so would assume they're happy with their supply chain.

Pete

Genuine brand name filters should be fine but I'm not a fan of ECP. They are not especially good on prices and some of their own brand stuff is only average.

Agreed re ECP! 'Crossland' was a name I always associated with quality filters, but its owned by ECP now and apparently they're crap! With the latest 'discount code' (do folk really believe they're having a sale.....?!), the Mann filter was under £7 delivered, it fits the i3 car too, which is the only reason they stock it I assume.

A trader on one of the other forums said he wouldn't touch Mann with a bargepole, but didn't explain why, so I just wondered.

Pete

Most of the filters, oil and air, that ive bought for four wheeled vehicles in our household have been MANN and usually from ECP. Tend to stick to Filtrex for the bikes.

If I was that desperate to save a couple of quid I'd just back off the throttle a bit and save fuel.

The snag is how would you know if an oil filer is doing it's job until its too late?

Its a way for the big names to chock up their margin but TBH this is one area where I'd rather pay the premium.

The snag is how would you know if an oil filer is doing it's job until its too late?

Its a way for the big names to chock up their margin but TBH this is one area where I'd rather pay the premium.

Im pretty sure MANN wouldn't be producing sub standard filters would they ? They would be out of business pretty quick if they did.

Im pretty sure MANN wouldn't be producing sub standard filters would they ? They would be out of business pretty quick if they did.

Probably. But how would anyone know?

Maybe they are all the same. Maybe not.

Product A filters really well but soon clogs up so oil get bypassed. Result engine wear
Product B filters less well so never clogs up. Result = engine wear.
Product C is expensive but has lots of research to get the correct filter pore size so it clogs up just after the oil change period. Result engine has less wear.

Obviously Product C is the fancy name high price version we should all be buying. Or maybe not, but as it's making more profit, there's a better chance they've cut fewer corners. On law of averages I'll go with C - at least for stuff like oil filters.

The big question is "who makes the BMW filters"? Because when you know that you can buy their own branded stuff with confidence.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

MANN is a brand that has been around for decades. My dad use to have them in his garage when I was a nipper, so I certainly feel that its a Proper brand, and one that can be trusted. Hence when I need one I start by searching they're website to get a part no and then search the internet for the best price, which usually comes from ECPs. That hopefully then ensures they are genuine MANN rather than a chinese rip off copy, which is something I'd be more concerned about.
Greenman and Bendytoy are welcome to keep dealer profits high, at least there's a chance they'll still be around on the rare occasion I want or need them.
And IIRC OE bmw filters are Mahle brand.

I'm quite happy to avoid main dealer when they are silly money but the oil filter are not "that" bad. Brake pads are however another thing entirely. >£60 for a pair of rear brake pads. Oh yes please.

Heres a list of Mahle filters for BMW cars though they don't mention BMW bikes. You never know.

https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/ind...acturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=&x=29&y=4

Mobile plant and HGV engines use ultra fine bypass filters so the oil is very rarely changed. Filters are replaced and oil topped up but as the crap that normally depletes the oil is removed it lasts basically for ever. On cars & bikes its easier to change the oil.

We tested these in the oil lab at my place of work. The oil was normally changed every week - 45 gallons of the stuff. After fitting the filters (changed every week) the oil was still in spec after 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom